Boat insurance

Blackfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
Shop around, but I have both my Boats under BoatUS, which is now underwritten by Gieco,

and i am very happy with the cost of my covergae.

Reactions: Cy Bodden

Bassinbohndo

Slacker at BD Ad Sales
Has Moderator Powers
Aug 20, 2015
San Clemente
Name
Mike Bohn
Boat
Champion 187 SC
I have a 19' bass boat with a big OB and i found BOATUS as the most competitive plus i get a break on my TOWBOATUS card.

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
I have AAA and pay $126 for full coverage on my 22' Whaler Guardian with Yamaha F350 outboard.

Reactions: MikesOcean

Bassinbohndo

Slacker at BD Ad Sales
Has Moderator Powers
Aug 20, 2015
San Clemente
Name
Mike Bohn
Boat
Champion 187 SC
Shad Burke, thats a good deal. I actually had AAA on all of my toys cars and house and had a similar rate but i moved over to statefarm for a friend and put the boat under BOATUS.

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
AAA boat rate is standalone. I do get a discount on my AAA rate for auto as a result of the boat policy.

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
AAA boat rate is standalone. I do get a discount on my AAA rate for auto as a result of the boat policy.
I have had two quotes over the course of 14 years of owning a boat(s) from AAA. They have never been able to beat BoatUS for the same amount of coverage. (both on the Hatt and the cuddy), however, they did beat Boat US on my sea doo's, but only by about $25.

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
BoatUS (Geico). I just got full coverage on a Robalo R180 for $247, and that includes TowboatUS boat and trailer towing. Boat/trailer/stuff replacement value was $30K. Hope this helps.

phillyblunt

Jun 10, 2005
SD
Name
Philip
Boat
EVEN KEEL
This is great info. I use Geico as well.
But does anyone know about insurance for charters? 6pac?

gearshifter

Jul 18, 2008
San Diego
Name
Andy
Boat
None
Wow...boatus renew my Policy is $751 that’s without towing last year was $451

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
Our policy actually went down almost $100 to $469 through BoatUS/Geico, paid it yesterday. We mentioned how others were complaining about price increases and a roundabout answer was alluding to slipped boats not being maintained and a higher incidence of damages/claims, which goes back to what someone else mentioned on another thread that the vessels over 25 ft. were seeing most of the increase in premiums. One is more apt to put a 25+ footer in a slip than a smaller vessel. I think they ask on the policy whether you're primarily in a slip or on a trailer, which might be a bigger factor now.

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
Check your policy for Mexican waters........better find out now rather than later and have an ugly surprise. 1 degree south of Point Loma considered Mexican waters...not the land base boarder. Read your policy carefully.

Islandrat

Wish I was new
Aug 15, 2007
Camarillo
Name
Eric
Boat
Davis 22 to Radon 26 to Crystaliner 33
AAA covers to ensenada. Had 26 Radon and got a 33 Crystaliner...AAA is half the price for a bigger boat. But it does not have tow service built in.

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
I think they ask on the policy whether you're primarily in a slip or on a trailer, which might be a bigger factor now.
Yup. They asked me very directly where I would be storing my sled and if I had any plans on slipping her.

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
BoatUS (Geico). I just got full coverage on a Robalo R180 for $247, and that includes TowboatUS boat and trailer towing. Boat/trailer/stuff replacement value was $30K. Hope this helps.
I just got a policy with Geico as well. 25k agreed value on my 2004 21' striper, 3k trailer coverage, 300k liability, and 5k medical. Boat and trailer towing included for 357 dollars year. It's 59 bucks a year cheaper than state farm and I don't have to renew my BoatUS membership at 180 dollars every year as it's included in the policy.