BLUEFIN JIG SET UP

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat Name
LONG RANGE fishing
I am going on a 10 day trip this Fall. I would imagine that if the Bluefin are still biting, we may ( I really don't want to) make a stop for a day or two to fish Bluefin. I want to be prepared if we do, so how are you setting up your knife jigs to fish for Bluefin at night and during the day? I have knife jigs from 300-500 gr. and some 250gr. flatfalls. I am taking off the stock hooks and split rings and replacing then with owner hyper wire split rings sizes 8-10. I have also purchase some name brand assist hooks. My question is what size hooks should I be using on the jigs and I am planning to put a single hook on the rear of the jig. Any recommendations and Pictures would sure help me to do the set ups.

Reactions: Russ Scholl

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat Name
Kayaks
I am going on a 10 day trip this Fall. I would imagine that if the Bluefin are still biting, we may ( I really don't want to) make a stop for a day or two to fish Bluefin. I want to be prepared if we do, so how are you setting up your knife jigs to fish for Bluefin at night and during the day? I have knife jigs from 300-500 gr. and some 250gr. flatfalls. I am taking off the stock hooks and split rings and replacing then with owner hyper wire split rings sizes 8-10. I have also purchase some name brand assist hooks. My question is what size hooks should I be using on the jigs and I am planning to put a single hook on the rear of the jig. Any recommendations and Pictures would sure help me to do the set ups.

Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat Name
Kayaks
Fyermn,read the 2 threads:1-Chafing tubing vs.springs on leaders.
2-What to bring 1.5 day Ocaen Odeyssey june23.
Outstanding info on both. Both are recent threads.
The jig rig in my post on the chafing thread has a 5/0 Owner 66 treble at the bottom and a Mustad 7/0 Jigging Assist hook at the top. The split ring on the Quick Rig Sea Bouy 300 lb.. swivel is an Owner Hyperwire size 9 split ring. Actually I usually use that split ring if there are no hooks on the jig itself. Since there is a hook on the bottom I will probably change it to an Owner Ultra split ring size 9.
On the top I most often so far use Owner Monster assist hooks in either 7/0 or 9/0 standard length. They come in short length as well. You want your assist hook to be about 1/3 the length of the jig. As for the hook size for tuna 7/0 or 9/0 works. All of this comes with the caveat that I am a beginning tuna jigger.😁

Last edited:
Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat Name
Long range fishing
Indy Nov. 11-21.
I am on the trip before you and the one after yours.

Stan Vanderburg- LIMITED-LOAD
11 Day .... 10-31-2022... Fri. 11-11-2022
..................................................................................
THANKSGIVING CLASSIC, BOB SAND'S TACKLE-OPEN
11 Day.... 11-25-2022.... 12-6-2022
...................................................................................................................
Don't really get into Bluefin on these longer trips. Wahoo-Tuna and Yellowtail. But you never know. I pack my bluefin stuff but keep it upstairs as a last resort.

Reactions: 4tunate
Upvote 0

egarratt

• Aug 11, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Eddie G
    Boat Name
    None
    Just bring your stuff and rig it on the boat. You can always google "BFT San Diego Rigging and select video and at least 10 You Tube videos will appear.

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    LONG RANGE fishing
    I am on the trip before you and the one after yours.

Stan Vanderburg- LIMITED-LOAD
    11 Day .... 10-31-2022... Fri. 11-11-2022
    ..................................................................................
    THANKSGIVING CLASSIC, BOB SAND'S TACKLE-OPEN
    11 Day.... 11-25-2022.... 12-6-2022
    ...................................................................................................................
    Don't really get into Bluefin on these longer trips. Wahoo-Tuna and Yellowtail. But you never know. I pack my bluefin stuff but keep it upstairs as a last resort.
    Soda; I have the time, just not the money. I will see you at both ends of my trip. Have a great time as I know you always do.

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
    Aug 17, 2017
    Califonia
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Shogun
    Picture is how I rig for night. During the day I direct tie 80-100lb flouro to the jig. Make the daytime more sano. Hooks are jig size dependent. I’d say 5/0 to 9/0 again size and night or day. On some jigs I put a 5x treble on the lower in place of the single.
    Regards
    Scott

3C13D11B-1F95-433B-B186-85299BF96424.jpeg

Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
    Tuscaloosa
    Name
    Russ Scholl
    Boat Name
    Kayaks
    Picture is how I rig for night. During the day I direct tie 80-100lb flouro to the jig. Make the daytime more sano. Hooks are jig size dependent. I’d say 5/0 to 9/0 again size and night or day. On some jigs I put a 5x treble on the lower in place of the single.
    Regards
    Scott

View attachment 1397283
    Scott being one of those very informative posters.

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    I am a fan of the 5/0 4X or 5X treble hooks on the bottom.

