Offshore Bluefin close by

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Same exact thing happened to me at Prom night back in High School. Everyone was on the dance floor, following the herd, but I went my own way, more West as well...I found her in the hallway, away from the fleet. Chased her all over the school. Nearly had her half dozen times. She broke my heart in half. Kept at it with my two buddies taking turns...all three of us were exhausted with her attitude. Just as I thought I might score...she pulled the Circle Hook attitude and I watched as she slid back into the crowd, quietly. I always wondered what happened to her. Anyways, we threw the trollers out on the way back to the punch bowl and hooked a couple sophomores to round out the night. Good table fair. Great times!!
Tight Jeans fellas!
🤣🤣🤣😎

Upvote 0

Professor

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
Ignore the douches. Your out there learning. Great adventure. They just don't all end with a fish in the boat. Thanks for the post

Upvote 0

CURVEFINDER

If they be Biten Go Get M
Aug 23, 2006
PALM DESERT
Name
TOM
Boat
21 GRADY WHITE
Your report makes me feel like I was on your boat the whole time because I’ve been in the exact same spot you were in my story almost identical to yours but only an hour and 45 minutes and the leader broke because of the Tuna‘s tale and we lost 180 pound fish so I know the feeling but it’s still all good I’m still after my Tuna I know he’s swimming around with the hook In his lip I just want my hook back
my daughter film the whole thing on go Pro video every time I watch it I feel the pain mental that is I think we lost our fish because we were already talking about cutting them up for Sashimi before he ever hit the deck

Reactions: blubby07
Upvote 0

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
That fish wanted to live, you gotta respect that, makes landing one that much sweeter.

Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
Oceanside Ca
Name
Josh
Boat
2320 Parker
Your report makes me feel like I was on your boat the whole time because I’ve been in the exact same spot you were in my story almost identical to yours but only an hour and 45 minutes and the leader broke because of the Tuna‘s tale and we lost 180 pound fish so I know the feeling but it’s still all good I’m still after my Tuna I know he’s swimming around with the hook In his lip I just want my hook back
my daughter film the whole thing on go Pro video every time I watch it I feel the pain mental that is I think we lost our fish because we were already talking about cutting them up for Sashimi before he ever hit the
That fish wanted to live, you gotta respect that, makes landing one that much sweeter.
Couldn’t agree more but hey we got a few here’s one decent fish
We felt blessed for what we got
DE1867CE-FA90-4547-AA45-3925D8323AA9.jpeg
ADB6A82C-D3A0-48BC-8E45-709D23493E0D.jpeg
1784B568-51AF-44A4-8F7C-A68014FF7040.jpeg
B2B48BE2-C1AC-4211-A63F-9CBB3F2776BD.jpeg

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
***Plot Twist***
Drag at Strike set to 7 pounds
I'd hate to think Blubby's drag was set to 7lbs. but i've seen it more often that not, many fishermen simply dont know how to set the drag with a spring scale. If the weakest line on the reel is 80lb test then i'd hope your drag was set to at least 20lb but more like 24-25lb of drag. On stand up gear with lugs on a back brace, 25lb of drag is enough to pull someone in that isn't prepared.

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Heartbreaker that you lost that fish, but it keeps us coming back for more. Look at it this way, you had a better day than 90% of the people on this site reading from their computer.

Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
Great experience. Good for you guys. I had one like that a few years ago. We lost it after 3 1/2 hours. I/we have caught a bunch since that, but this is the one I think about when I put my head on the pillow at night. WHo knows how big it was. It really doesn't matter. The memories are worth everything. I have never had so much fun not catching a fish!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
Don't listen to that prick, he thinks his shit doesn't stink
No need for name calling man !!!! It just shows what kind of person you are and yes my shit is as stinky as anyone else. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
Apr 18, 2014
Open Ocean
Name
BajaLifeStyle
Boat
Parker 21
No need for name calling man !!!! It just shows what kind of person you are and yes my shit is as stinky as anyone else. I hope you have a wonderful day.

You must be really getting mustered up editing all your posts at 1 AM and finally reply to me about calling you a prick.

