Bluefin on the Aztec 12-1-16 NOT!

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by tom cindric, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Shogunsc4

Shogunsc4 Member

Name:
    Sheki
    Boat:
    na
    Lol people are getting spoiled nowadays. Aztec is a stand up operation. Too bad they can't guarantee catching.... Bummer

Tom Jr. and invictus like this.
  2. fishboy93

fishboy93 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Who’s hiring?
    100 miles each way, plus tons of driving around, plus extra hours of work, plus needing extra bait that costs more than dines... adds up quick. These boys wouldn't be in business if they were always losing money.

Blackfish and jeremyv75 like this.
  3. Nateosp26

Nateosp26 Newbie

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Gotta Go
    Surprised most are still in business. maintenance, fuel, dock fees, bait, payroll, boat payment, etc, seems like everyone gets a piece of the pie before it even leaves the dock. Just a few major repairs can send those guys backwards in seconds then to have a full time job that you live at. Buy a boat and see what 30$ extra per person gets you on a trip to Clemente/tanner.

Blackfish and Tom Jr. like this.
  4. tom cindric

tom cindric Tom-broke-off

Name:
    all she's got
    Boat:
    22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
    I'm not all pissed off about the the surcharge or not catching fish, I did say yes after all. I just feel stupid for paying more to go looking for fish when you already know where they are. Every one on the boat was there to get a chance of catching a bluefin most anglers had only 50 or 60lb rigs and they charged folks that needed lighter line on their reels. That's all fine too, I don't expect to get anything for free. Steve did work very hard at trying to put some YF on the boat. I just think we may have done better if we resorted to other options. My post was not ment to bash the captain or the boat just to make sure you do your homework before you book a trip. Make sure the boat has live squid for the morning bite to up your chances at the blue grounds. This was my first trip on party boat in a few years and my only chance at getting bluefin for Xmas. It didn't pan out and that's fine. Just trying help anyone that planning trip in the next few days that is looking for bluefin or yellowfin.

Blackfish and Cubeye like this.
  5. Shogunsc4

Shogunsc4 Member

Name:
    Sheki
    Boat:
    na
    Aztec was the first boat to explore different zones and found the larger yft earlier this fall. They take risk and most of the time, it pays off big

solid72, mrtonx and zanegrange2 like this.
  6. simmo13

simmo13 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Simmo
    Boat:
    2007 17' Baja bayrunner
    i don't always fish for bluefin but when I do I expect to cetch them in December after the bite has tapered off. Steve is the man and as fishy as they come. They are always on the fish.

7. brewin03

brewin03 Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    nope
    I was on the Toranado the day before (11/30) and all 8 of our fish were caught before 10am on live squid, I believe 3 were hooked in the dark. If you got there late without squid you might not have had any fish on the boat. My guess is you guys probably weren't gonna have the squid by the early morning (since you said the Pride didn't hand off bait till later) so Steve elected to try something different and wait for the night bite. Sounds like it was a pretty good game plan since the night bite had been going off for a whole week prior. Seems the night bite shut down, wind and current making it hard to keep a bait down. I've fished the Aztec quite a few times and they run a solid operation. A couple years ago when the yellowfin were biting around SCI Greg opted to fish away from the fleet and it payed off. Sometimes the decisions work, sometimes they don't but that's fishing for you.

lougio likes this.
  8. jigfisherman

jigfisherman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Josh Huffstetler
    Boat:
    none
    You are largely mistaken about their risks paying off big. More times then not they don't even post a fish count when they explore because they strike out on those trips. If they always seems to find fish in these new zones, why do they always fish with the fleet. It's only been a select few times that either Steve or Greg has ventured and it's paid off. It's unfortunate that neither of them know how to report the size of fish correctly either. They have done a few things over the last few years that most boats would never do to entice customers to ride their boats

Cubeye, streetnfish and atun53 like this.
  9. tmitch760

tmitch760 Member

Name:
    T.J.
    Boat:
    Triumph 21 cc
    Thats why it's called fishing, not catching. Just the thought of Tuna fishing while my wife is Christmas shopping is crazy.

10. viti

viti Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    none
    Any insights you can share on what worked for the people who caught fish? I'm on the Toronado tonight and would greatly appreciate some fresh suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    MAJOR: "What do you think of this Bluefin hunting trip Gunny"???

