Boat hunt advice needed

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
My CC is great. Yes, I have to pick my days and I don't mind being in the weather. Neither does my wife who is my fishing partner. Fishes two with ease, three pretty happily. Fuel economy is amazing and I only fuel about every third trip unless I'm going to Cat, then every other trip.

The boat fits in my garage with a swing tongue. Keeps the boat super clean and my maintenance is a breeze. Keep my battery charger plugged in and I get years more on my batteries as well.

I built the boat from the hull up and know every nut, bolt, wire and screw. Don't get an open transom boat. If you do, be prepared to enclose it. I did and won't go back to being open.

zing1402

• Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    I looked for a year! what helped me was to make a list of things the boat had to have and that eliminated a lot of the other boats out there. I just took my time and waited for something that worked with my budget and had what I wanted

Reactions: repo805

jondavies

Jan 30, 2012
    Pasadena
    Name
    jon
    Boat
    Sea Ox
    Imo, if you're going to do SERIOUS offshore fishing and you're only spending around $10,000 for the boat, you'd better REALLY know your stuff about boats, the ocean and outboards. At the very least, get a tow membership and have all the proper safety and communications gear.
    I wish i could afford a new boat but has never been feasible for me. I have never spent more than $12,000 on a boat and i have been happy with my choices so far. I wouldn't say i do "serious" offshore boating, but i dive inshore weekly and i go to the islands quite often when conditions allow.

To mitigate risks of an older boat/motor, I get the motor overhauled upon purchase and keep it serviced annually. I change filters and fluids regularly and stay on top of all other issues. I keep a good sea anchor on my boats, even with closed transoms.

In my opinion, a towing membership, vhf and a satellite messenging system (EPIRB, PLB, Spot etc) are non negotiable. I carry two vhf radios (1 fixed, 1 handheld), a Spot and a PLB, and I dont think twice when i get my Boat US renewal notice.