You're a class act that has been around here acting how good you think you are and you come here judging how others do on their fish. Not cool.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Thanks for the report! Sometimes the stories are better than the ones that make it on the deck. At least for you and your buddies you will be talking about that one for along time.

Upvote 0

svue

• Sep 7, 2004
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Vue
    Boat
    Everglade 290
    Heartbreak for sure. some tuna are just devil fish. We once hooked a 285 on 65lb leaders/talica 16 and had it gaffed within the hour and then hooked a 225 on the kite rod 400lb leader, talica 50 and it kicked our ass, 2 hours in before getting stuck. We thought for sure we had a 400+ pound fish.
    My advice is always crank hard on the fish, bluefin tuna will always settle after a few runs and then it's just cranking the inches. you would not believe how hard you can pull on 80lbs before it parts.

Upvote 0
    Jan 7, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    DTS
    Boat
    Boatless
    Headed off shore to fish that area off ensenada found the fleet around 3am wasn’t marking anything so headed inside.
    we start finding paddys pull a couple ytail then land a nice blue fin maybe 40-45 lbs so we drop a torpedo rubber band on 80 wind on 135 spectra we’re bit we’re tight and line is dumping like I’ve never seen before.
    we’re gonna get spoiled with the drag buttoned!
    We chase the fish gaining line this happens over and over again for 5 hours!
    The fish tries everything he come up on surface and rolls we see the submarine but we’re still tight!
    Finally he the fish and we are just exhausted 3 men taking turns well old fat guys.
    We see leader we see the rubber band we see the biggest bluefin I’ve ever seen personally he’s coming up one more death circle 1 foot from gaff we’ve done everything right it’s time!!!!
    The cal star snaps in half under the immense pressure but wait he’s still there I pull on the leader and with the last ounce of strength left he shakes the hook!
    What a fight, I’ve never seen anything like it. I’ve never seen a bluefin so pale so tired just barely able to tail pump down and out of sight.
    This fish we realized pulled us to about 6-8 huge barn doors over 5 miles he was taking us to his restraunts he knew where they were.
    and when he did take us there we were marking massive fish the finder was blowing up.
    we toss a scoop over and 300 lb fish blow up on it.
    All of this way inside from where the fleet was fishing not a single boat the entire time.
    when I think of this fish I woulda loved to have landed him.
    But inside I kinda chuckle he won we took the gloves off and he won he tried everything going under the boat dozens of times nope turn the wheel clockwise and crush reverse we’re clear over and over again.
    Someone said u shoulda speared him from the boat with your spear gun!
    We keep one on the boat I said no way man I’m not punking this fish we either land him fair and square or we don’t.
    good for him he lives another day I hope he lives and didn’t die he was so tired.
    I will post some pics and exact numbers we were looking at land and the nados the entire time.
    so we head home and I say put out the cedar plugs a mile back and we’re rewarded with a nice little 20 and 30 lb bluefin.
    what a day with good friends.
    I’m trying to upload video and pics and it says to large to upload?!?

View attachment 1287854

View attachment 1287855View attachment 1287860
    X2 what bouttime said. It's nice when you have a strong big circle hook in the rear corner of the jaw, but that isn't always where you are connected. Your gear was fine, your effort was massive, sometimes the fish wins the fight. That's just the way it is. And I think that knowing that it isn't over until it's OVER is part of the reason that offshore fishing is a lifelong obsession. You did very well, and the memory will last a lifetime. Happy dreams.
    Right I hooked a guesstimated 150 pounder a few years back on 40 had it to color like 3 times. After 3 hours fish finally straightened out my hook at gaff. Even though I have caught multiple fish now over 200 on the right gear that story always comes up Amongst my good fishing buddies and hunt’s me to this day. Sounds like a fun trip I’m sure your story will come up a time or two lol.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Great story and that’s all that matters. Sometimes fishing is all about the adventure. I know I remember the ones that get away as much and sometimes more than the ones lifted onto the boat. Thanks for the report.

Reactions: esgeo
    Upvote 0