Boat cooling system

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by MAL44, Dec 13, 2013.

1. MAL44

MAL44 Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Proline 170
    How long should I wait for water to start pumping? I have a 1995 mercury/ force, force mercury and when I started it no water pumped for about 1 minute then only a trickle after about 2 minutes. The temp gauge didn't move and the engine was not hot to touch, I'm used to my stern drive that pumped good water after a minute, any advice?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. Done_Deal

Done_Deal Member

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    19' Home Built
    Your water pump is shot. Do not run the engine until you replace it.

3. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Had a 99 120 force, check t stat & if tubing outlet is clogged. Top 2 cylinders run hotter, that is where most failures occur. They get hot and head gasket fails. Run mix at 40 to 1, keep rpm' s below 4000, clean plugs before every trip and carry spares. This will prolong life. And lastly, replace impeller , $10. Good luck

4. MAL44

MAL44 Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Proline 170
    Thanks for the reply, I put the boat in a tub of water and it seems to pump good now, I read somewhere that when on the cups it will suck air and water and I'm sure that's what was happening, the engine still trickles at idle but pumps good at higher rpms, thanks again for the advice

5. JUST-IN-TIME

JUST-IN-TIME BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH

Name:
    RICH-E-RICH
    Boat:
    22' GRADY WHITE JUST-IN-TIME
    Never run a motor over idle on the muffs seen way too many overheat problems caused by this, that's why now they have a flush hose

6. Stomper

Stomper Clatu Verada Fishon

Name:
    Robert Reed
    Boat:
    15 foot pilothouse trihull with radar and other electronics from hell
    Yea, they always pump better when the LU is submerged rather than on muffs. Having said that, I had a pumping issue that was caused by the pump tube from the LU to the power head losing it's seal on the lower unit. That can be inspected when you change the impeller because usually both require that the lower unit be removed. The other items mentioned above should also be checked.