Bluefin tuna and big spearfish???

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Fishingguy, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Went out twice last week and one trip resulted in good fishing while the other was pretty all show- no go by the tuna…

Been fishing the 43-182-181 area last few weeks. This area has provided me with a few of the bigger quality models. We flew the kite again and didnt get any fish on the kite on both days. Sucks, but its just putting your dues in. Must have gotten lucky previous weeks with getting 3 strikes the first time flying. Patties have been on and off. We were able to pull 8 yellows and 2 dorado off of one. And another, we just pulled one dodo. Then again, we weren't looking for them.

Here are some things about last weeks fishing that I observed. Every week (or every other week) it seems like they are just biting in different patterns. And of course, comes more and more un expected purchases. This bluefin without a doubt is very expensive. From new reels to new tackle to going on trips learning how to use them, extensive research and you tubing, I just have to put in my dues. As I have always said, by no means am I some type of fishing expert, but merely sharing my perspective on what I see out there. Past2 weeks, for me, it's been the yummy, Mackeral and flat fall.

The bigger ones seem to come all from the kite except for the occasional drop back mackerel over meter marks. The foaming fish are predominantly your 60-90 pound grade with occasional 100 puns and up. On both days, I left foaming fish to find the bigger grade. Ironically, ended up getting one on the colt again after we saw foaming fish. To be honest…I'm not a fan of fishing all mornign and all day. Grant it, I wake up around 1 am, load up boat and such and on my way around 2 am. On both days, I didnt get back home till 11 pm which I am exhausted.

After we hooked up on the tuna, we casted a sardine into a foaming school and some how caught a short billed spearfish?? Never caught one before and from what others make of it, it was a pretty big one too. Go figure.. on foaming fish.

The very next trip, Friday, we flew the kite again with no luck and again, the fish started to be more active in the late hours but we also heard of fish being caught through out the day so it just wasn't our lucky day.

All in all… bluefin fishing can be very exciting, exhausting, and expensive but the memories make it all worth it. If we just focused on the catching, we would all be losing our minds however if we focus on the overall experience of "fishing," then it can be a much more enjoyable process.

Till next time….tight lines.

Some recipes below: Tuna Ceviche:

Items needed, cilantro, garlic, jalepeno, red onion, salt, and lime, and tuna. super easy to make and taste delicious.

Poke with avocado:
    sesame oil , soy sauce, minced onion, and sesame seeds (ran out). Mix it all up and put inside of an avocado.

Tuna Collar: just grill or broil 5 minutes on each side (10-15 minutes for the bigger ones). Just salt and a little bit of olive oil and have your favorite dipping sauce on the side

Last few pics was just from a harbor cruise with my captain in training. Soon my son......soon.

Question for fathers: at what age do you start to bring your kid on trips?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Blackfish, R&R, surferjohn and 40 others like this.
  2. Iceberg

Iceberg Jeff

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    My roommies twin-V catamaran
    Looks like you're definitely putting the time in and good to hear your thoughts. Those pictures have me absolutely drooling.

3. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    Nice fish.

That is a nice shortbill

4. AhSpray

AhSpray Assistant Gaffer

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    AAA+++ Ho
    Great report, quality fish, top-notch food, and a fisherman in training!
    Front page post in my book.
    Congratulations. And thank you for making us drool.

5. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Down rigger those deep marks.

Hey man you are doing awesome. That's what fishing is all about, learning new things. Recognizing patterns and just plane having fun. The higher the dues, usually the greater the reward.

That's one huge spearfish. How'd it taste?

6. Shark Meat

Shark Meat Diehard/Determined CAPT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Coolio -- again nice work if you can get it.

7. sixty

sixty Member

Name:
    Corey
    Boat:
    Hatteras 36 "El Dorado", Hatteras 60 "Reel Action"
    Very nice spearfish. That has to be a state record if there is one. VERY tasty!

Looks like all of the dues are paying off, you have skills!

8. KPN

KPN Member

Name:
    Khanh
    Boat:
    None
    Nice catch and thanks for the info.

9. JACKPOTER

JACKPOTER Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack SEA LEVEL
    Always enjoy your reports!

10. I found you

I found you Newbie

Name:
    Captain
    Boat:
    No loose butthole
    Or just go fishing for the sake of loving to fish. Not to get high fives on the internet from people you have never met.

11. jbarto

jbarto Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Right on! Shortbill spearfish is tasty!

12. stevex

stevex Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Osprey 26LC
    Great catch thanks for the report. I have 4 kids, 3 boys and one girl, so to answer your question...each of my kids is totally different! My oldest boy has saltwater in his veins and went 60+ miles on a 12 hour albacore trip when he was 4 years old. He willingly scrubbed the boat down when we returned. I wouldn't think of taking my youngest (now 4) on anything like that trip. Just start slow (like you already are in the picture), and advance the trips slowly as you and your child wants/tolerates. You will see how your child takes to it, and how you feel having them along. For me the biggest thing was/is making sure they are safe and understand the rules and respect the process. My oldest boy knew from day one to respect everything from knives to hooks to the ectronics etc...the other kids, well, it's a work in progress. Expose them to it and you will be shocked at how fast they can pick it up...or how long it takes them to pick it up!

13. Beaumont Glass & Door

Beaumont Glass & Door Newbie

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a
    Lil Man is getting BIG!

oh yeah, nice fish :D

Robert

14. lucky 100

lucky 100 "Swordfish Searcher"

Name:
    Captain O
    Boat:
    Reel Caliente
    Question,

Furuno and Simrad guy but in your picture the Lowrance looked like your meter shows 200KHZ, so are you not using Chirp ?

15. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    super cool, and you sir are very humble!

16. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Forget all the bitchen fish you have caught, the food preperation looks INSANE!!!!!!

Gawd I'm hungry now!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

17. flyliner

flyliner @thereelflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Great stuff Billy. From the perspective of someone that has been out a total of 1 time this year, I can honestly say I am very jealous of the season you are having.....lol.

As for the kid question, my wife and I started taking our daughter out on trips starting at 3 months old......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Chrisben, martman, Ripnsumlip and 8 others like this.
  18. LedZeppfin

LedZeppfin Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Cattle Boats
    Nice report Billy. By no means have you been a disappointment this year. You have spent time on the water and earned those big fish and that 250+lber you caught. Congrats on those! That is an accomplishment in itself. It never is easy.

My friends lost 2 bluefin at the boat over 200lbs each when the season started up this year. They don't always catch the tuna and both have fished these waters for a long long time. We even covered 80+ plus miles one trip last year and the tuna from football size to 200lbs eluded us.

19. radman

radman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Darrin
    Boat:
    Stringari
    I hosted a baseball player for summerball here,who was born in Hawaii,and his dad is a fish buyer,and exporter.The last day he was here,a box of fish showed up from Hawaii,and it had a chunk of Bigeye about 15 lbs of it,and about a 8lb slab of another fish,and told me it was Spearfish.I was skeptical,but the Spearfish was the way better of the 2 fish.I cooked it at home,and even my wife liked it better,and then brought it to my shop,and cooked for my workers,and they all like the spearfish most,and even said it was the best fish they had ever eaten.I hope you ate it!

20. Matt Roy

Matt Roy Newbie

Name:
    Matt Roy
    Boat:
    board
    Your posts rock. Humble and informative. Thank you

Fishingguy likes this.