Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat Name
Grady White Marlin 300
Fishing the pens we got two sealion assists. They went after a 150. The sealion dazed the tuna and made for an easy gaff shot. A buddy lost two 150s to sealions. Yes they will go after a big tuna.

Reactions: Sidekick10
Upvote 0

Sidekick10

Almost A Member
  • Sep 2, 2016
    San diego
    Name
    Josh
    Boat Name
    Robalo 2120
    Fishing the pens we got two sealion assists. They went after a 150. The sealion dazed the tuna and made for an easy gaff shot. A buddy lost two 150s to sealions. Yes they will go after a big tuna.
    That’s good to know, hopefully that tuna we lost swam out of the sealions mouth and lived another day with a couple bite marks on it and a Madmac hanging from its mouth.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Jaru22

• Aug 14, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    Jas Dutch
    Boat Name
    17' trophy
    7/23/22

Launched around 11am with my nephew and got a half scoop of some big sardines, most had red spots on them but bait is bait. Caught about 25 Mackerel and headed out cleared Point Loma at noon, plan was to hit 9 mile bank and go look for some kelp paddy’s for my first yellowtail and dorado this season.

Didn’t find any kelp going towards the 9 or on it and went south towards Coronado canyon and finally found a 5 foot paddy around 2:30pm and marked it. Dorado jumping every 5-15 seconds some 3-5 at the same time they looked like 5-10 pounders. Stayed on that kelp tried flyline sardines, Mackerel and slow trolling couldn’t get a bite. Stayed on that kelp for 2 hours and then spotted a foamer south about 5 miles south on the horizon with terns on them but didn’t leave the spot with the kelp. So stayed on that kelp and after about 20-30 min later a big splash off the starboard side about 50 yards, was a bluefin I saw the tail on it. Put out a live mackerel and got hit within 30 seconds, there was a knot stuck on the braid to my reel so he took off and it popped at the knot. Nephews sardine on 20lb flouro got hit, didn’t feel like a dorado definitely was a bluefin and popped it right after it got smoked. Then I look around and see a foamer 500-700 yards out with birds all over it. Reeled in the bait put out the trollers 150 yards and 200 yards on the other. Chased that foamer and got hit within 5 minutes, came off. Damn!

Trolled again to the next foamer in 3 min about 500 yards away and was going like 15kts didn’t get hit, saw another foamer 2 min later about half a mile away went around the foamer bluefin eating anchovies busting out the water (National Geographic Style) and put those madmacs right through that foamer! 200mm spanish mackerel goes off running and about 5 seconds later green mackerel goes off! Double hook up!

1 hour plus both Bluefins still on. Landed the closest one to the boat and it’s a guaranteed 100lbs, 2nd bluefin came in close to the boat didnt see color saw a sealion chasing the boat off my stern and about 20 seconds later almost got spooled pretty sure that sealion had it in its mouth! And it popped off!

Overall 1-5 on the bluefin!

The bluefins were 100 plus pounds on the foamers!

Time: 4:30pm-6pm
    Technique: trolling madmacs 200mm / fly line mackerel/sardines
    Gear: Seeker rail rod OSP 1x3 Okuma Makaira 30ii sea 100lb braid to 100lb mono.

Trolling speed 12-14 knots

Forecast was 4ft swells at 7 second intervals, overcast.

Good luck out there and stay safe!View attachment 1406507View attachment 1406508View attachment 1406509View attachment 1406510View attachment 1406512View attachment 1406515View attachment 1406516View attachment 1406518View attachment 1406519
    Great report thanks! Way to stick with it.

Reactions: Sidekick10
    Upvote 0