Bluefin popping with spinning gear

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by ksong, Jun 10, 2016.

1. ksong

ksong I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    KIL SONG
    Boat:
    NONE
    vegasandre,

As you might know, I fished bluefin in NC as well as Cape Cod. But I've never seen foaming of bluefin like in California.
    I am wondering where they come from as we used to catch small bluefin in California.
    I hope the trend will continue so that anglers on the West Coast enjoy bluefin fishing for a long time to come.

errock_22 and Chrisben like this.
  2. stank

stank Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    I'll hope along with you!

3. hydro

hydro Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    I wish
    Not sure about the biggest ever but the biggest Bluefin tuna caught on IGFA legal fly tackle (20lbs class tippet) was 196 lbs 9 oz, caught by Brad Kistler in 2012 at Morehead City, North Carolina.

4. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    My guess and many other I have talked all would agree that these were the small ones we have seen a few years back and have been following a migration pattern off the pacific towards Japan and migrate back this way. As we noticed the grade of fish increasing in size as last year we saw 100lbers than 150 now 200. If they were to return if that is if water temps stay the way they possible 300?
    I also read somewhere I may be a bit off that one of these bluefin caught had a tag that traveled 3000 miles

5. stank

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    I got a 79# on 20#, that' tall the light tackle BFT I want.

Sabre 270, Penn 501 with a plastic spool, over an hour

6. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I smoke all of them.

Lol.

7. falconer

falconer Member

Name:
    Doug Pineo
    Boat:
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner

And good luck getting your fish expertly processed, flash frozen and vacuum packed once returning to port on the East Coast. Also, bring your own lunch. Some excellent boats and captains back there, but the San Diego-based long range fleet is unique.

8. chamackO

chamackO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
    Been wondering about this exact point on fish processing for cape cod trip. How to get the fish processed for a flight home? Can anyone chime in? Kil? Now is the right time for some of those captains to get some west coast guys to travel for a shot at big BFT

9. ksong

Name:
    KIL SONG
    Boat:
    NONE
    In NC, there are fishing cleaning station for charge. They just filet for you and it is up to you how to ship.
    In Cape Cod, Capt or mate filet fish for you.
    But you got to catch first before worrying about bringing them home. :)

When I fish with overseas anglers, I usually arrange dry ice and freeze the filleted fish so that they can bring the fish with them on a plane.

10. falconer

falconer Member

Name:
    Doug Pineo
    Boat:
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    I've begun looking into the Cape Cod opportunity, as I have a sister in the Boston area and a number of customers who are avid salt anglers there. My plan was to find a local facility with a flash freezer. This is totally doable up in Gloucester, MA. Obviously I'm still in the early phases of thinking about this. And like Kil wrote, you have to catch fish first!

Compared with Five Star and Fisherman's servicing the landings in San Diego, the East Coast just doesn't have the market. The fleet is primarily 6 packs, express boats and offshore center consoles, relatively thinly spread from Massachusetts to Florida. Around the tip of Florida up into the Gulf, you can still see new photos of grinning anglers standing in front of a scaffold festooned with pelagics, baking in the hot Venice, Louisiana sun.

When my wife and I buy shrimp, we make damn sure it's wild caught USA shrimp, i.e., from Louisiana's Gulf coast. Their captains sure know how to fish and the whole culture down there sure knows how to cook seafood. I want to fish there just for the experience and to support the Gulf sportfishing industry in the ongoing aftermath of the BP spill. However, hands down, for the angler who's serious about bringing home high quality fillets, loins, bellies and collars at the end of the trip, San Diego appears to be the best port in North America.

Tuna fishing Venice, LA.jpg

11. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    Towns like Plymouth and Gloucester have plenty of fish processors but have a serious look at the cost of bringing it home. How much fish do you want to bring on the plane?

12. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Are there local charities that can accept this fish as a donation?

jiggyn likes this.
  13. chamackO

chamackO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
    Same deal as the PV trips. 50lbs of frozen filets in a soft cooler. But key is to make sure they're nicely filet, vacuum bagged, and frozen.

14. ksong

Name:
    KIL SONG
    Boat:
    NONE
    bluefin for a donation ?
    I don't bring fish home whenever I go fishing unless my family asks me.
    But bluefin is an exception. It is too good for sushi and sashimi. :)

chamackO likes this.
  15. ksong

Name:
    KIL SONG
    Boat:
    NONE
    Some Capt in Cape Cod give you free trip if you catch bluefin over 73" which you can not keep and Capt can sell as commercial fish.

16. falconer

falconer Member

Name:
    Doug Pineo
    Boat:
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    For my part, the table fare is a big part of the experience. I'd prefer to target schoolie BFT, or fish under 73" anyway. Being a card-carrying tree hugger (of the killing and eating Bambi's mommy and daddy variety...), I may even have to amend this until I review BFT biology more closely. Yellowfin usually begin breeding at 2-3 years of age, but I don't know how old or what size is typical for BFT. I'd prefer to eat one who'd already had a chance (chances) to pass on its genes.

When we get back to port at San Diego, Five Star and Fisherman's both ship processed, frozen fish via air cargo as a matter of routine. I pick it up at the cargo facility at Spokane International. Piece of cake, and the shipping comes in around a dollar a pound, well worth it. I only brought home frozen fish in the round as checked baggage once, back in 1995, before the advent of RSW. On the east coast, I'll probably have to ship processed product myself, unless one of the processors Basil mentioned will ship out of Boston for me.

Anglers return from Alaska every day with processed fish but they're on Alaska Airlines. If you have an Alaska Airlines VISA card your first checked bag is free, your second is $25, your third is $75, so you could bring home 150 lbs. for $100. That would mean about 120 to 135 lbs.of product, depending on box weight and how much, if any, gel packs or dry ice you add. Not bad. The Alaska website tells you exactly how fresh and fresh/frozen fish must be packaged and it's all been sorted out for decades.

As for busting my ass to kill a big Bluefin, then give it to the boat, maybe this appeals to others, it's just not on the top of my bucket list. Learning from experienced east coast anglers who know how to fish tuna with poppers would be fun, though!

Abovewater and chamackO like this.
  17. falconer

falconer Member

Name:
    Doug Pineo
    Boat:
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    A 200 pound BFT and a 200 pound YFT are two wildly different fish for eating! A BFT of that size is the best tuna there is. For my taste, a 30-50 pound YFT is a lot better eating than a cow YFT.

chamackO and Chrisben like this.
  18. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    Here's a nice New England bluefin! 92", 453lb BFT dressed.

Rod: Madd Mantis #8 two piece 7' rod
    Lure: Madd Mantis A-12 Glider color green mack
    Reel: Daiwa Dogfight 7000
    Line: Power Pro Hollow Ace 100lb
    Fight Time: 20 minutes

[​IMG]

fishordie and Andriy Proshchenko like this.
  19. stank

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
  20. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    I'm not on BD as much as I once was, but when I looked today and saw a spinning/BFT post with 15 pages, I was expecting the worst. Glad to see I was wrong!!

fishordie and errock_22 like this.