Bluefin on the Constitution

El Buso

May 6, 2005
Pauma Valley
Name
Joe
Boat
80 Aqua Bay
The weather report on Friday afternoon sounded like a line from the movie Jurassic Park..."Hold on to your butts" We cleared the point at 8:45 with plenty of good bait on top and 2 slammers full. We woke up before grey at 90 miles and put out the feathers. Went East and found a 1 degree temp break and at 7:30 AM the Black and Purple Cedar Plug went off and we are on the board. Very nice blue fin around 25-30#'s.
Good signal in that area, We worked it for an hour or so and lost one more on the Black and Purple again.
I saw 5 good meter marks in that area, I'm sure some of those were Albacore but they would not go for us. We circled and chummed. We circled and didn't chum. We stopped and threw bait with them under the boat and they wouldn't come up. Used every type of Iron we had but no go.
Later someone said they thought the weather was laying down and lay down it did.
We stopped on dead kelps until we were sick of them. We finished the late afternoon up at Colnett ...where others were also. Nice Reds and Lings.
Ran all night to get to the Coronados by AM. You didn't even feel the boat move.
Daybreak at the Rockpile we had Barries in the chum but "All show and no go"
Checked both sides of South and Middle Islands for nothing.
Went around the corner at Pukey Point and there were 62 boats there including some in the long range fleet. There was little or no room to drop anchor but fish were coming on for other boats.
I had the guys pull the hook and we went down the lee side to the south point of North Island. My stern was 70'-80' off the point. That did the trick and we started to get bit. Jackpot was high 20's. We lost a lot to the rocks.
A slow start to the season but a start nonetheless. I'd say within 2 weeks and we'll all be happy.
Joe

caserock

Student of life ....
Nov 29, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Mike
Boat
La Otra
thanks for the report Joe !!!!

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
so YOU were they guy we were all cursing for getting bit in cold, dirty water, eh Joe?

LOL

just kidding, we were down about 150 and Mark told us there was one caught 60 miles behind us....

congrats. Season should be here soon. See you on your boat. :D

perrywalker

Skipper
Aug 7, 2007
Scottsdale, The Big Bay- Harbor Island
Name
Perry
Boat
26' Bayliner Cruiser - Gloria Jean
Thanks for the report Joe, it all helps.