Offshore Bluefin or Bust charter trip report

Rob Tressler

Mar 26, 2015
Name
Rob
Boat Name
Allison XB2002
Had a productive trip on the Poseidon out of H and M landing this last weekend. We captured 270 nice grade Mahi (more on that later) along with 50 bluefin to 212 lbs and several yellowfin to 40 lbs. We started jig fishing in the dark near San Diego for the smaller grade 30-50 lb bluefin and I captured a couple on a knife jig and one yellowfin as well in the dark. In total we got around 18 bluefin and the bite died. We continued hunting for fish in the lower zone till mid morning for no luck and then we started motoring north to the San Clemente zone we wanted to fish for the bigger grade fish as this trip was to focus on that and not the smaller grade fish or other species. On the way up in the daytime we ran into a huge school of Mahi, and were advised that we would stop and fish this, which we did for several hours, resulting in 270 Mahi for the anglers. I was so-so on catching these, as I'd had plenty of these on other trips this season, but it seemed the majority of the anglers were enjoying this, so the boat stuck around. This resulted in us getting to the main tuna grounds above San Clemente late, and the bite was very slow. The next day we moved from school to school of nice grade tuna, but had little luck until dark approached and then we got into a solid early nighttime bite on 100-160 lb class fish, A number of casualties, but we managed to boat 30 or so. In hindsight, as this was a bluefin specific charter, may have been better to forego the Mahi stop on the way to the big bluefin grounds, but we still had fun catching them, it just delayed getting to the early night bite in time. The next day we moved to the northwest of San Clemente after getting no hits on schools we were marking closer inside and I put out a frozen flyer on a balloon to pick off a 201 pounder in the late morning in about 15 minutes or less. I was using an unlimited rail rod I'd built on a Rainshadow Blank with an Avet EX Pro 80 three speed reel topped off with 130 lb spectra and 60 lbs of drag at full with a 19/0 Mustad circle hook that was shoulder hooked into a frozen flyer. I've used this single circle hook setup for 3 seasons and have not yet lost a single bite (14 above 200 so far and numerous smaller grade from 130-180)-amazing, as I was losing fish before using the classic treble-J hook trap setup seen on most boats-to each his own. Shortly thereafter I rigged a backpack frozen flyer and drifted it off the back of the boat with a 10/0 Trokar circle hook in the head of the bait. I was chatting to some other anglers and shortly after deploying the line started running out quickly and I came tight on another good one. After pulling on it for a little bit I decided not to be greedy and to let one of the other anglers experience the fight and asked who would like to wind this fish in. A really nice guy, Eddie was actually recommended by the crowd and I gave him the hookup and in 20 minutes this 212 lb fish was on the deck as well. The rod and reel setup worked like a dream, and managed these big fish very well. We drove around the remainder of the day, stopping on multiple schools for no luck on any method. I fished a sinker rig and had no luck as did other anglers, but then nighttime hit and a deep school came through at 300-600 feet and Eddie and I were bit on knife jigs. Eddie landed another beautiful Cow and I gave an example of how to release a big tuna by pulling the hook when we had 3 gaffs out as this was also a big fish. Oh well. For the trip I had two 50 lb class tuna, 3 from 130-160 lbs, one at 201 lbs and a hook and hand of 212 lbs, as well as a bunch of 15-20 lb dorado. Lori Heath, the charter master, had some nice tuna and Dorado as well, with her biggest at 160 lbs. Overall a productive trip and a number of personal bests for the folks on the charter, so we were pleased with that. If I can get the photos I'll post them.

Note: the nighttime schools of bigger fish held deeper (240-450 ft) than the smaller fish, and also were more responsive in terms of biting our jigs.
Lots of big ones in the San Clemente/Osborn/Snail/Mackerel Bank areas. Be safe and have fun.

Tight lines and God Bless,
Rob Tressler

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Great report and trip. NO PICS? The gang likes fish pics here!!!

BEEF.jpg

Upvote 0

Robmhc

Jul 4, 2021
    Inland Empire
    Name
    Rob Walter
    Boat Name
    -
    Had a productive trip on the Poseidon out of H and M landing this last weekend. We captured 270 nice grade Mahi (more on that later) along with 50 bluefin to 212 lbs and several yellowfin to 40 lbs. We started jig fishing in the dark near San Diego for the smaller grade 30-50 lb bluefin and I captured a couple on a knife jig and one yellowfin as well in the dark. In total we got around 18 bluefin and the bite died. We continued hunting for fish in the lower zone till mid morning for no luck and then we started motoring north to the San Clemente zone we wanted to fish for the bigger grade fish as this trip was to focus on that and not the smaller grade fish or other species. On the way up in the daytime we ran into a huge school of Mahi, and were advised that we would stop and fish this, which we did for several hours, resulting in 270 Mahi for the anglers. I was so-so on catching these, as I'd had plenty of these on other trips this season, but it seemed the majority of the anglers were enjoying this, so the boat stuck around. This resulted in us getting to the main tuna grounds above San Clemente late, and the bite was very slow. The next day we moved from school to school of nice grade tuna, but had little luck until dark approached and then we got into a solid early nighttime bite on 100-160 lb class fish, A number of casualties, but we managed to boat 30 or so. In hindsight, as this was a bluefin specific charter, may have been better to forego the Mahi stop on the way to the big bluefin grounds, but we still had fun catching them, it just delayed getting to the early night bite in time. The next day we moved to the northwest of San Clemente after getting no hits on schools we were marking closer inside and I put out a frozen flyer on a balloon to pick off a 201 pounder in the late morning in about 15 minutes or less. I was using an unlimited rail rod I'd built on a Rainshadow Blank with an Avet EX Pro 80 three speed reel topped off with 130 lb spectra and 60 lbs of drag at full with a 19/0 Mustad circle hook that was shoulder hooked into a frozen flyer. I've used this single circle hook setup for 3 seasons and have not yet lost a single bite (14 above 200 so far and numerous smaller grade from 130-180)-amazing, as I was losing fish before using the classic treble-J hook trap setup seen on most boats-to each his own. Shortly thereafter I rigged a backpack frozen flyer and drifted it off the back of the boat with a 10/0 Trokar circle hook in the head of the bait. I was chatting to some other anglers and shortly after deploying the line started running out quickly and I came tight on another good one. After pulling on it for a little bit I decided not to be greedy and to let one of the other anglers experience the fight and asked who would like to wind this fish in. A really nice guy, Eddie was actually recommended by the crowd and I gave him the hookup and in 20 minutes this 212 lb fish was on the deck as well. The rod and reel setup worked like a dream, and managed these big fish very well. We drove around the remainder of the day, stopping on multiple schools for no luck on any method. I fished a sinker rig and had no luck as did other anglers, but then nighttime hit and a deep school came through at 300-600 feet and Eddie and I were bit on knife jigs. Eddie landed another beautiful Cow and I gave an example of how to release a big tuna by pulling the hook when we had 3 gaffs out as this was also a big fish. Oh well. For the trip I had two 50 lb class tuna, 3 from 130-160 lbs, one at 201 lbs and a hook and hand of 212 lbs, as well as a bunch of 15-20 lb dorado. Lori Heath, the charter master, had some nice tuna and Dorado as well, with her biggest at 160 lbs. Overall a productive trip and a number of personal bests for the folks on the charter, so we were pleased with that. If I can get the photos I'll post them.

