Offshore Bluefin on the troll near the border

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Headed out Saturday night 6/26 reaching the 226 area around 10:00 pm. Couldn't get any night biters despite shutting down on meter marks in the dark a few times. At 5:30 am the first school we metered in the light responded to the chum, I hung a nice one on 30 lb. test on a sardine and small hook. Unfortunately that small hook pulled at color, it was a 50 lb. class bluefin. Found more schools to respond to chum a couple of times, but couldn't get them to bite a bait with a hook in it. We were trolling while looking and finally got a bite on the silver/blue halco. Put up a very nice fight, but as the bluefin was almost to the boat it got off but left us a strip of it's skin. Most probably snagged in the top of the head where there's not much meat to hold onto. We then got a bluefin on the natural color cedar plug, good to get the skunk off the boat. The big bonito were around too, got a nice model on the halco. Back at the slip at 2, good day on the water, numbers where we hooked the bluefin are below.

Also, looks like our state government is proposing extremely onerous and costly regulations for the party boat and whale watching fleet regarding their diesel engines. I encourage everyone to support SAC, CCA and a host of other organizations by signing the petition to stop the madness. And if you think it doesn't affect you because you don't own a party boat, it will when they have to raise prices or go out of business. No doubt once they require party boat owners to implement these changes, private boat owners will be the next in line to get screwed.

www.savefishing.com

Scott's BFT.jpg

IMG_9587.jpg

halco with bft skin.jpg

bluefin numbers.jpg

bft number 2.jpg

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Were you fishing the trolling lures in the wake or out long?

Reactions: Otto
Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2021
San Diego
Name
Pete
Boat
Dine
For your info. Back on 2001 when I was commercial fishing on Morrow Bay for Albacore. The state and Feds were giving away those engines as grants when they first started that “clean up “ diesel. Hopefully it still applies not sure
You just had to have enough fuel receipts to get the grant.

Reactions: flytie
Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
It’s more than that! Those engines aren’t good enough now!

Upvote 0

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Headed out Saturday night 6/26 reaching the 226 area around 10:00 pm. Couldn't get any night biters despite shutting down on meter marks in the dark a few times. At 5:30 am the first school we metered in the light responded to the chum, I hung a nice one on 30 lb. test on a sardine and small hook. Unfortunately that small hook pulled at color, it was a 50 lb. class bluefin. Found more schools to respond to chum a couple of times, but couldn't get them to bite a bait with a hook in it. We were trolling while looking and finally got a bite on the silver/blue halco. Put up a very nice fight, but as the bluefin was almost to the boat it got off but left us a strip of it's skin. Most probably snagged in the top of the head where there's not much meat to hold onto. We then got a bluefin on the natural color cedar plug, good to get the skunk off the boat. The big bonito were around too, got a nice model on the halco. Back at the slip at 2, good day on the water, numbers where we hooked the bluefin are below.

Also, looks like our state government is proposing extremely onerous and costly regulations for the party boat and whale watching fleet regarding their diesel engines. I encourage everyone to support SAC, CCA and a host of other organizations by signing the petition to stop the madness. And if you think it doesn't affect you because you don't own a party boat, it will when they have to raise prices or go out of business. No doubt once they require party boat owners to implement these changes, private boat owners will be the next in line to get screwed.

www.savefishing.com

View attachment 1293823

View attachment 1293824

View attachment 1293825

View attachment 1293826

View attachment 1293827
Please replace the hooks on that halco

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover

www.savefishing.com

View attachment 1293823

View attachment 1293824

View attachment 1293825

View attachment 1293826

View attachment 1293827
    Wow! Nice solid fish, pic of the lure, and where you scored, very nice of you! :urno1:

Upvote 0

pascuale

• Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    Still killing Bluefin Don. Ill never forget that day on the Dolphin II back in the Albi days when those big BFT came through.

Upvote 0