simmo13

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 12, 2010
Pacific ocean
Name
Simmo
Boat
Looking
i don't always fish for bluefin but when I do I expect to cetch them in December after the bite has tapered off. Steve is the man and as fishy as they come. They are always on the fish.

brewin03

Oct 22, 2014
Name
Ron
Boat
nope
I was on the Toranado the day before (11/30) and all 8 of our fish were caught before 10am on live squid, I believe 3 were hooked in the dark. If you got there late without squid you might not have had any fish on the boat. My guess is you guys probably weren't gonna have the squid by the early morning (since you said the Pride didn't hand off bait till later) so Steve elected to try something different and wait for the night bite. Sounds like it was a pretty good game plan since the night bite had been going off for a whole week prior. Seems the night bite shut down, wind and current making it hard to keep a bait down. I've fished the Aztec quite a few times and they run a solid operation. A couple years ago when the yellowfin were biting around SCI Greg opted to fish away from the fleet and it payed off. Sometimes the decisions work, sometimes they don't but that's fishing for you.

Reactions: lougio

jigfisherman

Nov 17, 2010
Huntington Beach
Name
Josh Huffstetler
Boat
none
Aztec was the first boat to explore different zones and found the larger yft earlier this fall. They take risk and most of the time, it pays off big
You are largely mistaken about their risks paying off big. More times then not they don't even post a fish count when they explore because they strike out on those trips. If they always seems to find fish in these new zones, why do they always fish with the fleet. It's only been a select few times that either Steve or Greg has ventured and it's paid off. It's unfortunate that neither of them know how to report the size of fish correctly either. They have done a few things over the last few years that most boats would never do to entice customers to ride their boats

tmitch760

Aug 6, 2008
Santee
Name
T.J.
Boat
Triumph 21 cc
Thats why it's called fishing, not catching. Just the thought of Tuna fishing while my wife is Christmas shopping is crazy.

viti

Feb 17, 2008
Fresno
Name
Matt
Boat
none
I was on the Toranado the day before (11/30) and all 8 of our fish were caught before 10am on live squid, I believe 3 were hooked in the dark. If you got there late without squid you might not have had any fish on the boat. My guess is you guys probably weren't gonna have the squid by the early morning (since you said the Pride didn't hand off bait till later) so Steve elected to try something different and wait for the night bite. Sounds like it was a pretty good game plan since the night bite had been going off for a whole week prior. Seems the night bite shut down, wind and current making it hard to keep a bait down. I've fished the Aztec quite a few times and they run a solid operation. A couple years ago when the yellowfin were biting around SCI Greg opted to fish away from the fleet and it payed off. Sometimes the decisions work, sometimes they don't but that's fishing for you.
Any insights you can share on what worked for the people who caught fish? I'm on the Toronado tonight and would greatly appreciate some fresh suggestions.
Thanks,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
MAJOR: "What do you think of this Bluefin hunting trip Gunny"???

GUNNY HIGHWAY: "Fishing for big Bluefin IS Hunting!"
"Some days you get the Bear... Some Days the Bear GETS YOU! " LOL

GunnyHighway.jpg

Reactions: invictus

brewin03

Oct 22, 2014
Name
Ron
Boat
nope
I've been fortunate enough to have gotten out 3 times to the Tanner within the past 3 weeks on the sporties and boated one each trip out. My advice is have sinkers in different sizes. My last 2 trips had very little current or wind in the morning so I fished lite glow sliders (3/4 oz and 1oz) and got bit. Have some heavy sinkers for the night, I had a hard time keeping 8oz torpedo down. My first trip had current and wind in the morning so I fished 3oz and got bit. Go heavy line in the dark. Guys that got bit in the middle of the day used 50# line. 3 weeks ago one guy got bit in the day with a 135 bluesardine flatfall, 2 weeks ago a guy got bit at night on a 200g glow, last Wednesday one guy pulled a hook on a 135g with a squid on it (didn't see color). Might sound crazy but buy one of those 99cent mini flashlights and charge your sinker a couple of seconds before you drop down. Conditions have changed a lot, less blue shark and smaller fish mixed in. Last Wednesday all 8 fish between 20-55 pounds. Hope this helps.

Reactions: viti

NO4NMTL

Feb 27, 2008
Orange County
Name
Buddy
Boat
205 Conquest
my Son and I have been on three trips on the Aztec each time almost everyone even the rookies like us caught BF and everyone left the boat happy. I'd spend my money to fish with them anytime Id much rather spend a few xtra bucks and look for the fish than sit on the spot where "they should be" any day

Billy V

Seabass Commando
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
Nothing stays the same or lasts forever !

