Boat drives up in Newport....nobody onboard.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
The more days that go by without a body floating up, the greater the chance that it wasn't a death. Excuse me if that didn't sound quite right, I have had a few brews.

Water is on the cooler side right now..... I'm guessing another day or two and we will hear something :(

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I wish I knew how to make those little symbols to evoke emotions. Probably would be misunderstood less often. But, sadly, I think you are probably right.

Directly above where you are replying, you will see a bunch of different symbols. Those are for you to use (if you wish) to do different things in within your post or reply. You can change the font, make it bold, change to different colors, underline, and more. Oh yeah, and you can also click on the little smiley face at the top left and it will bring up all the different emojis you can use.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
You :notworthy :notworthy:notworthy
Directly above where you are replying, you will see a bunch of different symbols. Those are for you to use (if you wish) to do different things in within your post or reply. You can change the font, make it bold, change to different colors, underline, and more. Oh yeah, and you can also click on the little smiley face at the top left and it will bring up all the different emojis you can use.

:beerbang:

Now I just need to figure out how to control spacing'

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I remember a guy I had fished with a few years back. He left Oceanside solo on his boat with his dog. The dog made it back...
Makes you wonder .

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I was coming from Pedro to LB today at noon 3 helicopters in sight searching....

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Anything new?

Upvote 0

MikesOcean

Jun 23, 2011
    San Pedro
    www.marinabaywatch.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Therapist
    Very sad news....

In 2015, I was one of the idiots chasing those stupid wahoo and never got one.

On one particular solo mission, I left early in the dark with a heading to Catalina. I hit this big swell in the dark that threw me clear across the boat that literally almost threw me out of the boat. No lanyard, no life jacket, and no wahoo.

Big learning experience. Fuck wahoo!!!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Fell mob kill switch(fell marine).This is what I use,inexpensive life insurance.
    If you fish solo and dont take precaution you are being foolish.

fell mob kill switch.jpg

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    isthis a dependable system? i tried to organize a group buy with autotether a while back, but many had concerns about the unit.....hows this one?

Reactions: Willdoggy
    Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    attached to your pfd? really? nobody is going to do this. Fish with a friend. Problem solved.

Prayers for a safe return.
    Unless you were the 2 guys off dana a few years ago that the steering cable broke while cruising and caused the boat to make a 90 degree turn dumping them both in the water.

Upvote 0

tamddo714

Almost A Member
    Jul 1, 2013
    Orange county, CA
    Name
    Butt Hunter
    Boat
    Proline 23 Sport
    Unless you were the 2 guys off dana a few years ago that the steering cable broke while cruising and caused the boat to make a 90 degree turn dumping them both in the water.

I know the person that survived that incident. He was in the water for about 3-4 hours. He said initially cg retrieved the boat but did not find them in the water the first time. And then he got rescued not too long after. His buddy unfortunately did not make it.

Reactions: makairaa
    Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    I know the person that survived that incident. He was in the water for about 3-4 hours. He said initially cg retrieved the boat but did not find them in the water the first time. And then he got rescued not too long after. His buddy unfortunately did not make it.
    It was a sad event. It made me start wearing a PFD though.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
    Aug 23, 2004
    Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
    Name
    RICK
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    my wife used to worry about me going out by myself. i'd tell her my boat is a "life jacket", and it can't sink. I tie a rope around the t top like a seat belt, so I could pee while under way. one of the best things about whalers is the it can't sink.... good for the boat , but not you , if you're not prepared. one of the worst things about whalers is they can't sink, and can give you a false impression of invulnerability. I've gone out many times, by myself, when my crew cancels because of weather. i'd always think what the f am I doing, but catch fish, and forget my stupidity. I stopped my solo trips 2 years ago.

Upvote 0

karlk1125

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 20, 2008
    Bodega Bay
    Name
    Karl Kobler
    Boat
    2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”
    I do a lot of salmon trolling up here, and the only time I went out by myself (just a 1.5nm out of the harbor) I was adjusting the downrigger line and my boot slipped and I almost took a drink. That scared the living shit out of me. If someone is fishing by themselves, they HAVE to wear a PDF with a handheld radio and a EPIRB.

