Dhiggs77

CHARKBAIT OOO HAHA
Aug 15, 2020
Orange County CA
Name
Dallas Higgins
Boat
1971 21’ Cavarelle Wahoo
I spent almost a year trying to fix up an old flybridge that ended with me needing to scrap it due to gas tank leakage. I learned ALOT about boats, I now have good fiberglassing skills among general boat repair skills. With that being said, I'm getting around to buying another boat. I got a bit of advice that, when you buy boat be honest and realistic with yourself about the cost per month and what you actually want to get out of the boat. Ive determined that I want something that can take me to the island on good days as well as fish pattys that come through the channel and around cat. Hopefully that will make up 40-50% of my fishing. The 60-50% will be fishing izors, pipe, and other local spots. From all that I've come to the conclusion that im looking at a 18-22ft center console. It seems like most can fish 3-4 people comfortably as well as use a affordable amount of gas depending on the engine and hull. Im looking to be going out probably 1-2 times a month. I have a furuno radar and chart plotter as well as a brand new Garmin echomap 94sv with the uhd trans. Its all set up and ready to be dropped into any boat. It seems like most the boats that fit my needs seem to be in the 8-12g range off places like offer up and craigslist. Does anyone have any things I should keep in mind? Any advice on what type of boat i should be looking at if not a center console in the specified length range. Is a 18 foot CC safe to be taking to look for pattys?
Thanks all.

Reactions: Grandpa
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Biggest fear should be soggy transom, stringers or hull. In fact, I would stay away from hulls that are cored below the waterline. Second biggest problem you know about -- leaking fuel tanks. Most everything else is fixable.

After that, it is getting a boat that suits your needs. Personally, I completely agree that in a boat of that size CC is the way to go. In fact, I am toying with the idea of buying a CC as a compliment to my current boat. It would be better for local day trips.

Edit:
As far as safety, a self-bailing cockpit is a major plus, although probably difficult to find in a CC of that size. At the other extreme you will see boats with a wide-open transom. Those boats are not safe in even choppy seas as they are one wave over the back away from a capsize.

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Get the biggest center console your truck can tow and park in your driveway. You will be able to fish more people on a smaller boat with an outboard. Also consider power cats.

Upvote 0

Dhiggs77

CHARKBAIT OOO HAHA
Aug 15, 2020
Orange County CA
Name
Dallas Higgins
Boat
1971 21’ Cavarelle Wahoo
im no stranger to soggy transoms. I sepnt a few months rebuilding the transom to the flybridge i had mentioned. The final nail in the coffin was the fuel tank had leaked into the stringers. When i go to buy a boat I will be EXTREMELY thorough in examining app aspects of the boat. Welded aluminum CC seem to be the best bang for your buck for fuel efficiency. Some of the klamaths are weighing in at 1000# after being powered at the 19ft mark.

Upvote 0

Jef

Almost A Member
Jun 16, 2015
Name
Jeff
Boat
None
In my opinion , You don’t buy a boat you buy a motor . A good outboard costs more then most older hulls

if the hull is great but the motor is an old crappy piece of junk that leaves you stranded in the channel then what’s the point .

personally I won’t buy a motor older than 3 year unless it’s got great service records .

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
My biggest concern is getting a surfing boat... In California you want a boat that can hold its line while the swells push your ass end around... That is why people love the bertram and radon hulls... A deep VEE gets you there in style but the betrams and Radons always make it home!

Center consoles give you a lot of fishing room and are fast but they sure are cold and wet...

Reactions: marlyn and sbsurfer
Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
type depends on type of use...coastal: an 18 to 23' is ok...Islands, doable but miserable to run home in afternoon wind and swells..minimum I suggest for offshore; at least a 23'er with some protection from the elements...Best day of my life was when I went to an enclosed cabin with a bunk.....if for some family use, women wear out quick when they are getting cold and wet....

Reactions: uglyducky
Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    CCs are all the rage these days I had an 18ft got beat and soaked plenty. I feel sorry watching my buddies freeze while hooping as Ill be 59 in july and love being out of the weather nice n warm being able to take a shit in the cuddie, My 2cents..........To each his own!

0C8D3672-9E51-42EA-8151-BD3B66E10045.jpeg

jm33.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
    Feb 28, 2004
    Sabre Springs
    Name
    Tom McKinney
    Boat
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    IMHO, a smaller boat that allows you to keep it in tip top shape and run for little money is the best thing. No need to fish 3 or 4. Just need room for 2, maybe 3.
    Find a guy with a bigger boat that is expensive to run. Fish inshore in your boat and offshore on his. You will find that time available, money and weather will keep you on your boat.
    Cant wait to sell my large and expensive Tiara and go back to an easy and cheap boat. At 1 mile to the gallon, the boat just sits, especially when gas at the dock qas over 5 bucks a gallon.

Love my boat when on it. Fun and beautiful, but the fuel bills and the other costs are too much.