You guys decided to take a chance after having been given the option, and you said you ALL agreed to try for yellowfin first.
- Hey, sometimes shit happens and sometimes it don't.

The fish are still there, but the pattern is changing. It's going to take some exploring to figure it out again.

Shogunsc4

May 5, 2008
Glendora
Name
Sheki
Boat
na
You are largely mistaken about their risks paying off big. More times then not they don't even post a fish count when they explore because they strike out on those trips. If they always seems to find fish in these new zones, why do they always fish with the fleet. It's only been a select few times that either Steve or Greg has ventured and it's paid off. It's unfortunate that neither of them know how to report the size of fish correctly either. They have done a few things over the last few years that most boats would never do to entice customers to ride their boats
Lol is this from your one time experience with them and you skunked out? It's always somebody else's fault

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Last shot for me. I have been on that boat every year for almost a decade, going back to when Ebring owned it and Mike ran it.

Never, once, had a bad trip. Fishing is fishing. You make a plan based on what you THINK will maximize your shot. As soon as you own a boat and make a few trips it humbles you right up, looking at your buddies who split costs with you and an empty cooler.

It's fishing. I have been on the hook on my boat and caught a cold, while a 45' private boat decked 2 monster Halibut and 6 tanker Seabass, on the same squid bed.

Wish I could have been on that trip, can't catch a whiff on my couch or at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
100 miles each way, plus tons of driving around, plus extra hours of work, plus needing extra bait that costs more than dines... adds up quick. These boys wouldn't be in business if they were always losing money.
my buddy and I have always said to get rid of the so-called "fuel surcharge" and just factor it into the cost. sorry, but imposing a "fuel surcharge" when diesel is the lowest it's been in years simply doesn't fly. just call it what it is and simply increase the cost to step onto the boat, period. I never mentioned "extra hours of work", but if you wanna talk about that then as far as "extra hours of work" go, well, if a crew doesn't want to go the extra mile then they don't deserve the extra cash they call a "fuel surcharge". that's like joe schmo expecting the maximum annual pay raise when he's simply meeting the standard. if joe schmo wants the max pay increase, then he must go above and beyond. he needs to set himself apart from the rest. that's my work ethic anyway. I also didn't mention anything about "extra bait that costs more". if the boat is going to guarantee nice live squid for bait, then hell yes, impose a bait surcharge. i'll gladly pay that to fish the candy. but stop with the fuel surcharge already. that shit's old and all played out. that's my opinion.

Reactions: MarktheShark56

Shogunsc4

May 5, 2008
Glendora
Name
Sheki
Boat
na
my buddy and I have always said to get rid of the so-called "fuel surcharge" and just factor it into the cost. sorry, but imposing a "fuel surcharge" when diesel is the lowest it's been in years simply doesn't fly. just call it what it is and simply increase the cost to step onto the boat, period. I never mentioned "extra hours of work", but if you wanna talk about that then as far as "extra hours of work" go, well, if a crew doesn't want to go the extra mile then they don't deserve the extra cash they call a "fuel surcharge". that's like joe schmo expecting the maximum annual pay raise when he's simply meeting the standard. if joe schmo wants the max pay increase, then he must go above and beyond. he needs to set himself apart from the rest. that's my work ethic anyway. I also didn't mention anything about "extra bait that costs more". if the boat is going to guarantee nice live squid for bait, then hell yes, impose a bait surcharge. i'll gladly pay that to fish the candy. but stop with the fuel surcharge already. that shit's old and all played out. that's my opinion.
Lol it's a business.... Not a charity. These guys with their asses off and work extra long hours. So you want to fish longer than the trip advertise but you are tripping for paying a little extra to do so? If this trip they limited out on bft, you guys wouldn't be complaining. In the customer service world, people like you guys make things tough because you are impossible to please. It's December people! Just be grateful that you get a shit at these beautiful fish.

Reactions: NO4NMTL and mrtonx

zanegrange2

Nov 6, 2010
san clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
flight risk
Greg and Steve are the best captains I've ever seen for overnights and 1.5 day trips and I've seen them all over thirty years. Tough Break.there is a new breed at the helm these days...Had he crushed it at Desperation you would be praising him........again as said before it's fishing not catching. Aztec Rules.

