Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat Name
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Has anybody had occasion to purchase one or two of these at Fisherman’s Landing or Seaforth Landing?
Just wondering about how they make them, what they’re made of, and the price. Thanks

Upvote 0

998R

May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat Name
Blue Monkey, BM2
Search button on leaders to knife&flatfall leaders and rigging. But you should call and ask them if purchasing at location.

Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
Torrance, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat Name
none
Has anybody had occasion to purchase one or two of these at Fisherman’s Landing or Seaforth Landing?
Just wondering about how they make them, what they’re made of, and the price. Thanks

they are probably about 10.00 each point loma’s were 10 each. didnt see what fishermans was selling.

we had a group of 10 people go this week (rough fishing = 23 caught 6 bft ( 5 by our group = 85 to 150lbs).

A couple from our group had to buy a leader because they didnt speak up when I asked as I pre-made them for everyone prior to trip. pictures are what I made (200lb mono, 440lb swivel, owner ring, izor crimp, izor sleeves (like better than springs)

point loma sold them with a cheaper barrel swivel and a crimped solid ring which means you had to run a split ring off the lure to connect the solid ring. I crimped a split ring to connect direct to the lure. Not sure if either is better but both worked.

I looked at how everyone rigged and almost every rigging was different somehow.

2F52322B-E6CB-41C7-B25B-66C3A4C10367.jpeg

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat Name
they are probably about 10.00 each point loma’s were 10 each. didnt see what fishermans was selling.

we had a group of 10 people go this week (rough fishing = 23 caught 6 bft ( 5 by our group = 85 to 150lbs).

A couple from our group had to buy a leader because they didnt speak up when I asked as I pre-made them for everyone prior to trip. pictures are what I made (200lb mono, 440lb swivel, owner ring, izor crimp, izor sleeves (like better than springs)

point loma sold them with a cheaper barrel swivel and a crimped solid ring which means you had to run a split ring off the lure to connect the solid ring. I crimped a split ring to connect direct to the lure. Not sure if either is better but both worked.

I looked at how everyone rigged and almost every rigging was different somehow.

View attachment 1385580
Thanks for that. I’m with you, no two anglers seem to rig up the same way.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat Name
I’ve gotten three made at two different landings this year, and last. $17 and $19
Thanks, reasonable price for getting them at the landing. The one’s I’m making are going to use Magnum Ring and Grommet on the bottom with a 250# Split Ring to attach to the jig. Then buyer’s choice for the top, another Ring and Grommet or a heavy duty Ball Bearing Swivel.

All I really want to do is cover my costs and have a few left for myself and a few friends I might encounter on my next trips. Pretty sure we’ll be getting after them on my July trips, 4 day and 3 day.

Last edited:
Reactions: solid72 and RichG
Upvote 0

andrewr

Almost A Member
Aug 24, 2006
Los Angeles
Name
Andrew
Boat Name
None
What knot should you use on heavy line?

Doesn't the sleeve provide added protection or do you only need the added protection because of the crimp and not necessary when you tie a knot?

Upvote 0

Cheese Burt

Almost A Member
Jun 8, 2021
San Diego
Name
Charlie Cohen
Boat Name
Who ever will take me out
The ones at FL are 200lb floro with jinkai crimps with crimp protector to a #9 owner hyper wire split ring on one end and on the other a 200+lb ball bearing swivel.

Reactions: Cubeye and Steve K
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The only reason people are using crimped leaders is because the don't know how to tie a knot with heavy leaders.
    Well, perhaps. But I know how to tie good knots in heavy line, and I also know that ANY knot in heavy line is a weaker connection than a properly executed double crimp, which is what I use. And it's faster once you have the proper crimps and crimping tool.

Upvote 0

Dbado1

Almost A Member
  • Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat Name
    Toyota tundra
    With all due respect, Surfgoose, many would disagree with you. You did state "properly" crimped so no disagreement there. There is a lot that goes in to "proper" crimping that many just don't do. Regardless, a guy still needs to know how to tie a "proper" knot in heavy line. Personally, I prefer the tripled through the eye Spangler ( different than a Springer).

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

huntconrad

Apr 3, 2020
    Nor CAl
    Name
    Hunt Conrad
    Boat Name
    22 foot whitewater jetcraft
    How important is it to have a swivel attached to the bottom Jobu hook when you have a swivel at the top of the leader?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    How important is it to have a swivel attached to the bottom Jobu hook when you have a swivel at the top of the leader?
    Good question!

Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat Name
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    $17.95 at Fisherman's landing. I know they use 200lb mono but not sure on the crimp, swivel or split ring. By looking at it my educated guess would be they use a size 9 ultra split ring

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    A good strong swivel attached to a bottom hook on a lure doesn't affect the action of the lure in any way, but makes it almost impossible for a fish to use the lure as a lever to throw the hook. The top of the leader swivel is all about reducing line twist.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Any Boat that I can go on
    What knot should you use on heavy line?

Doesn't the sleeve provide added protection or do you only need the added protection because of the crimp and not necessary when you tie a knot?
    I use a 3 or 4 turn uni knot for my 150-200 lb bft leaders and tie an FG to main line on other end. I do not crimp my BFT leaders(though you can and of course it works too)
    I use the uni knot for every single connection to hook or lure knot or even when I tie braid directly to kite leaders.
    Forgot how to even tie a san diego knot as I have no use for it anymore...

Reactions: lastcast619
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    Speaking of swivels, size, strength… I’m trying to figure out which one of these is the stronger one. I really don’t know why I’m twitching about it, other than I’m building a leader for a friend, don’t want to let him down. And, I was just looking at the swivel I used a few years ago on a chunk leader that I used on a Yellowfin that went 195#.
    F4C91E36-439E-47DE-85AD-A22EF0B52A42.jpeg

Upvote 0