Barkoff

Parker 2320
Oct 6, 2010
Hollister CA USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Dorothy G
So Bluefin up in the Monterey Bay is pretty rare. I’m trying to think how some of my existing gear that I already have, might play.

I have a lot of the old CD Magnums, CD 7’s up to CD14’s. Would towing a spread of matching CD’s bring any successes??

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
if they swim straight, sure. I donated about a dozen to my favorite shop for give aways.

great wiggle the cds, that metal bill...

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
I read some of the Monterey reports last summer,most were caught on the medium/large (165-200) size Nomad lures.

Barkoff

Parker 2320
Oct 6, 2010
Hollister CA USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Dorothy G
I read some of the Monterey reports last summer,most were caught on the medium/large (165-200) size Nomad lures.
Yes, but I’m retiring soon, my income will be cut in half.
I have always been a tackle junky, ignoring perfectly good tackle for the newest and greatest. Seems like a waste if the old stuff still works, and I don’t think BF have lost their interest in mackerel.
I have about 25 old CD’s in blue and green Mack, different sizes, I think I’ll get them all tuned and running straight, then see what comes our way.
I have to use those those, can’t see spending a few hundred on the new stuff, and then see the BF disappear.
I’ll give them a school of macs.

Reactions: historic

skipjack

Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
The Nomads dive 30‘-50’ deep,the CD rapalas will dive 15-20’ if your lucky.
The Nomads bill is about 4 times larger than the CD’s.
Im retired,I know they are expensive,but it might pay off big time having at least one in your boat. Have your crew buy a few. Good luck!

Reactions: muletrain

Barkoff

Parker 2320
Oct 6, 2010
Hollister CA USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Dorothy G
The Nomads dive 30‘-50’ deep,the CD rapalas will dive 15-20’ if your lucky.
The Nomads bill is about 4 times larger than the CD’s.
Im retired,I know they are expensive,but it might pay off big time having at least one in your boat. Have your crew buy a few. Good luck!
True, I did buy a few X-Rap deep divers, they came a little cheaper, and did pop for a few madscads for casting, Nomad makes good stuff, but damn!

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
San Diego
Name
walter heim
Boat
Bayrunner
I followed the bite up there last year. Seems like they were catching on rapalas and cedar plugs. The fish were 100 lb class fish. You cds are probably too small if cd14 is your largest. You would probably straighten out the treble. I still have several cd14s and cd18s. They were great in the day, but it seems the fish got shy. You would do better investing in a few heavier lures. I go up to Monterey Bay every year to crab fish. I tow my boat and camp for a week. It is a great area.

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    whatever you troll, if you are going for bft, keep it 100 yds back or outside your wake w/ a kite. that said, i'd use the lure that works best. don't be a cheapass. what are you already spending on fuel, insurance, spool up your reels, etc?

Barkoff

Parker 2320
    Oct 6, 2010
    Hollister CA USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Dorothy G
    Brah, at some point it’s got to stop! At some point you have to use what you’ve bought, not run out and blow money on the latest and greatest, and not use tackle you’ve barely used. I mean I’m just asking if Rapalas are still effective, should I not bother to ask, just run out and drop another $200? The gas, the insurance, the line, ARE the reason I can’t just throw money at tackle for fish that may show up. Some of us can’t afford that shiny $900 2-speed, and have to try to make do.
    Must be nice.

43145977-1819-41E7-9C75-EA7511095FC9.jpeg

BFC031DC-9964-463B-B7C3-84DCA482EAB7.jpeg

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeff Gray
    Boat
    hell no....
    Sell the old shit you don't use right here on the classified section, use the money for the good shit.
    does zero bit of good where its at, someone wants it. trust me.
    you really don't want to be on a spot of fish wishing you'd bought 2 of something when the one you bought just got chewed off at color....

Reactions: PullOnThis

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member
  • Jun 4, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Steveooo
    Boat
    None
    I think the main thing you would need to worry about is the way the rápalas are rigged to handle the class of fish that may or may not .... be there. Are the rápalas wired all the way through? In case the jig breaks etc.
    bluefin are so finicky as it is, why not try what you’ve got?? There’s been plenty of days I’ve thrown anything and everything at them. Some worked, some didn’t.... that day, then the next day, exact opposite.
    It’s fishing, and the best part of it is the catching.... when it happens.

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
    Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Brah, at some point it’s got to stop! At some point you have to use what you’ve bought, not run out and blow money on the latest and greatest, and not use tackle you’ve barely used. I mean I’m just asking if Rapalas are still effective, should I not bother to ask, just run out and drop another $200? The gas, the insurance, the line, ARE the reason I can’t just throw money at tackle for fish that may show up. Some of us can’t afford that shiny $900 2-speed, and have to try to make do.
    Must be nice.

View attachment 1272238

View attachment 1272240
    Use the old stuff, it was popular at its time for a reason. Like you said whats the point of buying all this stuff just to go buy that 59.99$ lure that releases in 2 weeks? IF you have one, I do highly recomend a cedar plug, they are productive; I troll a black and purple cedar plug daisy chain before I even think about my DTX's. Only bluefin I've ever caught on a troll were on a cedar plug and maurader.

Reactions: hucklongfin

Barkoff

Parker 2320
    Oct 6, 2010
    Hollister CA USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Dorothy G
    Use the old stuff, it was popular at its time for a reason. Like you said whats the point of buying all this stuff just to go buy that 59.99$ lure that releases in 2 weeks? IF you have one, I do highly recomend a cedar plug, they are productive; I troll a black and purple cedar plug daisy chain before I even think about my DTX's. Only bluefin I've ever caught on a troll were on a cedar plug and maurader.

thank you, I bit the bullet and bought a few X-raps for running deep, then I can use the old magnums closer and above them.
    When you all pull Xraps for Bluefin, how fast do you pull them on average?

thank you for the reply.

Reactions: Tugboat64

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    thank you, I bit the bullet and bought a few X-raps for running deep, then I can use the old magnums closer and above them.
    When you all pull Xraps for Bluefin, how fast do you pull them on average?

thank you for the reply.
    5-7 knots

Latest posts