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    I have had my 22 CC (hull measures 20'not deep V) 15yrs maybe longer and I love that you can walk all the way around when the Big Biscuit's dictate. And its easyer to stay out of each others way.

But I have been Pounded & Drowneded for too long!! That is why Im just about to start the 20' Skipjack Pilothouse / outboard conversion I have got in my yard...Going to get a Shox pedestal.

Its nice to fish the islands when you don't have to be back the same day. More fishing less boat ride...Poor mans Radon

Last edited:
    Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Dhiggs,

Buddy your biggest problem right now is lack of used boats for sale. You're going to have to have money in hand and when one pops up, its go time.

I tend to always go against the trends but here is just a few thoughts.

I have always owned Makos, from 1985 until last May. I owned 17fters up to 25 and the best all around size imho was my 224 CC. 22FT 4in center console that walked away from more popular 25 ft boats on the water

20180624_055426.jpg

My current boat is a 27ft Grady center console.

Upvote 0

Grandpa

Old Guy
  • Aug 15, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    Albemarle Express "Lily Rose"
    Had a 26’ express on a trailer for years.
    Got to be too much to launch solo and drag around.
    Bought a 21’ CC and ran it for 4 years.
    Got tired of getting wet and beat up coming home from the islands.
    No head and nowhere to get out of the weather.
    Went back to an express and put it in a slip.
    Best move we’ve made in a boat.
    We use the boat ten times more now...

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    I don’t mind being cold and wet. I’m fishing . I don’t need to comfortable.
    A Mexican Panga... It's for fishing.

Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Panga...

Upvote 0

2Fisted

Sep 25, 2018
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    rob
    Boat
    Boston Whaler
    I’ve got a Nantucket 190 CC. Ive always felt safe. It’s easy to launch solo, economical to run and easy maintenance. With a 60 gallon tank I get multiple izor, horseshoe, pv loops between refueling.

Upvote 0

woolybugger

Mar 7, 2006
    San pedro
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 1801 cc
    As much i as i want a pilothouse the fact my parker 1801 gets around 4mpg is hard to beat it fits in my driveway easy to deal with etc i cant justify the operating costs of a larger boat as much as i want too.
    I dont actually get wet very often as im good about picking my days and dont think the ride is all that bad but im used to small boats. I rocked a 15ft zodiac for years.

Upvote 0

airslot

Jun 1, 2005
    n. ca
    Name
    Tom La
    Boat
    Mako 184
    I totally agree with Wooly. I pick my days so getting wet and pounded is not that bad. Yes the weather can turn but again most my days of fishing is calm. I have a 18-1/2’ mako and looking to get a little bigger but my boat fits my yard and easy to manage.

Upvote 0

Dhiggs77

CHARKBAIT OOO HAHA
    Aug 15, 2020
    Orange County CA
    Name
    Dallas Higgins
    Boat
    1971 21’ Cavarelle Wahoo
    Dhiggs,

Buddy your biggest problem right now is lack of used boats for sale. You're going to have to have money in hand and when one pops up, its go time.

I tend to always go against the trends but here is just a few thoughts.

I have always owned Makos, from 1985 until last May. I owned 17fters up to 25 and the best all around size imho was my 224 CC. 22FT 4in center console that walked away from more popular 25 ft boats on the water

View attachment 1254462

My current boat is a 27ft Grady center console.
    It seems like the boat market is scarce atm. If we get chovies back im sure that will fix the problem.

Reactions: cortezpirasea
    Upvote 0

Dhiggs77

CHARKBAIT OOO HAHA
    Aug 15, 2020
    Orange County CA
    Name
    Dallas Higgins
    Boat
    1971 21’ Cavarelle Wahoo
    I totally agree with Wooly. I pick my days so getting wet and pounded is not that bad. Yes the weather can turn but again most my days of fishing is calm. I have a 18-1/2’ mako and looking to get a little bigger but my boat fits my yard and easy to manage.
    Like you said, pick your days. I mean when you go from a 18ft with a 150 on the back to a flybridge with a 350 HP inboard your pretty much doubling your gas usage. Sure you may have more options but you will pay for it. As of now CC are the move.

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    There is an anderson for sale in the classifieds... kind of center consolish... But I wouldn't be scared to fish that anywhere.

Reactions: Dragon
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    My Robalo R180 took me safely 30 miles into Mexican waters and back.

However it was purchased new, complete with warranty and everything.

I needed to know my vessel was reliable taking it that far and I also knew my limitations as it was only my 2nd boat and also my first offshore going boat. So I threw money at the problem since I didn't want to be loving my wallet but cursing my brain if I bought an older boat that left me dead in the water for any reason.

Imo, if you're going to do SERIOUS offshore fishing and you're only spending around $10,000 for the boat, you'd better REALLY know your stuff about boats, the ocean and outboards. At the very least, get a tow membership and have all the proper safety and communications gear.