Bluefin processing

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Someday
If lucky enough to catch one of these bigger model bluefin #80-#100, on specifically a 3/4 day or overnight trip and want to have it professionally processed what should you do?

To be more clear, this is for short trips(3/4day) where you end up lucky and boat a #100 fish and get back to your truck at 9pm. What are your options? Is it simply keep it on ice until morning then drop it off?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
The major processors usually meet the boats at the dock when they come in. 5 Star, Fisherman’s Processing, and Mario’s all do so at the Municipal landings (Fisherman’s, Point Loma, H&M).

If in doubt, tell the deckhands on the boat that you want your fish processed and they will treat it accordingly and make sure arrangements are made.

Upvote 0

double_entendre

Zat is not my tuna
Aug 1, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Bob
Boat
Ho, ho, ho your boat
The major processors usually meet the boats at the dock when they come in. 5 Star, Fisherman’s Processing, and Mario’s all do so at the Municipal landings (Fisherman’s, Point Loma, H&M).

If in doubt, tell the deckhands on the boat that you want your fish processed and they will treat it accordingly and make sure arrangements are made.

What do they do differently if you're having them processed?

Upvote 0

tailhunter42

Almost A Member
Sep 17, 2010
Huntington Beach,CA,USA
if you call them and let them know you want fish processed coming back in after hours they will give you a code to drop fish off and a color of zip tie to put on tails of fish. they have an after hours bin that you drop them in and they will be on ice and get processed fish thing in the morning. just call a processor during normal hours and they will explain

Upvote 0

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Someday
Call 5 Star they have a drop off bin with a lock. if you call them they will give you a code and starting July 1st they will be open at night.
Thanks for replies guys. I did the bin in the past but its been a few years and I heard it was no longer an option.
if you call them and let them know you want fish processed coming back in after hours they will give you a code to drop fish off and a color of zip tie to put on tails of fish. they have an after hours bin that you drop them in and they will be on ice and get processed fish thing in the morning. just call a processor during normal hours and they will explain

Upvote 0

Spanky79

Happiest on the water
Oct 27, 2018
palm desert
Name
Chris
Boat
anything I can get on
have the boat call them ahead of time, if you have enough people they will meet you at the dock. But you won't get your fish until the next day, obviously

Upvote 0

Sdchronix

Kook Style
Jul 26, 2018
San diego
Name
Anthony C.
Boat
Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
^^ about that if just filleted and vac sealed. A little more if you are getting some smoked or jerky'ed.
Definitely worth the extra 10cents for the thicker bags and if you aren't eating it right away and plan on freezing it, you can have them flash freeze it so it will last longer and taste better.
I sent mine to 5 star recently and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. So much easier than vac sealing yourself at home.

Upvote 0

InDeepShip

Nov 5, 2017
SD
Name
Adam
Boat
N/A
^^ about that if just filleted and vac sealed. A little more if you are getting some smoked or jerky'ed.
Definitely worth the extra 10cents for the thicker bags and if you aren't eating it right away and plan on freezing it, you can have them flash freeze it so it will last longer and taste better.
I sent mine to 5 star recently and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. So much easier than vac sealing yourself at home.
How much was your fish? I don't freeze tuna I give it all away before it gets to the freezer

Reactions: Sdchronix
Upvote 0

Sdchronix

Kook Style
Jul 26, 2018
San diego
Name
Anthony C.
Boat
Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
I was 62lbs dressed. I paid I think $65. Which was with jerky and smoke, while my buddy who dropped off a fish the same size and ordered it the same way as me paid 90 haha.

Reactions: InDeepShip
Upvote 0

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
I just had Mario’s do 40 pounds and it was $34 including a ton of ice.

The biggest difference is taking the filets home to do yourself, or picking up processed primo portions vacuum sealed (and flash frozen if you leave it) - well worth it IMHO.

Reactions: Sdchronix
Upvote 0

InDeepShip

Nov 5, 2017
SD
Name
Adam
Boat
N/A
I just had Mario’s do 40 pounds and it was $34 including a ton of ice.

The biggest difference is taking the filets home to do yourself, or picking up processed primo portions vacuum sealed (and flash frozen if you leave it) - well worth it IMHO.
What was the turn around time?

Upvote 0

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
It could have been next morning, but I ended up having to let it sit for a week and a half due to circumstances.

Upvote 0