Mocruz1200

Probably on a panga somewhere down south
Apr 17, 2013
midway city
Name
Moises
Boat Name
None
ive had deckhands not gaff a halibut on my line when it was well within gaffing range and hten had the fish spit the hook when i was in a jackpot. coincidentally, one of the crews friends won the jackpot with a boccacio and gave them the entire jackpot earnings. so no thanks, i wont join in the jackpot.

Upvote 0

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
Las Vegas
Name
Dan
Boat Name
Music, Red Rooster, America Angler, Polaris Supreme
I have a buddy who always wants perch included in the jackpot. In our 5 and 6 day trips he spends the entire day up on the bow with a Zebco fishing for perch. To each his own, I guess.

Reactions: rhartung84
Upvote 0

rhartung84

Sep 25, 2022
Name
Robert Hartung
Boat Name
None
First off I make over $250 a day. Just to subside any spiteful jackpot controversy...Are there rules in a jackpot?

What should happen if I purchase my entry into a Jackpot, and become disqualified based on a deckhands choice of who they feel should win?

I hooked up what was thought to be a sea lion, but surprisingly my spool slowed down. A couple within earshot of me, not my screaming spool, began saying, "Jackpot fish," but I knew the deepsea trip was not close to ending. Congratulations were exclaimed multiple times to my face, and reasuured fellow angelers that there was a significant chance. Plenty of time remained, becuse it was pretty much the first run; moreover, obviously the big fish were certainly off the beautiful coast of catalina island! Got some agitated looks from anglers who wanted the jackpot (you know how it goes). One time an angler separate from myself pulled up a competitive fish, but only the head. Darn sea lions! Directly after the captain said we had to head back, the deckhands did not announce the jackpot to the entire boat. One of the deckands stated, "He walked into the gallery and told everyone out loud," but nobody saw him or heard him. He apparently lied for no known reason. Nobody saw him, nor heard him and was "offered" a phone number if I desired help. Afterward, I talked to many, and many did not know the deckhands called jackpot. I retained anothers phone number who thought a travesty of professionalism occured. The second person was key because his position atop the deck close to this "calling." He said they did it super quietly, barely hearing them (literally, he was right next to them at the bait tank). He couldent explain how mean it looked. He confessed not appreciating how jackpot took place. My question is what does that mean for a jackpot? Can deckhands select who they feel is most suitable based on personal experience and opinion? There must be a posted rule, or open announcement that includes the entire boat that justifies my situation! Are there rules for the gamble? What is fair in a situation like this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rhartung84

Sep 25, 2022
Name
Robert Hartung
Boat Name
None
I don't participate in the JP.

Consider the same, your problems will be solved.
I'll be optimistic, and just give 100% to the crew! That way I don't loose anything, but the $5. It's not my money anyway, it's God's according to my Christian beliefs. Besides, the biggest fish is the most fun to catch!

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat Name
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
If the religion you choose to believe in considers gambling a "sin", why subject yourself to the wrath of god?

Upvote 0

rhartung84

Sep 25, 2022
Name
Robert Hartung
Boat Name
None
If the religion you choose to believe in considers gambling a "sin", why subject yourself to the wrath of god?
I fish too! LOL!
All jokes aside, Jesus Christ selected fishermen as his disciples, his loving apostles.
It's for a good cause. I don't participate in the lottery, but will play the quarter sliding game at the laundromat.
I hope that helps! Thank you for your guidance One_Leg!

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

rhartung84

Sep 25, 2022
Name
Robert Hartung
Boat Name
None
I fish too! LOL!
All jokes aside, Jesus Christ selected fishermen as his disciples, his loving apostles.
It's for a good cause. I don't participate in the lottery, but will play the quarter sliding game at the laundromat.
I hope that helps! Thank you for your guidance One_Leg!
Thank you for your support!

Upvote 0

rhartung84

Sep 25, 2022
Name
Robert Hartung
Boat Name
None
That's not what was told to me about the PA. I guess your insights better than what I heard, now. You shouldn't call me a potential whiner, please. Many were there and agreed with me. That's my statement, and really, the reason I have a good learning curve here. Going against everyone is not my fopaux today I just want more insight lazyfisherman, so I will "act" with more understanding next time. My generality statment is, nobody said I have to do anything anything on the boat! Furthermore, people, kept posting, and I have contributed to every post. Im just staying focused, and hope you dont take offence. I actually learned a lot from everyone, if you read everything. In fact, I'll now give 100% of the jackpot to the deckhands. Really, your guidance is probably helping more than hurting me, once again. I'll stop so accusations don't begin.

Thank you for your post everyone! Your guidance has increased my fishing skills!!!! If you want me commenting, have a question, etc. Let me know and I'll respond.

Upvote 0