GUNNY HIGHWAY: "Fishing for big Bluefin IS Hunting!"
    "Some days you get the Bear... Some Days the Bear GETS YOU! " LOL

GunnyHighway.jpg

invictus likes this.
  12. brewin03

brewin03 Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    nope
    I've been fortunate enough to have gotten out 3 times to the Tanner within the past 3 weeks on the sporties and boated one each trip out. My advice is have sinkers in different sizes. My last 2 trips had very little current or wind in the morning so I fished lite glow sliders (3/4 oz and 1oz) and got bit. Have some heavy sinkers for the night, I had a hard time keeping 8oz torpedo down. My first trip had current and wind in the morning so I fished 3oz and got bit. Go heavy line in the dark. Guys that got bit in the middle of the day used 50# line. 3 weeks ago one guy got bit in the day with a 135 bluesardine flatfall, 2 weeks ago a guy got bit at night on a 200g glow, last Wednesday one guy pulled a hook on a 135g with a squid on it (didn't see color). Might sound crazy but buy one of those 99cent mini flashlights and charge your sinker a couple of seconds before you drop down. Conditions have changed a lot, less blue shark and smaller fish mixed in. Last Wednesday all 8 fish between 20-55 pounds. Hope this helps.

viti likes this.
  13. NO4NMTL

NO4NMTL Member

Name:
    Buddy
    Boat:
    205 Conquest
    my Son and I have been on three trips on the Aztec each time almost everyone even the rookies like us caught BF and everyone left the boat happy. I'd spend my money to fish with them anytime Id much rather spend a few xtra bucks and look for the fish than sit on the spot where "they should be" any day

Tom Jr. and invictus like this.
  14. Billy V

Billy V Seabass Commando

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
    Nothing stays the same or lasts forever !

You guys decided to take a chance after having been given the option, and you said you ALL agreed to try for yellowfin first.
    - Hey, sometimes shit happens and sometimes it don't.

The fish are still there, but the pattern is changing. It's going to take some exploring to figure it out again.

15. Shogunsc4

Shogunsc4 Member

Name:
    Sheki
    Boat:
    na
    Lol is this from your one time experience with them and you skunked out? It's always somebody else's fault

16. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Last shot for me. I have been on that boat every year for almost a decade, going back to when Ebring owned it and Mike ran it.

Never, once, had a bad trip. Fishing is fishing. You make a plan based on what you THINK will maximize your shot. As soon as you own a boat and make a few trips it humbles you right up, looking at your buddies who split costs with you and an empty cooler.

It's fishing. I have been on the hook on my boat and caught a cold, while a 45' private boat decked 2 monster Halibut and 6 tanker Seabass, on the same squid bed.

Wish I could have been on that trip, can't catch a whiff on my couch or at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO4NMTL and Blackfish like this.
  17. mike82

mike82 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    a fish killing center console
    my buddy and I have always said to get rid of the so-called "fuel surcharge" and just factor it into the cost. sorry, but imposing a "fuel surcharge" when diesel is the lowest it's been in years simply doesn't fly. just call it what it is and simply increase the cost to step onto the boat, period. I never mentioned "extra hours of work", but if you wanna talk about that then as far as "extra hours of work" go, well, if a crew doesn't want to go the extra mile then they don't deserve the extra cash they call a "fuel surcharge". that's like joe schmo expecting the maximum annual pay raise when he's simply meeting the standard. if joe schmo wants the max pay increase, then he must go above and beyond. he needs to set himself apart from the rest. that's my work ethic anyway. I also didn't mention anything about "extra bait that costs more". if the boat is going to guarantee nice live squid for bait, then hell yes, impose a bait surcharge. i'll gladly pay that to fish the candy. but stop with the fuel surcharge already. that shit's old and all played out. that's my opinion.

MarktheShark56 likes this.
  18. Shogunsc4

Shogunsc4 Member

Name:
    Sheki
    Boat:
    na
    Lol it's a business.... Not a charity. These guys with their asses off and work extra long hours. So you want to fish longer than the trip advertise but you are tripping for paying a little extra to do so? If this trip they limited out on bft, you guys wouldn't be complaining. In the customer service world, people like you guys make things tough because you are impossible to please. It's December people! Just be grateful that you get a shit at these beautiful fish.

NO4NMTL and mrtonx like this.
  19. zanegrange2

zanegrange2 Member

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    flight risk
    Greg and Steve are the best captains I've ever seen for overnights and 1.5 day trips and I've seen them all over thirty years. Tough Break.there is a new breed at the helm these days...Had he crushed it at Desperation you would be praising him........again as said before it's fishing not catching. Aztec Rules.

gved823 likes this.
  20. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    I have fished the Aztec and it's ok. That said I don't get the $30 dollar surcharge. They probably knew their game plan and should have put the additional cost in their posted price, in my view. The Thunderbird sometimes asks fo $10 for squid but I have seen them make it optional like an honor system, I like the Tbird. If I was signing up for tanker BFT I would have liked to have targeted them at the posted price. The chance for a large BFT or a ho hum YFT is a no brainer to me. If that is their business model so be it, find another boat if that is an issue. I support the boats that provide the best overall experience to me and have decided not to support boats with practices and service that was subpar or not what I would consider basic. I paid $400 for a 3/4 day charter for BFT earlier in the year and got skunked. But we targeted them, the price was up front and it was all good. Then there was the O95 for their posted price, no surchsrge, we fished till 11 pm on a 1 1/2 day we were lucky and landed 49 BFT. IMG_0831.JPG

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016