murderNmako

Capitan
Jan 15, 2007
Valley Center
Name
Bryan
Boat
24 skipjack
Not sure if i am posting this in the correct section... So here is my situation, Yesterday I was tied up to the dana landing public dock when some yahoo in his POS decided to hit me at about 5 knots and then proceed to full throttle out of his poor decision.. To make it better it was probably about a &500 dollar boat that hit me and he had no proof of insurance.. yay me. Well To the subject of my boat, I have never had to have glass repaired before and I am afraid this damage may be structural due to the fact i can see the crack from inside my pilot house. If any you guys on here can shoot me some advice as to a reputable shop that will do it in a timely manner and do a good job please let me know. Thanks guys.

d5ab5f7a-934a-485c-8ec9-75bf55330a93.jpg a15de3cd-77ea-4557-b905-b9fffba0ad97.jpg

Upvote 0

zarco

i got crabs on my dinghy!
Dec 6, 2005
LAKESIDE
Name
jason
Boat
26` blackman billfisher,19.5' buccaneer center console.( from New Zealand)
Grind and glass! Easy Peasy!

Upvote 0

grey goose

Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach CA.
Name
Darrell
Boat
17' Whaler, 26' Blackman
Looks like you have good access from inside to do a self repair using west systems product. after the outside is polished out the damage there will be more evedent.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
take a couple hours and watch this guy's videos there are about 7 parts each 20 minutes or so
this link is the last one.I've never done it but after watching this extremely detailed how to series even a novice should be able to get a good patch.

Upvote 0

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
Couldn't get the video to load. Anyway, the strongest is to completely remove (grind out) all broken glass fibers from both sides and overlap/feather in a patch from both sides. There are details and cautions, but a pro should know.

Upvote 0

chatt

Chasing fish
May 8, 2012
Lompoc, Pt. Arguello Ca.
Name
chatt
Boat
Radon 21
Damn that sucks! Did you kick the guys face in? I would have.
Not sure if i am posting this in the correct section... So here is my situation, Yesterday I was tied up to the dana landing public dock when some yahoo in his POS decided to hit me at about 5 knots and then proceed to full throttle out of his poor decision.. To make it better it was probably about a &500 dollar boat that hit me and he had no proof of insurance.. yay me. Well To the subject of my boat, I have never had to have glass repaired before and I am afraid this damages have may be structural due to the fact i can see the crack from inside my pilot house. If any you guys on here can shoot me some advice as to a reputable shop that will do it in a timely manner and do a good job please let me know. Thanks guys.

View attachment 752948 View attachment 752949
The glassing and grinding part is a no brainier. Grind all areas you want to cover with glass, wipe down with acetone mix resin and use cloth glass and a small paint roller too apply. Hard part is getting paint too match. Gel coat I'm sure? Sorry what a bum deal!!!

Upvote 0

PaDDy Killer'

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
If I was keeping the boat with no plans of selling I would fix it myself. Fiber glassing is not that difficult. But the finish work is the tricky part. I would hate to sell the boat and possibly scare off a potential buyer with my not so clean finish work or gelcoat matching. I don't know you or your skills level but if you can post on this forum you can repair that damage. Making it look pretty is another story.

Upvote 0

meandmyself

Who knows
Aug 5, 2012
san jose
Name
edgar teixeira
Boat
1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
have you talked to your insurance, you may have to pay a deductible. being a Parker I would have it repaired correctly, if it was some old run about a patch job would be fine. just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
have you talked to your insurance, you may have to pay a deductible. being a Parker I would have it repaired correctly, if it was some old run about a patch job would be fine. just my 2 cents.
No matter the boat, it is easy to do a patch job yourself. It will be plenty strong and you will save a bunch of cash. Could always then take it to a place for finish work.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
I'm still shocked at how there is such a lacking of docks at the most frequented san diego launch ramps. That Dana Landing ramp could use a long dock right in the center of that wide ass ramp.

Sorry for your damage. Do you see significant damage underneath that gelcoat cracking on the inside? Based on the picture on the outside, i'm thinking the damage could have just been the gelcoat cracking on the inside from the fiberglass flexing from the impact.

Usually on a true piercing, the fiberglass damage can be seen from both sides. I've got my fingers crossed that this is only a gelcoat job for you.

Fyi, Cecil Marine on the east coast sells small bottles of Parker matched gelcoat. However, one thing you need to keep in mind is that your hull is already a tiny bit sun faded so when applying the Parker matched gelcoat, it will be a little darker than your hull. Something to keep in mind if you do it yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

live2fish

I've got bugs...
Apr 3, 2005
North OC
Name
Eric
Boat
14' livingston cat, 15’ radon, Parker 2320 @ez_sportfishing
Damn I don't know if I would have Been able to to keep a level head... Did u get any of that douches info? Your ins may be able to get something? What was the boat so I can keep the boat on the trailer if we see him? Haha

Reactions: Spoons
Upvote 0