Bluefin Stocks in Baja

Surfersteve79

Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
Just curious what if any reliable intel there has been or chatter from the spotter planes and long range boats up and down the line in Baja regarding this years BFT volumes. If anyone recalls this time last year it seemed every adjective was being used to describe the massive amount of tuna showing down the line.

There is no doubt that unless there is an erupt 180 turn around in the North East Pacific weather pattern for SoCal & Baja the fishing from the previous 5-6 years is going to be very different. Last year could have been the last great year of BFT fishing and arguably also the best dorado fishing many of us will experience in our lifetimes.

Anyone have any reliable information? Definitely thinking my trips in July could be slower than in years past and Sept might end of being “the” month this year especially for the BFT and I will savor any opportunity to catch any BFT, let alone a Cow. I hope I couldn’t be more wrong but I think this might be the beginning of a new cycle/era and our BFT stock might start to phase out. Bait and water temp will be the deciding factors and I think we’ll all know in the next 30-45 days. It might be much much slower than the past previous seasons given the current state of affairs.

Surfersteve79

Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
Reports from the spotter plane is the most hes ever seen and commercial fleet finished the earliest ever. He reports fish from 50 to 400lb.
Thanks Mike let’s hope then they eventually move up the line and have plenty of bait and better water temps to greet them over the upcoming months

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
Just curious what if any reliable intel there has been or chatter from the spotter planes and long range boats up and down the line in Baja regarding this years BFT volumes. If anyone recalls this time last year it seemed every adjective was being used to describe the massive amount of tuna showing down the line.

There is no doubt that unless there is an erupt 180 turn around in the North East Pacific weather pattern for SoCal & Baja the fishing from the previous 5-6 years is going to be very different. Last year could have been the last great year of BFT fishing and arguably also the best dorado fishing many of us will experience in our lifetimes.

Anyone have any reliable information? Definitely thinking my trips in July could be slower than in years past and Sept might end of being “the” month this year especially for the BFT and I will savor any opportunity to catch any BFT, let alone a Cow. I hope I couldn’t be more wrong but I think this might be the beginning of a new cycle/era and our BFT stock might start to phase out. Bait and water temp will be the deciding factors and I think we’ll all know in the next 30-45 days. It might be much much slower than the past previous seasons given the current state of affairs.
Were you fishing in 2009? Just curious because that was probably the best dorado fishing in SoCal history. There was about two months of dorado all the way up to Santa Monica bay. I got several bulls in the upper 30's 5 miles off HB. Might have been 2008 but still. Last year was a small showing of dorado up this far, very small and short. I'm not trying to argue. Just though I would mention.

Guys were catching YT on malibu pier daily.

Here's to being optimistic and let's hope this is another banger year. Especially since I just got another boat!!!

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
San Marcos
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
On a return from a 16 day tip the Excel ran over a "spot" of bluefin starting a few miles south of Colonet that was 40-50 miles long. The weather was absolute crap, but those who chose to use the 50-60lb gear had some success hooking them. They may have landed a few if I remember correctly but massive casualties due to rough weather. As it was a cow trip to Hurricane my guess is there were many using the 100lb - 130lb gear and not getting bit

I think with the weather setting down as we shake off winter and the longer trips (2.5+) running soon, we will find them

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
Were you fishing in 2009? Just curious because that was probably the best dorado fishing in SoCal history. There was about two months of dorado all the way up to Santa Monica bay. I got several bulls in the upper 30's 5 miles off HB. Might have been 2008 but still. Last year was a small showing of dorado up this far, very small and short. I'm not trying to argue. Just though I would mention.

Here's to being optimistic and let's hope this is another banger year. Especially since I just got another boat!!!
I wouldn't be optimistic about Dorado this year. We are definitely in a cold water La Nina type year.

That said, Jim Hughes reports commercial boats catching albacore a few hundred miles southwest of SD, az opposed to 500miles west in past years. Heres hopin.

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
Thanks Mike let’s hope then they eventually move up the line and have plenty of bait and better water temps to greet them over the upcoming months
They are already within 120 miles of SD. Angler and Old Glory both hooked 100+ lb fish. Anglers got ones About 100 and 160. Not sure about OG.

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Reports from the spotter plane is the most hes ever seen and commercial fleet finished the earliest ever. He reports fish from 50 to 400lb.

Was just about to post this. Thanks for addressing it Mike. I as well heard the same thing that the commercial fleet limited out its quota in the earliest time frame it ever has. If that’s not a sign of abundance I don’t know what is.

What I would like to address about the season not starting like it did over the past few years Is due to the cold water. We’ve had massive storms since January. I’m sure we all have noticed the weather outside. From wind, to rain, to the cold chilled nights. It’s been under 70 degrees outside most of the year so far in cities besides Inland Empire.

And with this cold water? It has brought in an abundance of red crab that the bluefin are currently filling up on. We’ve marked em I’ve been on several trips this month with the Old Glory and we would circle school after school and none of them would come up for our chum. They are all stuck on the deep water red crab diet.

Lastly, The last few years I’ve noticed that the water was usually in the 60s starting February. If you look at water temps from Januaryish to now the water is hovering from 55 degrees to 58 degrees. This is from Clemente all the way down to Collonet. The water temperature change has definitely effected the bluefin and what’s available to eat in the water columns they are living in. I would say give it a few more months for this water to warm up? And the red crab to move out. And it will be game on. It’s only a waiting game at this point.

Last edited:

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft

I can think of 5 or 6 years at least in the last 35 that were better than last year. I do not even think of last year as a good year for Dorado.

california2

Jan 29, 2011
    N. OC
    Name
    cali
    Boat
    boat
    supposedly the mexican fleet quota out in 2 days if that answers your question on the volume.

Carl
    Carl
    It doesn't without knowing what their quota was and how that compares with previous years catches.

Even then it doesn't mean that volume from those two days is going to hold up.
    Upvote 0

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
    Monrovia ca united states
    Name
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat
    Sea Fox 248 Commander

afternoon weekday runs out of Long Beach we had multiple 10 plus fish days. abs when i say afternoon, it was like 230pm departures. right out in the channel between the West End and San Pedro. that was good times.

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    There have been Dorado years in the past where we were getting pissed everytime another 12 to 20 pound Dorado ate the marlin jigs we were pulling in a big tournament...the last year of the catalina gold cup we spotted a baseball infield sized patty between cat and clemente that had so many Dorado on it we got a 5 jig strike blitz 1/4 mile from the patty that brought at least 5000 Dorado to the boat..the water turned gold...the water between us and the patty was puddling and jumping Dorado for 1/4 mile by a 1/4 mile and we had to leave because we were in a marlin tournament

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    There have been Dorado years in the past where we were getting pissed everytime another 12 to 20 pound Dorado ate the marlin jigs we were pulling in a big tournament...the last year of the catalina gold cup we spotted a baseball infield sized patty between cat and clemente that had so many Dorado on it we got a 5 jig strike blitz 1/4 mile from the patty that brought at least 5000 Dorado to the boat..the water turned gold...the water between us and the patty was puddling and jumping Dorado for 1/4 mile by a 1/4 mile and we had to leave because we were in a marlin tournament

That would have been fun if you can get a yo yo down deep enough. Never know what’s lurking down below

82DD7A70-313C-4089-B70C-77257C62394C.jpeg

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    The great thing about BFT is they can tolerate much colder water than most pelagic species. I've caught them in water that was in the high 40's in the Atlantic. Everything in CA is cyclical, so who knows when it changes but the colder water won't force them to leave like so many species.

Upvote 0

Latest posts