Boarding Policies

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Bill W, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Those who have read my posts know I’m a boat flip flopper....I have fished all the LR boats sans the Searcher. Most within the last 6 years at least once. I hate those rat bastard cheaters that jeopardize the mojo of the trip by starting off trying to cheat the system....yes it happens on all the boats. It seems like such a simple concept....and it does affect which boats I will ride depending on the time of year and trip type. From my experience;

Shogun: boards by date of 50% deposit.
    Royal Polaris: boards by date of 50% deposit.
    Intrepid: boards by date of 50% deposit.
    Red Rooster: boards by date of 50% deposit.
    Excel: boards by date of 50% deposit.

American Angler: first come first to board
    Royal Star: first come first to board
    Polaris Supreme: first come first to board

Independence: hybrid system. Your tackle space and rod spaces are reserved at 50% of deposit. But boarding order is first come first serve.

Can’t remember the Vagabond and Spirit of Adventure....it’s been a while I’m sure they do things differently now? They used to be first come.....

I’m anal....if it’s first come first serve I’m there super early....last trip on the Angler I was like #10 and got there at 3am. I drove all night and was awake over 26 hours...kind of fucked up my trip start as I was delirious. True you can go sleep for the first 2 days....but those first moments are key for meeting your new friends.

If I’m on a board by reservation boat I’m staying at the Ramada, party and tackle shops the day before....sleep in and walk over to line up when it’s time.......

2. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    I could be wrong, but I thought that the Indy preferences don't kick in until you're 100% paid.

3. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    It’s 50% ....there are some follow up dates where you have to pay 100% to maintain your boarding order....I’m thinking like a month or so before the trip sails....but to get your original spot it’s 50%......most boats are the same way. Some boats like the Excel let you put some amount down really early....like $500 or $1000 depending on the trip to get your spot....but then that eventually moves to a 50% deposit....and then 100%....to maintain your position.

My next trip on the Excel, 10 day in September went something like this....July or August the year before I put $1000 down.....before the current years trip had even sailed....few months ago I brought my deposit up to 50%.....expect to pay the balance a month before the trip sails. I had a similar experience on the Indy the year before. The main difference is the Excel opens the schedule to all repeat customers about a month before the general public. I paid my deposit for my trip like 14 months ahead....and I’m like 31 of 32. If your on this trip and it really works for you....you can’t even sign up for next years trip.....it’s already sold out.

You’ve got to get your ducks in a row early these days!!

4. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I was going to fish the Supreme in September as well, but elected not to go as I do not like 1st come 1st served boarding! Its ridiculous to have to get to the landing at 3am in order to secure a decent tackle box space and then wait for numerous hours before the boat leaves at 2pm. Not sure about the upper deck storage space on the PS or if they even allow it. Other thing that seemed odd to me is the boat leaves at 2pm (if departure is on time... in my many years of LR fishing this happens rarely) so you leave later than scheduled then head out to the bait receivers, load up and you are probably not past Point Loma until close to 5pm... and then the boat returns to the dock on arrival day at 7am (in my way of thinking an 8-day trip with that time schedule is truly more like a 7.5 day trip). The Supreme also seems to be a bit pricy considering the size of the boat and the passenger load... these factors mentioned are probably why they still have numerous spots open on their September trips and all the other premier LR boats are basically sold out (JMO... your view might be totally different). I have fished with Tommy before and he is a great LR captain (knows the game very well... tons of experience), but its my understanding that Tommy does not run the boat as much these days?

G

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  5. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    What I ALWAYS do on the boat's that use the 50% of cost to secure your boarding number and stateroom (as well as bunk location) is get it in WRITING via email or a letter confirmation with the person you did business with on the phone or there at the landing office... that way when you show up at the dock on the day of departure with copy of letter or email in hand there should be NO confusion (especially so if the person who took your reservation and deposit is not there at the time or is no longer working there). Your LR fishing trip is a BUSINESS transaction so if there is a dispute for any reason you can refer to the boat's website stated policy (make a screenshot copy of that as well) and your WRITTEN confirmation. That way you can assure yourself that you are getting what YOU agreed to and paid for... so there is no room for last minute front office or charter master games. Have personally only had to use my written confirmation just once to correct a boarding position and stateroom request on the day of departure... better safe than sorry is my advice there.

G

Bill W and dh515 like this.
  6. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    so much to pick apart here. Yeah, the boat does say 2pm...fished her 8 years in a row, and we always left the dock before 10:30am except for once, when they had to replace the motor for the anchor winch...Susan told me yeah, that's why they say 2pm...it's a boat, stuff breaks. Tons of storage up top...if you had really fished on her, you would know that...unless you never climbed the ladder. Pricey? That's a laugh...you simply haven't looked at the schedules and pricing on Sept trips this year. The Supreme 8 day trips are $2790...the majority of the fleet is charging $2800 for a 7 day. At what point in high school did you opt out of math? Let's see, 8 days for less than the price of seven on other boats...just circle TRUE on the test question, it will help your grade. Yep, some trips have openings...the boat is having to switch from long time 4/5/6 day charters that had to give it up when Cedros went down, to 7/8 day trips to provide time to fish below...takes more than one year to develop a core group for each trip. Run the trip? Randy or Tim, Andy, Frank, Brian, Jeff, Mike or Mike...pick your Captain. None of them run every trip...that's just pathetic on your part. Some of you may sense some hostility on my part :D :D...got real tired of old Real Deal bashing on some board sponsors a while back, and to see him attempt to try it with a quality operation just pissed me off. Bullshit is bullshit...

