Big Bay Yachts

Johnny Ringo

May 6, 2019
Alabama
Name
Johnny Ringo
Boat
Glastron
I had the same email address trying to scam me last week and over the weekend. We Googled the address and came across this post. I copied it and posted it in an email reply back to "David Charles" and I have not heard back from him. My wife is a banking and mortgage lawyer so she was familiar with the certified cashier check scam. This morning I had another suspicious inquiry on my boat. I'm going to have fun with it for a little while.

Reactions: mmonti
Upvote 0

jgy

Almost A Member
May 29, 2008
SF Bay Area, CA
Name
James
Boat
Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
Lots of scammers on boattrader. Beware!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Ah, you had the pleasure of doing business with the King of Nigeria..

Upvote 0

Surf2Dirt

Almost A Member
Mar 24, 2007
SoCal
Name
Sean
Boat
9' Avon
I’m kind of opposite and actually look forward to these A-holes trying to scam me. I see how long I can keep F’n back and forth with them. I know that it’s a complete waste of my time but hey I’m retired so what else better do I have to do.

The last one actually had the audacity to call me a “dishonest person.” Seriously, are you kidding me?

Upvote 0

hardrider5

Master
Sep 4, 2003
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
Parker 2520
Guys, just want to let you know there is a scam going on targeting boat sellers. I just went through it and sniffed it out before I got burned. I got an email within a couple of hours of listing my boat on Boat Trader. The email address is [email protected] and he and I went back and forth with some very basic Q&A about the boat. He then made me an offer almost my asking price which I said ok to. No survey, sea trial, or even look at the boat-suspicious! Then it got very suspicious when his phone number was in Miami, he gave me an address in Austin which was a UPS/Western Union store, and when I called him out on it he sent me a picture his fake TX drivers license. I told him to call me and he replied that he was deaf. I said i'm not selling him the boat. Then today the check shows up via USPS for $5500 more then the asking price. Here is how the scam works - he said he's sorry but his financier (who the F has a financier and what is a financier) over paid and the $5500 was supposed to go to the shipper. He said to deposit the check and then said to mail the difference to the shipper. I never got to the point of contacting the shipper but I called Landmark Credit Union where the check was from and gave the person the check number and it wasn't from them and a scam. She said they have had a lot of scammed checks.

Always call the bank. Im sitting on an $8500 cashier check they wanted me to deposit in my bank and then buy Postal Money orders and send them to them deducting a fee. I told them I was out of town and then I called the bank in Florida to find the check was fake. Funny thing is this is so common the FBI nor Postal Inspectors had any interest in looking into the scam. My wife works for the post office and they get frequent stand up meeting talking about the fraud gimmicks.

Upvote 0

ja73

Almost A Member
Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
I was selling a car a few years ago and talking with the “buyer” on the phone.
In short, the guy said he wanted the car and he had the money, but it was in the form of a few money orders.
I told him I won’t accept money orders, but since they’re probably blank, just write them out to yourself, cash them, and then you can give me the money.
He told me it was easier to just give me the money orders, which I told him, dude cash king.
In a pissed off voice the guy said, well that’s great, YOU just killed the deal!
LOL Asshole scammers.

Last edited:
Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
They run this scam on craigslist on just about everything I sell. I play along and they overnight me a check, then I tell them to go to F*** Themselves. I figure it cost them 15 bucks in overnight fees .. lol I contacted the FBI, they said unless they take physical custody of the boat, no crime has been committed. Pretty sad

Upvote 0

Wolfman4

Wolfman
Feb 20, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Quidort
Boat
C-Dory
Guys, just want to let you know there is a scam going on targeting boat sellers. I just went through it and sniffed it out before I got burned. I got an email within a couple of hours of listing my boat on Boat Trader. The email address is [email protected] and he and I went back and forth with some very basic Q&A about the boat. He then made me an offer almost my asking price which I said ok to. No survey, sea trial, or even look at the boat-suspicious! Then it got very suspicious when his phone number was in Miami, he gave me an address in Austin which was a UPS/Western Union store, and when I called him out on it he sent me a picture his fake TX drivers license. I told him to call me and he replied that he was deaf. I said i'm not selling him the boat. Then today the check shows up via USPS for $5500 more then the asking price. Here is how the scam works - he said he's sorry but his financier (who the F has a financier and what is a financier) over paid and the $5500 was supposed to go to the shipper. He said to deposit the check and then said to mail the difference to the shipper. I never got to the point of contacting the shipper but I called Landmark Credit Union where the check was from and gave the person the check number and it wasn't from them and a scam. She said they have had a lot of scammed checks.
Thats a variation of one of the oldest scams on Craigslist!

Upvote 0

Soulakala

Almost A Member
Oct 23, 2019
Ocean Park, Wa
Name
Chuck
Boat
Weldcraft 24' Ocean King

Upvote 0

Soulakala

Almost A Member
Oct 23, 2019
Ocean Park, Wa
Name
Chuck
Boat
Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
Great heads up. This is a variant to similar rip offs. The sad part is they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't have some success along the way.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Beware Beware
Another scammer "lasar 98" zero messages sends me this reply to WTB thread:

Contact Micheal in Texas, He has a yamaha 2005 3.3ci 225 4s Cowling for sale. Here's his email [email protected]

Beware...

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2017
LA
Name
Christian Siembieda
Boat
Burgers N Fries
This also happens with expensive electronics. It happened to me on my first and only WTB post on BD. Posted a WTB for a used Furuno CH260 sonar. Guy responds with a good price. I ask for photos. He sends me a photo that I recognize from a previous sale on BD. Ask for more photos. He sends more previous sale photos from a used electronics vendor in Florida that I had used previously. Had I not done a ton of prior research and this unit not being a high volume item, i could've gotten easily duped.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
.Some day some one will actually go to the address of the "Shipper" and confront them directly . They must be a participant in the scam as that is where the money is sent. And we all know how to get to the root of any problem,,, just follow the money !!! Come to think about it the "Shipper" probably is the scammer. Betting that would not be a pleasant confrontation.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptnJD and jer dog
Upvote 0

Soulakala

Almost A Member
Oct 23, 2019
Ocean Park, Wa
Name
Chuck
Boat
Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
If you have time play along with these idiots as time is one valuable commodity for these idiots. I give them a phony credit card number when they ask for it. When they ask for gift cards to be sent I tell them I'm out in the yard and give me few minutes to get in the house and pen and paper. My son in law used to have a monthly contest of who could keep the telemarketer on the phone the longest, he got real good at it. But sometimes if I don't have the time time I simply tell them FU asshole.

Upvote 0