Offshore Bluefin

centralcal

Jul 27, 2008
San Luis Obispo/CA/USA
Name
Frank
Boat Name
18ft, invader, reefrunner
I got one bite on Sunday out of PSL and it bit through the 100 lb after 5 minutes. Lost my 160 madmac. Fishing 150lb this Saturday. Must have choked the smaller 160. Felt like a big one. Have one more madmac and a halco. Nice job Justin!

Reactions: John Stidman

michaelfish

Aug 14, 2012
Central Coast
Name
Michael
Boat Name
170 Montauk
We went 1 for 2 on Sunday at the Santa Lucia bank in 64 degree clear blue water. Both bites came within a half hour of each other after seeing micro bait at the surface. First fish pulled the hook, second one (120lb) choked it. 65lb braid to 80lb mono, no abrasion issues. Only saw one jumper all day but it was a big one, maybe 200lb…or a dolphin.

F382716C-70D9-4575-93A1-BFD1A1BF8C72.jpeg

John Stidman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
Fish did what big Tuna do when they see my sons ears, scares the shit out of Em every time. Was pretty much in the surface and ran right for outboard bracket and broke off on it with a 200 sardine madmac and 6’ of 100lb mono hanging out if it’s mouth. If anyone sees that fish wash up , I want my lure back.
If i find that fish and lure..I'll sell it back fir $500. That's double cause it's proven fish catcher. Lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
Sep 11, 2007
Central California
Name
Karl
Boat Name
15ft Western Aluminum
Why is everybody fishing such lite leader? They bite the 150/200 just as well.

Ps, nice fish boys. Way to make it happen. Sucks losing them though.

Reactions: pascuale
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2018
morro bay
Name
justin perkins
Boat Name
17' boston whaler "Avo Zee"
Why is everybody fishing such lite leader? They bite the 150/200 just as well.

Ps, nice fish boys. Way to make it happen. Sucks losing them though.
If you troll a cedar plug, dredge, daisy chain, or kite rig, 150–200 is fine. But trolling madmacs, 100lb mono is as big as you want to go. If you’ve ever bounced for halibut, or fished salmon, you know the difference between using ultra thin braided line, compared to thick mono, it cuts through the water with less resistance, therefore keeping scope of line at the right angle. Same for the madmacs, too thick of line and the lure is fighting the line to stay down at speed and will pop out.

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
Sep 11, 2007
Central California
Name
Karl
Boat Name
15ft Western Aluminum
If you troll a cedar plug, dredge, daisy chain, or kite rig, 150–200 is fine. But trolling madmacs, 100lb mono is as big as you want to go. If you’ve ever bounced for halibut, or fished salmon, you know the difference between using ultra thin braided line, compared to thick mono, it cuts through the water with less resistance, therefore keeping scope of line at the right angle. Same for the madmacs, too thick of line and the lure is fighting the line to stay down at speed and will pop out.
Interesting. I’ve never had a problem with the 200 size and the heavy line, but now that you mention it, the 160 does like to come out of the water for us going faster than 10kn when the weather is shitty. I only use a 25’ top shot so the drag isn’t as bad as with a longer sections I assume.

Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
Im headed over tonight. Ill be trolling til about noon.. come back in.. topnopp then rest. Going to do some night jigging with another crew on another boat. See what happens. All my madmacs, 160s, 200s and 240s are rigged with 200lb 4 ft izorline mono. Crimped. I haven't used much yet but I haven't seen them pop out.

Upvote 0

lukdiver

Aug 3, 2017
Kalama, WA
Name
Robert Lanham
Boat Name
Golden Ones
Surprised someone hasn't tried a 'Greenstick' like they use in Hawaii, etc. We rigged one for our boat years ago and tried 2x out of SF & Half Moon Bay with no luck. Supposedly the 'ticket' for BFT & YFT. Involves a pole that's 20-30' high and a mainline that's tensioned with the bird and there are 2-8 dropper lures that are skipping across the water. There are some wild videos on You-Tube if you search for them. A friend back East rigged a big surf-pole for his. Originally the Japanese came up with technique. Becuase of regulations back East they run lures as breakaway to regular poles/rods.

002.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: michaelfish
Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
Shot out this morn. Trolled from outside cambria up to lighthouse and past San simeon. Then circled out and deeper and back. Then in between. Not much life. A bird or 2. Saw one whale breaching out of the water pretty gd. Few seals. About 6 sunfish the size of a frying pan all together in a circle with couple birds. One flopped up out the water like a flashback being flipped. Weird. We trolled madmacs 3/4 day Then big cedars back in. Was gonna try night jigging but didn't find any marks worth trying. Speeds varied between 10mpb to 14mph. Mostly trolled 13mph. Only couple boats out there north. Just saw a nice size head in dumpster. Was caught today. Prob 80lber. I'll report back tomorrow after I give it another shot.

Upvote 0

Spiccoli

Aug 22, 2022
Morro bay
Name
Logan Spinola
Boat Name
Ms. Mackey
Sharks or big tuna? What area?
The first one I’m like 99% sure was a tuna it was on for a little bit and then broke off literally right after we threw another one on and before we even had it out all the way we were still letting line out something grabbed it and snapped instantly. We were about 10 miles off the light house when that happened

Reactions: John Stidman

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
The first one I’m like 99% sure was a tuna it was on for a little bit and then broke off literally right after we threw another one on and before we even had it out all the way we were still letting line out something grabbed it and snapped instantly. We were about 10 miles off the light house when that happened
Are u fishing tomorrow. I'm staying the night and fishing again. I was inside you. Saw 57* inside and 63* outside. Saw a fresh head in morro dumpster caught today. Boat name reel hard

Upvote 0

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
Sep 11, 2007
Central California
Name
Karl
Boat Name
15ft Western Aluminum
Damn dude, what knots are you using? Shouldn’t be breaking off like that. Breaking at the braid/mono connection???

Upvote 0

Spiccoli

Aug 22, 2022
Morro bay
Name
Logan Spinola
Boat Name
Ms. Mackey
Damn dude, what knots are you using? Shouldn’t be breaking off like that. Breaking at the braid/mono connection???
Idk what it was I had some mono put on one of my rods at a shop in San Diego before a trip a few months ago and ya it broke off the whole leader

Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
No fish this trip. Saw a huge head in dumpster last night. Caught yesterday. Say 80lbs prob. Weather picked up fir short tine but flattened out. Foggy and cold. Today cleared up later in afternoon. Maybe nxt wkvend. Try again.

Reactions: Jnunez
Upvote 0

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
Sep 11, 2007
Central California
Name
Karl
Boat Name
15ft Western Aluminum
Idk what it was I had some mono put on one of my rods at a shop in San Diego before a trip a few months ago and ya it broke off the whole leader
Shit, that’s a bummer. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I would never trust anybody else to set up my reels/leaders. You ever see how cedar plugs are stock rigged? Horrible. Asking for catastrophe. Next time do it yourself and take your time. Uni to uni for my mono-braid connection if you’re using braid as backing and RP or FG knot for braid-leader connection. Jam knot for the direct tie to the lure and you’ll be in great shape.