backfisher

Jun 9, 2017
San Diego
Name
Richard
Boat Name
If I only...
66B758E7-968D-43CE-B374-DC170518337A.jpeg
My first post, so let me know if this is what you are looking for in a fishing report

I thought I would try to get in one more trip before the season ends, so I booked an overnight trip on the Old Glory for some tuna fishing at San Clemente Island. There was a light load, and I have always had good luck on this boat, so things were looking hopeful.

The ride out that night was pleasant, the seas were calm all day and there was very little wind to speak of. We started started trolling around 6:00 in the morning, starting off at the southeast corner of the island, where the captain said there were fish a few days previous. We trolled around for a couple of hours, seeing nothing in the way of fish, and the captain said we were going to head over to the west side of the island where there were also fish a few days before.

Getting to the new spot, we start fishing, and almost immediately we get a few fish on. It was slow but steady for the rest of the day, with someone on a fish for the next 3 or so hours. The most frustrating part of the day was seeing all the big bluefin boiling around the boat, but the fish were not all that interested in our sardines. People tried poppers, flat falls and irons, but with the exception of one fish caught on a flat fall the tuna were not interested. The boat ended up with 16 fish for 17 people, and they were all good sized fish in the 40 to 60lb class. The key to catching these fish was using smaller sardines, as the captain mentioned that the fish were eating the small anchovies in the area and were showing no interest in the large sardines we had for bait.

I came home with two fish so the freezer is restocked and I caught my first bluefin!

Overall it was a good trip, with one of the best groups of fishermen I have experienced on a sport boat. No drama, everyone was friendly and worked very well together. The captain and crew of the Old Glory were once again first rate, and I personally think this is one of the best boats in the San Diego fleet.

Upvote 0

NtensiV

It is what it is....
Feb 26, 2016
SoCal
Name
Steve0hands
Boat Name
Parker 2530
Nice report! We were by you during the morning until we decided to move and find a new location. We caught 2 BFT in the morning. 30lbs test, with 25lbs Flor leader, 1/0 hook w/fly lines dino.

Fish are still around!!

Reactions: moorefish
Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat Name
Maria
Excellent work great info appreciate the post!

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat Name
    the twisted ducker
    A fine report there Rick.

Eat well bud.

Upvote 0

backfisher

Jun 9, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Richard
    Boat Name
    If I only...
    Thanks for the kudos everyone, it was a nice trip.

Lake 53, I was using 65 lb braid with 50 yards of a 30 lb mono topshot and 6 ft 30 lb floro leader. Just about everyone on the boat was using a 30 lb. floro leader at the captains recommendation. later in the day I think a few people were going down to 25 lb, but with the possibility of hooking one of the big fish swimming around the boat, most people were hesitant to drop down in line strength.

Reactions: rick rouland
    Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    Cabo 216
    Dont be afraid to fish 20 flouro. With the right long parabolic rod you can pull pretty hard on 20. I got a 45lb'r bluefin and many big yellows heading for the rocks and kelp while palming the line against the foregrip.

Reactions: Peg North
    Upvote 0

Peg North

Peripatetic
    May 22, 2009
    West Sacramento CA
    Name
    Peg
    Boat Name
    Slow Poke
    Dont be afraid to fish 20 flouro. With the right long parabolic rod you can pull pretty hard on 20. I got a 45lb'r bluefin and many big yellows heading for the rocks and kelp while palming the line against the foregrip.

Yes to this technique. stealth and kind of like listening to the fish for when you can apply the pressure.

Buggywhip

Reactions: pukahd
    Upvote 0