Lake, ifish42na, arkansastuna and 3 others like this.
  7. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    That is why the boat should allocate everyone with their # a spot for tackle boxes, Just as they do for the rods. This way everyone gets equal amount of tackle storage AND the charter masters and early Hoarders can't take up all the primo tackle spots. I've seen people on a 8 day trip having enough tackle boxes for 10 people, I call bullshit on that and I don't give a f... who you are.

Steve K likes this.
  8. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    100 % right.

9. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Im LMAO.

Hands down this is my favorite thread on BD. None better - period.

I want to incorporate my two other favorite threads into this one and make it a sticky. Which boots are best and what boat has the best food.

I just get on the boat. Have fun and go fishing. I stay far away from the tackle rack as that is the one space on the boat that will ruin your trip early and keep nagging you for the entire trip.

I love these threads. Thanks Bill W for starting it.

10. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Craig’s post has some really good info to answer Garry but I respect Garry for bringing up these items so they can be addressed. As far as Alec or Tommy, I see a blend of both worlds. On one hand is an experienced skipper that has a load of secret spots, proven record, On the other hand is a young blood with a great personality. Really smart and fishy and can call on the Tommy to tap his knowledge. The Supreme is one of the best equipped tools to find fish and the drive that Alec brings to the game just makes it even better.

freegaff2, SCHeadhunter and Cubeye like this.
  11. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    I like that John; let me continue your idea: I tip based upon my tackle box location. :p:

More seriously, I like the boarding order determined by deposit because it seems more orderly, but am ok if its by when you get in line as everyone has a fair shot. As long as its known in advance and adhered to. What gripes me is when people game the system, or worse, move your tackle box after its already been placed in a spot so that theirs can replace it. I'm 5'5", so having my tackle in a place where I can reach it is important for me.

IMHO its up to the chartermaster to enforce the rules, whatever they may be. If there is no chartermaster, the boat should enforce them. And the two key rules on any trip, with any boarding system, should be 1) you can board with your tackle box only and 2) one tackle box on deck for each person until everyone has had a chance to board and place their tackle box.

dh515, Artois, JohnTFT and 5 others like this.
  12. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    oops.

13. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Does any boat do your #1 and #2 Brad...

14. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    On the Indy, the main tackle rack has 6 assigned spots on the top row and 2 unassigned spots (first come first served) on the side where people put SKB boxes with rocket launchers. I didn't get one of those but was wishing that I had. My Nomad box has rocket launchers and it was too tall for the second row. A couple of the posts above indicate that rocket launchers are a problem. At least on the Indy, they seemed OK to me and seemed especially useful for longer rods. What am I missing? And what about putting boxes with rocket launchers up top? Seems like there is lots of room up there. Not trying to push the envelope . . . just looking for a good place for 4 longer rods.

Juanba likes this.
  15. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    I really like my charter master; asking him about box placement issues seems like a good way to go, given his knowledge of the boat and most of the trip's passengers.

16. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I agree. Garibaldi, Please engage brain before typing. The Supreme carries 24 passengers MAXIMUM. None of this BS about Plus one or two . None of this BS about guys jumping on at the last minute for half price because the boats not full. The price is fixed at 24 passengers. In all the years that I've been fishing on the Supreme, they have NEVER left at 2:00 PM. If you've fished with Tommy on the Supreme, you should know how much room is on the top deck. Perhaps you fished with him when he was running the Delux, or the RP? Or maybe when he was a deckhand?

e_briz and freegaff2 like this.
  17. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    For Excel riders with the rod holders on the main deck, bet this simple little issue is a laugh. But those without that rod rack an issue occurs with the popular 7’6” rail rods as they do not fit on my present ride and the overhang in the side rod rack. (Now good for 7’) So where do you put that 7’6” rail rod?
    Take a hike up the stairs...

NaplesJohn likes this.
  18. SCHeadhunter

SCHeadhunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    No you don’t. Plenty of room on the bus stop and tackle racks on the Supreme. And usually an attitude of cooperation, not combat fishing. Only 24 Guys max. State rooms and rod racks are assigned. 5 rods on your number then everything else up past. And for longer rods, we just go a little diagonal. Rod storage on the upper deck too.
    You will have plenty of room even if you show up at 9 to board at 9:05.
    I invited you on my trip. 18 Guys, empty spaces on the tackle rack etc. 6 passengers have private staterooms.
    Maybe next year.

19. SCHeadhunter

SCHeadhunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    The boat leaves as early as possible, never at 2. I’ve been fishing with Tommy since 1989. It’s on the schedule that way But we turn and burn. Tommy and Alec want position Alpha at the receivers etc.
    His relief skipper is Alec Robbie, a great younger captain. And Tommy tries to run most of the trips.
    The boat is super chill, super helpful crew, plenty of room for your cart full of shit, your 15 rods etc. Plenty of room up top and the crew will scamper up and down the stairs to retrieve your rods anytime. Many trips run with max load of 20 or less. Personally, I have no interest in fishing any trip with more than 24 passengers on any boat. There is only one down-wind corner.
    Prices are consistent with all the other boats and are more expensive with the lighter loads.
    It’s unfortunate you are misinformed and haven’t taken the opportunity to give this boat a shot.
    I am a charter head on a trip. I work hard to accommodate the needs of my older passengers or people who have a harder time moving around. Susan Rothery and I give a lot of thought to stateroom assignments etc. Same goes for rod rack assignments. Not a combat-I’m above everyone else attitude on the boat. And plenty of room at the tackle racks.

Bill W and freegaff2 like this.
  20. richardblufin

richardblufin Member

Name:
    Richard Jones
    Boat:
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    Get in line