Reactions: gved823

Highwayman

Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
I have fished the Aztec and it's ok. That said I don't get the $30 dollar surcharge. They probably knew their game plan and should have put the additional cost in their posted price, in my view. The Thunderbird sometimes asks fo $10 for squid but I have seen them make it optional like an honor system, I like the Tbird. If I was signing up for tanker BFT I would have liked to have targeted them at the posted price. The chance for a large BFT or a ho hum YFT is a no brainer to me. If that is their business model so be it, find another boat if that is an issue. I support the boats that provide the best overall experience to me and have decided not to support boats with practices and service that was subpar or not what I would consider basic. I paid $400 for a 3/4 day charter for BFT earlier in the year and got skunked. But we targeted them, the price was up front and it was all good. Then there was the O95 for their posted price, no surchsrge, we fished till 11 pm on a 1 1/2 day we were lucky and landed 49 BFT.
IMG_0831.JPG

Last edited:

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
Lol it's a business.... Not a charity. These guys with their asses off and work extra long hours. So you want to fish longer than the trip advertise but you are tripping for paying a little extra to do so? If this trip they limited out on bft, you guys wouldn't be complaining. In the customer service world, people like you guys make things tough because you are impossible to please. It's December people! Just be grateful that you get a shit at these beautiful fish.
extra long hours is the nature of their business. they chose to do it. i don't believe the OP is treating it as a charity. the OP didn't sound impossible to please either. i never got that impression from him. he sounds reasonable. i addressed the so-called "fuel surcharge" when diesel is lower than it's been in years. fuel surcharges, whether in the airline business, transportation business or fishing business occur when fuel prices are unusually high, not when they're low, and are temporary. some of these boats have continued taxing their passengers regardless of the lower diesel prices. and if you wanna argue that they're traveling 100 miles offshore to the tanner, when did landings ever advertise their trips only go a certain number of miles and not further? exactly, never. boat crews are expected to work hard. that's what some of you pay them a ton of money to do. so if you wanna claim charity, maybe you should direct that at someone other than the paying customer.

Reactions: MarktheShark56

DEGBTI

Feb 5, 2013
el cajon, ca
Name
dennis
Boat
204 Angler CC
I have a question, when you go out and find fish close to home and drift it all day for limits, do you get back" unburned fuel money" when you get back at the dock?

Reactions: mike82

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
I have a question, when you go out and find fish close to home and drift it all day for limits, do you get back" unburned fuel money" when you get back at the dock?
LIKELY NO...however, close to home fishing is usually "run and gun" chasing
schools of tuna, yellowtail, under birds, jumpers, meter marks...lots of trolling
looking and trying to find fish. Also looking/stopping on kelp paddies all over.
The outer banks off SCI,;like Desperation Reef and Banks like the Tanner,
Cortez...are usually drift fishing because of strong currents. They're 60-80
miles so more fuel for good reason. Inshore as shown above, you may spend
as much or more fuel chasing fish all day. Getting fuel $ back not the norm. FYI

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
I LOVE IT!!

shyliner626

TOADSTOADSONLY
Dec 6, 2005
Newport Beach
www.facebook.com
Name
Jonathan
Boat
Trophy Pro 2302WA , Hobie Pro Angler 12
This has been a weird season for everyone, earlier this season with the run and gun style fishing most boats were struggling to keep any decent tuna counts. The Pride/Aztec for the past couple months have been putting up one of the best counts in the fleet if you factor in the amount of anglers to fish landed. They run a great operation and in my opinion one of the best boats in the overnight-two day fleet. A month and a half ago we were fishing the kite and balloon they did not charge not one person for the kite, helium balloon, or the rigs. I believed we ended up with 28BFT and 9YFT on that trip for about 60+ hookups a lot of the fish were hooked on the Balloon Rig. Captain Greg even rigged up the boat with Okuma Makiras and Pheonix Rod anglers could use for free. Tell me what other boats on the fleet does this for their anglers?

Last edited:

Mickdick

Nov 9, 2014
Thousand Oaks
Name
Jason
Boat
Parker 2310
you're their favorite type of customer. they wish they had 40 of you on every trip.
Not sure you get what I mean there friend. Fishing is a huge investment, as I'm sure you're well aware of with your "fish killing center console" and the expenses related to boat ownership( purchase,maintenance,insurance etc). Add to that the ongoing investments in gear ,fuel, tackle etc all back up my statement that indeed $30 is nothing in the fishing game. Tight lines brother!