Note: the nighttime schools of bigger fish held deeper (240-450 ft) than the smaller fish, and also were more responsive in terms of biting our jigs.
    Lots of big ones in the San Clemente/Osborn/Snail/Mackerel Bank areas. Be safe and have fun.

Rob Tressler
    If possible can you please explain the “backpack” rig with the frozen flyer - line, rigging/placement hooks/size, rod and reel. Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

Bendo Babe

Catching is just icing on the cake!
  • Sep 12, 2017
    San Diego
    sisterhoodfishing.com
    Name
    Lori
    Boat Name
    None

Rob Tressler

Upvote 0

Bendo Babe

• Sep 12, 2017
    San Diego
    sisterhoodfishing.com
    Name
    Lori
    Boat Name
    None

Rob Tressler

39C784F1-C4EE-4284-B8F2-D2CA8AEA9D89.jpeg

4DAB3745-4061-44FF-BD94-F481B121626E.jpeg

307E061F-FFC0-4623-B1FF-8B4F4589241C.jpeg

BAB4CFFE-1E71-4E39-9B8D-4E1559B0108A.jpeg

A45692FC-1C75-4433-9B5C-BF5C6F991926.jpeg

D723DC13-FCB0-4B4D-9DC5-9438270D91CE.jpeg

5EFBD47F-25AC-4A5A-8B31-CD6BC2ACD4DE.jpeg

16E0D67E-5F64-4456-864F-DE5751D1D136.jpeg

B2DD2DF0-CE58-47DD-AE8C-D458C6D8ACB0.jpeg

E9C7C42F-E261-4C08-8E5D-5456DA85AC34.jpeg

BD9FD0CB-33C8-47B4-B0E9-3B9C5709758C.jpeg

1AAB1B2A-1740-46D3-BC71-319BB7422070.jpeg

68906125-409B-4703-A234-9FF812AA5113.jpeg

6DD0337C-93E5-46E8-BF4E-25D6709E865C.jpeg

64F6519E-EF50-4039-82FD-E047C8B266DE.jpeg

BF2CABD7-A9F3-4047-AA50-AA51760AD338.jpeg

E8A449EA-4997-4E2A-A205-BFD591CE3E41.jpeg

Upvote 0

Bendo Babe

• Sep 12, 2017
    San Diego
    sisterhoodfishing.com
    Name
    Lori
    Boat Name
    None
    It was an amazing trip! Teamrainshadow bluefin or bust Charters look it up on Facebook and add yourself for more information for next year‘s charters we still have openings on October 6-9 3day Charter on the legend $950 food included and were sponsored by Batson Enterprises Teamrainshadow are we giving away a rod, Anglerettes & Fishing.Evike.com lots of swag for all anglers. Contact Lori Heath at 831-600-6511 to sign up.

Reactions: Rob Tressler
    Upvote 0

Rob Tressler

Mar 26, 2015
    Name
    Rob
    Boat Name
    Allison XB2002
    If possible can you please explain the “backpack” rig with the frozen flyer - line, rigging/placement hooks/size, rod and reel. Thank you in advance.
    I use a sliced piece of grey foam pipe insulation (small diameter to match the flyer) tapered on both ends so it lays naturrally on the top of the flyer, kinda looking like part of the fish. peg it front and back and secure with wax thread front and back, both sets of fins extended, but use a delta wing profile on the pectorals for better tracking/stability though the water and the lightest bamboo skewers possible so the wings collapse when the fish hits. Nose hooked with a 10/0 Mustad Trokar tied to 150 lb clear mono (it floats) with a Springer Knot. The fish swallow this setup. Both fish were gut-hooked on the circle!

Upvote 0

Bendo Babe

• Sep 12, 2017
    San Diego
    sisterhoodfishing.com
    Name
    Lori
    Boat Name
    None

Rob Tressler

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
    Mar 3, 2008
    Aztlan
    Name
    Mandoman
    Boat Name
    Kathleen

Rob Tressler
    I think I need a cigarette! Baby. Great report

Reactions: Rob Tressler
    Upvote 0