Upvote 0

agrazela

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    2000 Sea Hunt Triton 172 / 2014 Merc OptiMax 125
    isthis a dependable system? i tried to organize a group buy with autotether a while back, but many had concerns about the unit.....hows this one?

I got the Fell Marine MOB+ system for my 17'CC that I am often solo on, to try to avoid this very situation. Fit right into the same hole my original Merc kill switch was in.

Here's the rub, though...first one I got (from an amazon seller) did not function correctly: Fob would link up to Basepack, and would cut the motor if you pressed the Fob button, but would not do the engine shut-off thing no matter how far away the Fob got from the Basepack. Returned for refund.

Bought another (from a different amazon seller)...this one, unlike the first one, had a UPC bar code sticker on the package that said "new unit," and included electrical connectors that the first one did not. This clued me in that the first one must have actually been a "return / refurb" or somesuch, even though advertised as "new." This one cuts the motor at about 75' away on land, and about 30' away when tested on the water (tested by putting fob in a small plastic jar and floating on the end of a fishing line), just as it is supposed to.

So, will it be dependable? Who the hell knows. But a heckuva lot less cumbersome than remembering to hook/unhook the lanyard to a belt loop every time you move away from the helm.

Reactions: Willdoggy
    Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    I got the Fell Marine MOB+ system for my 17'CC that I am often solo on, to try to avoid this very situation. Fit right into the same hole my original Merc kill switch was in.

Here's the rub, though...first one I got (from an amazon seller) did not function correctly: Fob would link up to Basepack, and would cut the motor if you pressed the Fob button, but would not do the engine shut-off thing no matter how far away the Fob got from the Basepack. Returned for refund.

Bought another (from a different amazon seller)...this one, unlike the first one, had a UPC bar code sticker on the package that said "new unit," and included electrical connectors that the first one did not. This clued me in that the first one must have actually been a "return / refurb" or somesuch, even though advertised as "new." This one cuts the motor at about 75' away on land, and about 30' away when tested on the water (tested by putting fob in a small plastic jar and floating on the end of a fishing line), just as it is supposed to.

So, will it be dependable? Who the hell knows. But a heckuva lot less cumbersome than remembering to hook/unhook the lanyard to a belt loop every time you move away from the helm.

thank you!
    when i looked into this technology auto tether was about the only game in town, and many on here had expressed concern about things they had heard or read about the company. between that and the poor communication i got from the company the group buy fell apart. i'll look at this pretty hard! thanks again!

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    If someone is fishing by themselves, they HAVE to wear a PDF with a handheld radio and a EPIRB.

When the prev poster said he wears an EPIRB, I figured that he is confused. But now seeing a second with that thought, maybe it is I who is confused. So far as I know, EPIRBs are way too big to be conveniently carried on a life jacket. Have those things gotten a lot smaller, or are you all thinking PLB?

Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    When the prev poster said he wears an EPIRB, I figured that he is confused. But now seeing a second with that thought, maybe it is I who is confused. So far as I know, EPIRBs are way too big to be conveniently carried on a life jacket. Have those things gotten a lot smaller, or are you all thinking PLB?
    Probably the SPOT locators, not actual epirbs.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I do a lot of salmon trolling up here, and the only time I went out by myself (just a 1.5nm out of the harbor) I was adjusting the downrigger line and my boot slipped and I almost took a drink. That scared the living shit out of me. If someone is fishing by themselves, they HAVE to wear a PDF with a handheld radio and a EPIRB.

Certainly important items but a kill switch needs to be included on the list.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Well when i fish alone, i have a string tied to my ignition switch fob that shuts my motors down if pulled out ( the yamaha thing ) and I tie it to my inflatable vest . the string is long enough for me to get to the back of the boat to the trolling rods, and no I have not tested it by falling overboard...
    I was in that deal with autotheter that went upside down,, screw that company...

Upvote 0