Bluefin, yellowfin, dorado, yellowtail. (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Fishingguy, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    This post is for a few trips in July up until Friday. Ive been so busy with being a new dad, work, trade shows (ICAST), running a business and everything in between so my apologies that I can't post all the reports immediately.

So where do I start… Its been a phenomenal year so far and its been just seems like its getting better and better.

I keep saying it, but Im a true believe that the ocean has blessed us with some amazing opportunities that is not only humbling but also allows us to create memories for a lifetime.

This month, Ive been able to fish with new members from this board and make some new friends. What has made this month more special than the rest is the new friendships and learning so much more about the sport we all love.

Ive fished with guys from the east coast, Killsong and Sami G, Ali and Brett (northeastfshman), johnathan (shyliner626), Rich Holt, Svue, and Nate.

These are some of the most talented fisherman Ive ever met and I will always be a student of the sea. Im surely not the best by any means; far from it,amateur if anything….. but what I can tell you is I try to put my best foot forward and go out with an open mind to continue to take notes and learn.

With that said…..for the reports. Earlier this month, it seemed as if patty fishing was really taking off. We had great scores of yellowtail and dorado as well as bluefin. I really thought the bluefin was going to start chewing the bait well as we landed on a sardine off a paddy. I caught my personal best dorado with Ali and Sami took an amazing shot of it! Put up a great fight as well and the colors were just beautiful. We didnt get any bluefin that day, but did the day before. Notes taken from this were that fish were more open to eating more than just poppers.

The following week, i had two straight skunk trips (no pics). Or maybe i should have taken a sunset photo to redeem myself. And hey, these trips happen and you have to put in your dues. As I keep telling my friends and fellow fisherman…… you just have to keep going. Period. Shake it off, re assess, and keep going. I wish I could tell you that there was a pattern with this bluefin, but again, you just have to keep going. I can't tell you how many times Ive deviated form the original plan and just ended up going a different direction and adapting to different conditions. Adaptation has been key. Things change week to week. Weather they are biting the popper, iron, flat fall, mac, or dine, just have to find a school that is willing to bite.

With visiting Icast for the first time….it was an eye opener to see how small the "so cal" scene actually is and there is so much more to learn about the sport we all love.

Coming back, i fished this past week and original plan was to head to the 43 until I some things had changed literally the night before and we went to check out another area. This time it was off the beaches about 9 miles. Here I was able to score my first yellowfin for the year with a respectable….60-70 pound class. Irnoically, I dint see the normal breaking fish as usual but rather just slow puddlers and rollers. Again, adapting and changing what Im looking for in the water to get a better shot at these fish. Later we were rewarded with more bluefin. One going maybe 80-90 ish with the other being 140-150 give or take and of course there are some casualties as well.

Thought i would give it a shot again this past Friday on my friend Richs "Henreques" 42 footer. My god, what an incredible vessel. One of the nicest private boats I ve been on. Even had side sonar which was really nice to see the direction of the fish moving. We had hooked up to a bigger model with a mac…….and 2.5 hours later, it took a sudden dive under the boat and we lost it the prop. Such a heartbreak….I may have not remembered every single tuna i caught this year….but i sure as heck remember each heartbreak I've had. That was our only bite for the day. But I must say, Rich had the most positive attitude about the whole experience and we still had an amazing time. You can't win them all.

Everyweek has been a little different in terms of what the tuna have been biting on and not one thing working better than another. Poppers still seem to be effective but nice to see fish more active on bait and flat falls as well. Remember, you just gotta keep trying and I'm sure your efforts will be rewarded.

Hope you guys enjoy all the pictures….. and again…. Thank you to all the guys Ive fished with this month. Brings back all the good feelings of why we do what we do in this sport….Its not so much about the catching but rather the camaraderie and sharing knowledge of a sport we all love.

As always, humbled and grateful for the experiences these past months. Looking forward to whats to come next. Also, I've been getting tons of messages about charters, but unfortunately I do not charter and just do this for fun.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg jjjjdsfafa

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    FatBoy4130, Foss, milligan and 31 others like this.
  2. oniedab

oniedab Fishing is there anything else?

Name:
    mike hagans
    Boat:
    28ft Grady White Sailfish
    Where do you live and what time is dinner!!!!

Foss and Sgtsilbaugh like this.
  3. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Looks like fishing has been tough lately haha great job and awsome pics!!

4. reeltite410

reeltite410 Newbie

Name:
    Cameron Maune
    Boat:
    ss2355 slickraft repowered
    I have had 3 trips so far this year with no such luck. Havnt even seen any fish. Lots of porpoise and whales. But no dinner yet. Hopefully again soon my luck will change

5. Slater

Slater cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    sold! / cattle boat
    Billy thanks for sharing, sounds like it's been a fun ride for you lately..

6. Zika

Zika Chum-Master

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
    Wow great job !!

7. svue

svue I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Vue
    Boat:
    Everglade 290
    Nice write up Billy.
    Most people on this board don't understand how much time we put into this kind of fishing. They all think it's a wide open bite, when it is mostly skunk. But If you don't put the time and effort, you can always read our report on BD, and dream about it.

As a boat owner, I always try to get all of my friends and family to experience this once in a lifetime event where you are tied to a giant fish that will break your will, and it is my pleasure to give them that moment which define the way they look over the ocean horizon.

For those of you who don't have friend with boats, please charter the hard working captain who does it days in and days out, those guys are the real deal, and will usually fish harder than you will.

Tight lines guys.

8. keenfish

keenfish Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    6'5" CI Flyer
    That is hurting some feelings right there!

Way to work hard and get it done gents. You earned every one of those beautiful fish. I am stoked for you and appreciate you sharing the stories, tackle, techniques and photos!!

The finished product pics are awesome too! You know your craft on both fronts. Hat is off to you for your accomplished fishing and results!

Hope you continue to slay it as long as the slaying stays good. Cheers!

9. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    NICE fish Billy,guys. Solid work. Great trips summary and pics. LOL

10. robaire

robaire Angler

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a
    YOU GET IT! ;)

Very nice write up Billy with great pictures.
    Keep Jonathans number Bro, he is a fishing machine!
    You'll end up in North Carolina one day cranking on some monster Stripers,
    or Northern Cal pulling in huge WSB on a yak.

Thanks for sharing,
    Robert

11. b-reel

b-reel Member

Name:
    HP
    Boat:
    none yet
    Points for the hot Cheetos in the Poke:-) Gonna have to try that.

12. Fishingfiend87

Fishingfiend87 Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    The Float Tube
    Awesome write up.. Are those hot Cheetos I see in the poke bowl?!? Great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Island Maiden

Island Maiden Newbie

Name:
    Brian Adair
    Boat:
    Island Maiden
    Amazing pics great job and congrats!

14. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    Congrats! I think I've been fishing in the wrong ocean...

15. Iceberg

Iceberg Jeff

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    My roommies twin-V catamaran
    You must have an awesome/understanding wife to let you get on the water so much being a new dad and all. Keeper for sure!

I found you likes this.
  16. Second Row

Second Row You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    Rock Solid !

17. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    It always gets me when people who are rich, have a name such as Rich, it's though their parents knew.

In any case, nice work all around, but I'm still more impressed by the amount of weight you were able to lose, having tried to do the same myself.

18. Sgtsilbaugh

Sgtsilbaugh "Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    qajaq
    Damn! You're so good people want to charter with you! Nice job on the fish and thanks for sharing the report

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

19. Shark Meat

Shark Meat Diehard/Determined CAPT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Coolio. Nice work

20. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Dug all the pictures. Try to have some fun ..OK?