300lb bite leaders and assist hooks at night.

During daylight no 300lb bite leader, 100lb flouro instead with no assist hooks. Touchier jig bite during daylight compared to night.

Recent 3 day trip accounted for 4 100lb BFT at night on the pictured 300 GR Rip Roller and each of the three jigs below accounted for 100 pound BFT during the day...

IMG_5283.jpg
    IMG_5322.jpg
    IMG_5328.jpg

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat Name
    NA
    The mustad 7/0 assist hooks have the same gap and wire as most 11/0 hooks ( I just measured it this week). They are hard to find though. Those have been the most popular and is in most of the pictures above.

Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Aug 17, 2017
    Califonia
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Shogun
    The mustad 7/0 assist hooks have the same gap and wire as most 11/0 hooks ( I just measured it this week). They are hard to find though. Those have been the most popular and is in most of the pictures above.
    Try Sam at Island Tackle.
    Regards
    Scott

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    When I use a single hook on the bottom I go with Owner Offshore J hooks in 10/0 with an offset point. Thick wire on those hooks making using a split ring difficult. Better at times to use a welded ring instead.

In terms of assist hooks, the Mustad versions are by far the best option so spend the extra dollar. Last trip I saw two different types of assist hooks straighten out that were not the Mustad assist hooks...

!cid_03AC7771-57DA-4B1E-9FEF-CA0786126A59.jpg
    !cid_0F857821-1111-4E06-86E3-575489BF0D0B.jpg

Reactions: DesotoBound
    Upvote 0

AlwaysHookedUp

Almost A Member
    Jun 13, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    J
    Boat Name
    Center Console
    Regards
    Scott

View attachment 1397283
    Curious why you crimp on to split ring instead of solid ring attached to hook.

Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Aug 17, 2017
    Califonia
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Shogun
    Curious why you crimp on to split ring instead of solid ring attached to hook.
    It allows me to change both jig and or hook to different sizes and styles without a complete rerig. Bigger jig different color hook mangled after a fish etc. that ring is also a part of the hook it has a oblong shape not circular. I think that the load on the crimp part of the line is less even with a split ring. Zero failures this far up to a super. I feel confident in this and alows me to adjust to changing conditions really quick.
    Regards
    Scott

Upvote 0

SteveD

Gambler
  • Nov 28, 2005
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    never again
    Scott,

Owner #9 solid ring (900 lb) to 300 lb Pitbull split ring and Mustad assist hook to solid ring. This rig let's me change out my jig in seconds (have way too many with and without hooks on the bottom). This one time use of this Mustad Moonriser only had the hook on the top and no issue here on this 175 lb'er. And I like a big treble on the bottom as well in most applications. Shogun 3 day in early May

2ECF75C3-37FC-48F9-9185-5A5550330B87.jpeg

7E152C27-9D03-4CFB-B602-238172511DBB.jpeg

Upvote 0

SteveD

Gambler
  • Nov 28, 2005
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    never again
    and no crimping or guards for me, just 3 or 4 turn SD knot with 200 lb pink Seaguar fluoro AND heavy BALL BEARING swivel at the top of my bite leader...no barrel swivels for me for numerous reasons

Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Aug 17, 2017
    Califonia
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Shogun
    I saw that one. Nice job. Are you sure you didn’t back over that jig with a truck?
    Sounds like we are pretty close to same rigging.
    Regards
    Scott

Upvote 0

SteveD

Gambler
  • Nov 28, 2005
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    never again
    mustad jigs are super soft but not sure how it bent like that…maybe the gaff. Jig was new and first drop after losing another big one on my previous drop as that fish went shallow straight under the boat and sawed my brand new $50 Sea Falcon Deep Neo 320 off

Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Aug 17, 2017
    Califonia
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Shogun
    mustad jigs are super soft but not sure how it bent like that…maybe the gaff. Jig was new and first drop after losing another big one on my previous drop as that fish went shallow straight under the boat and sawed my brand new $50 Sea Falcon Deep Neo 320 off
    Sounds like you and I had a similar trip. Got a good one and lost one that freighttrained under the boat. Fun stuff man.
    Scott

Upvote 0

sab35263

• Aug 26, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Shadi
    Boat Name
    TailChaser
    I am a fan of the 5/0 4X or 5X treble hooks on the bottom.

300lb bite leaders and assist hooks at night.

During daylight no 300lb bite leader, 100lb flouro instead with no assist hooks. Touchier jig bite during daylight compared to night.

Recent 3 day trip accounted for 4 100lb BFT at night on the pictured 300 GR Rip Roller and each of the three jigs below accounted for 100 pound BFT during the day...

View attachment 1397291View attachment 1397292View attachment 1397293
    Which split ring pliers are you using?

Upvote 0