Boat for Hawaii

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by smcelfresh, Dec 2, 2017.

1. smcelfresh

smcelfresh smckillfish

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    22' Hewes Sea Runner
    Getting ready to move to Hawaii from Whidbey Is. WA, it looks like the used boat selection is pretty slim with a lot of recycled boats. I'm considering buying a boat on the mainland and shipping it or modifying my 22' Hewescraft searunner and shipping it there.
    Any thoughts from my BD brothers?

2. FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets Fishin fo' Nutrition!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    I think the rationale for not having aluminum in the tropics is that it heats up in the sun and gets too hot to touch. Same factors could influence bait or fish storage if hold are uninsulated.

3. smcelfresh

smcelfresh smckillfish

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    22' Hewes Sea Runner
    Good point, even with our short and sometimes lame summers the boat does get hot when in full sun.

4. Noah & Scoot

Noah & Scoot Wishin I Was Fishin

Name:
    Scoot
    Boat:
    18’ CC Baja
    Bertram is a classic island boat!

5. patnrex

patnrex member

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    26' Striper
    I shipped my Seaswirl Striper 2601 to Maui, where it still is, about 2 years ago. It handles the seas here well. I fish and dive off it. There are some nice fishing boats made here in the islands. They are similar to the Radon and are built well though not very 'fancy" for the lack of a better description. But they work well at catching. Most have built in fish holds and outboards. They are pretty much a fiberglass shell with engines and the other necessities.

It cost me $7500 to ship my boat from Long beach on Matson. The process is easy and I had no issues. There is a limited selection of boats on the islands but if you wait and shop you may be able to get a good boat at a fair price. Boats do seem to bring a higher price than on the mainland due to limited availability.

On Maui there is very limited marina space and it is very expensive so plan on a trailerable boat. Check on storage fees if your property does not have space for your boat and trailer. The ramps are steep here so make sure your trailer can handle that as well. I don't see a lot of aluminum boats here for what it is worth. Other than a couple of the big charter scuba boats.

My suggestion would be to wait until you have been here at least several months and research the local waters and boat selection. Though shipping my boat was a good decision since it handles well here and was already paid off.

Good luck on your move, Aloha.

6. smcelfresh

smcelfresh smckillfish

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    22' Hewes Sea Runner
    Thanks guy's all good info.

7. sbsurfer

sbsurfer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
    Radon's are are very popular on the islands and worth a pretty penny over there. If you're up north you could find a decently priced one to take with you.

8. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    This one is for Sale.. Several folks from Hawaii like Boston Whalers. Comes with full enclosures, forward cuddy cabin, removable rear seat, low hour fresh water Yamaha 225 < 320 hours.

FE7E13B4-DFE7-470C-96B3-8A8D5EFE991F.jpeg DCE1C078-72E4-4B85-98A4-3D99D1AB8E2E.jpeg 1DACE7CB-94CF-4410-8BF8-6B024304CE16.jpeg D0CDD00F-CD79-40EE-B093-F712C49359E0.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  9. Bigeasy

Bigeasy yeah, yeah!

Name:
    Eric W.
    Boat:
    Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
    That's nice! How much are you asking for it?