Bluefin Techniques and Observations (what worked, what didn’t )

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Let em eat 74, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    It’s just a 3 turn San Diego jam

jigstickjeff and 5-20 like this.
  2. DennisV

DennisV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat:
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    Excellent report. I'm also a fan of the bridled flat fall. I noticed you said 12 seconds per hundred feet from your 300 grain jig. Have you timed the sink rate of the 250 grain Shimano flat fall for comparison?

3. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    A standard 250 flat fall flutters more than the Nomad buffalo which kinda zig zags on a more vertical line As a result, sink rates on the 250 are more like 20-25 seconds depending on current.

4. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    One thing to note if you are using the Nomad buffalo or gypsy flat falls. Although the hook and assist cord are quite substantial and more than enough for what we are trying to do with them, I don’t quite like the size of the barb on the hook.

9A2AD470-6200-47D7-A94D-0722719CA5AE.jpeg

We are all aware of the bluefin tuna’s tactic of head shakes and the barb might make the difference between a fish on the deck and heartbreak. I love the jig, please don’t get me wrong. Nomad has done a great job in this jig and many other of their products, I post this just as something to look out for. Any assist hook (or bridle in my case) regardless of manufacturer or type should IMO have a substantial barb.

Cubeye likes this.
  5. Baller

Baller Lives for fishing the surface iron..!!!

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Anyone have any legit success with wiring up some assist hooks or HD live bait style hooks? Theoretically it should work especially at night or early morning when you cant see.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  6. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    They sure did Bill. I was the only one on the boat rigged with the bridle setup. Most guys had the typical multi-assist both with or without a brazed large J hook style we find pre-rigged in our local shops. Curtis scored his by snagging the tail, so there is definitely merit in both approaches. For me, I just like the confidence to be able to pull like hell knowing that fish is stuck with an over 2” circle hook. I want to be prepared for the biggest one out there, and given the choice, that’s how I would want him hooked.

MadHatches, Cubeye and solid72 like this.
  7. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Thanks for the report, great info! I’ve tried the Ranch 99 squid too for yft at Hurricane bank. With a lot of fish around, nothing would touch them. Not even sharks. Pretty sure they spray them with some kind of bleach spray preservative. I’ll try again but with bait squid from a tackle store or bait supplier.

8. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Might also try a wholesale fish market. In San Pedro, they open their market up for retail purchasers on Saturday mornings........I think. That way you'll get fresh off the boat seafood and no preservatives.

I have also heard that once the squid is frozen twice, it won't work. It's been a long time, but it was an article on white sea bass fishing. Fresh squid frozen once is OK, but twice no.

dh515 likes this.
  9. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I had heard the same things about re-freezing and I did buy the ones strait out of the back that had not been thawed yet. They had good color, smelled right, but just didn’t work this time around. I’m not giving up on them for good and I am definitely going to try the method with the sinker in the mantle again just because it looked so fishy.

I forgot to add that I also dropped back some jumbo macs on the slide as well when we marked fish to no avail either. There was a fair amount of inexperienced guys and once they saw me do it a couple times it became a cluster to try and continue this technique that has proven effective in the past.

Cubeye likes this.
  10. MadHatches

MadHatches Jr. Member

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Red Rooster III
    That bridle set up looks great. Trying to learn about these lures and this is a great write up. Assume you use the weight appropriate for the depth and current as it seems lighter should flutter more or better?

11. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Each of these jigs has a different fall pattern. Some, like the Shimano,Nomad gypsy, and Tady will flutter and slide sideways and some just zig and zag while still falling quickly like the Nomad buffalo I have pictured.

On our trip the fish were keyed in on a faster moving jig so mine worked well in the decent but all of our bites came on a good steady cadence of retrieve. I can’t stress enough how important it is to have good posture and getting settled in to a comfortable relaxed position when grinding the jig for hours. If you are efficient with your energy you can spend more time at the rail and that equals fish in the boat

MadHatches likes this.
  12. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    I can't help with the cow BFT, but I found a way to get schoolies to bite even after they do their patented "sink out" routine. I throw the Yozuri High Speed Vibe.

[​IMG]
    It's under three ounces, but I can still throw it far enough on a conventional reel. It is actually a sinking lipless crankbait. It works right out of the box, but, at the suggestion of Mike Loust of the Intrepid, I have switched the trebles out with in-line hooks. It's my secret weapon, and has gotten BFT to bite when nothing else will. I tried it for wahoo briefly, but no luck.

Cubeye, 5-20 and MadHatches like this.
  13. jigstickjeff

jigstickjeff Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    BZ T-10
    That bridaled jig set up looks interesting, have you ever lost the jig using it?

14. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I have not so far. It’s difficult to tie the loop small enough so I just use a 3 turn square knot to make it easy. It isn’t a strong knot, but I don’t really need it to be. I’d trade a jig for a good fish every time.

15. jigstickjeff

jigstickjeff Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    BZ T-10
    I completely agree! Just looking at the set up made me wonder if losing a jig was common.

16. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    100 % with you on this .... thick shank and small barb imo is asking for pulled hooks...
    I won't use gorilla hooks for bait for this reason... just seem to pull way more often...

17. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    For the butter balls last week I was 1000% convinced that picking a good bait and a small hook was more important than line size.

18. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    This. Early season too, line size didn't matter but if the hook was bigger than a #2 it wasn't being touched. IMO they're usually more picky with hook size than line size, line size only factoring in in allowing the bait to run faster.

SouthBayKiller likes this.
  19. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    Solid Stuff, Thanks for the Post!!