Offshore Bluefin close by

PENN

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
Oceanside Ca
Name
Josh
Boat
21 Parker cc , and 2556 cierra yes its a bayliner (The Dude Man)
Headed off shore to fish that area off ensenada found the fleet around 3am wasn’t marking anything so headed inside.
we start finding paddys pull a couple ytail then land a nice blue fin maybe 40-45 lbs so we drop a torpedo rubber band on 80 wind on 135 spectra we’re bit we’re tight and line is dumping like I’ve never seen before.
we’re gonna get spoiled with the drag buttoned!
We chase the fish gaining line this happens over and over again for 5 hours!
The fish tries everything he come up on surface and rolls we see the submarine but we’re still tight!
Finally he the fish and we are just exhausted 3 men taking turns well old fat guys.
We see leader we see the rubber band we see the biggest bluefin I’ve ever seen personally he’s coming up one more death circle 1 foot from gaff we’ve done everything right it’s time!!!!
The cal star snaps in half under the immense pressure but wait he’s still there I pull on the leader and with the last ounce of strength left he shakes the hook!
What a fight, I’ve never seen anything like it. I’ve never seen a bluefin so pale so tired just barely able to tail pump down and out of sight.
This fish we realized pulled us to about 6-8 huge barn doors over 5 miles he was taking us to his restraunts he knew where they were.
and when he did take us there we were marking massive fish the finder was blowing up.
we toss a scoop over and 300 lb fish blow up on it.
All of this way inside from where the fleet was fishing not a single boat the entire time.
when I think of this fish I woulda loved to have landed him.
But inside I kinda chuckle he won we took the gloves off and he won he tried everything going under the boat dozens of times nope turn the wheel clockwise and crush reverse we’re clear over and over again.
Someone said u shoulda speared him from the boat with your spear gun!
We keep one on the boat I said no way man I’m not punking this fish we either land him fair and square or we don’t.
good for him he lives another day I hope he lives and didn’t die he was so tired.
I will post some pics and exact numbers we were looking at land and the nados the entire time.
so we head home and I say put out the cedar plugs a mile back and we’re rewarded with a nice little 20 and 30 lb bluefin.
what a day with good friends.
I’m trying to upload video and pics and it says to large to upload?!?

E8DEB5DC-6BC0-4ACB-957C-2184947DAC2C.jpeg

5645AF11-0186-4A1F-8C7F-4E9D83592BE1.jpeg
9D68C8CE-3676-408E-ACCF-3EC8F7694864.jpeg

Last edited:
Artois
Artois
Sometimes a draw is best, that's close enough to say catch and release, you get to live with a great memory and the fish lives to make babies
A won win
Upvote 0

Cole418

Almost A Member
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 - "Reel Busy"
    Great post man! We were out yesterday too... similar to you without the bluefin in deck haha. The bluefin we found didn’t want to bite for us

Reactions: Otto and blubby07
    Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    Actually I think we were heading out next to each other Sunday night I was the Parker off your starboard sorry to hear you couldn't find the bluefin
    sorry was not meant as a put down, the longer it takes the more chance of losing the fish. You either under gun or not using the right gear for these big girls.

No Sir, I did not go out on last Sunday, I only went out one trip so far this year which was last Wednesday but thank you for the report and I hope you kill them next time with beefier set up because these BF are no joke.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
    Oceanside Ca
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    sorry was not meant as a put down, the long it takes the more chance of losing the fish. You either under gun or not using the right gear for these big girls.

No, I did not go out on Sunday, only one trip so far this year.
    well I guess 80 floro is undergunned what would you suggest?

Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    well I guess 80 floro is undergunned what would you suggest?
    what rod, reel and drag setting did you use. I caught 160# last week on 80# flouro and took 15 minutes to bring it. My set up was Penn VISX 20, Seeker OSP 2x4, preset drag with a scale at 25#.

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
    Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
    Team Humble Brag has entered the chat......

Way to go man, some fish stories are better than dead fish counts and season stats. You have an awesome story to tell along with fish in the bag. You'll get 'em next time and that fish will be more important to you than a hundred fish that some rich dude catches with fancy gear and 150 weekdays on the water.

Great report!

Tuna-Sniper
    Tuna-Sniper
    No worries, just block me so you will not see future reports 😀 and No, I am not rich, I fish one time per week from May to November, not 150 days. I hope you have a nice day.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
    Oceanside Ca
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    what rod, reel and drag setting did you use. I caught 160# last week on 80# flouro and took 15 minutes to bring it. My set up was Penn VISX 20, Seeker OSP 2x4, preset drag with a scale at 25#.
    VSX 12 loaded with 135 80 lb wind on leader.
    cal star rod I’m gonna have to see what model.
    drag was set right so much tension it snapped a stout rod.
    If I can learn I’m up to suggestions I have no idea how big this fish was but I’ve caught 100 plus and this wasn’t even close

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    Sounds like a trip to remember and could very well have been a 300+. Fishing 80 with a VISX 12 is a great rig but I’d call that undergunned for a super. But you just never know what you’re going to hook.

Reactions: blubby07
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Headed off shore to fish that area off ensenada found the fleet around 3am wasn’t marking anything so headed inside.
    we start finding paddys pull a couple ytail then land a nice blue fin maybe 40-45 lbs so we drop a torpedo rubber band on 80 wind on 135 spectra we’re bit we’re tight and line is dumping like I’ve never seen before.
    we’re gonna get spoiled with the drag buttoned!
    We chase the fish gaining line this happens over and over again for 5 hours!
    The fish tries everything he come up on surface and rolls we see the submarine but we’re still tight!
    Finally he the fish and we are just exhausted 3 men taking turns well old fat guys.
    We see leader we see the rubber band we see the biggest bluefin I’ve ever seen personally he’s coming up one more death circle 1 foot from gaff we’ve done everything right it’s time!!!!
    The cal star snaps in half under the immense pressure but wait he’s still there I pull on the leader and with the last ounce of strength left he shakes the hook!
    What a fight, I’ve never seen anything like it. I’ve never seen a bluefin so pale so tired just barely able to tail pump down and out of sight.
    This fish we realized pulled us to about 6-8 huge barn doors over 5 miles he was taking us to his restraunts he knew where they were.
    and when he did take us there we were marking massive fish the finder was blowing up.
    we toss a scoop over and 300 lb fish blow up on it.
    All of this way inside from where the fleet was fishing not a single boat the entire time.
    when I think of this fish I woulda loved to have landed him.
    But inside I kinda chuckle he won we took the gloves off and he won he tried everything going under the boat dozens of times nope turn the wheel clockwise and crush reverse we’re clear over and over again.
    Someone said u shoulda speared him from the boat with your spear gun!
    We keep one on the boat I said no way man I’m not punking this fish we either land him fair and square or we don’t.
    good for him he lives another day I hope he lives and didn’t die he was so tired.
    I will post some pics and exact numbers we were looking at land and the nados the entire time.
    so we head home and I say put out the cedar plugs a mile back and we’re rewarded with a nice little 20 and 30 lb bluefin.
    what a day with good friends.
    I’m trying to upload video and pics and it says to large to upload?!?

View attachment 1287854

View attachment 1287855View attachment 1287860

But not quite. What a heart breaker.

Reactions: blubby07
    Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
    Oceanside Ca
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Sounds like a trip to remember and could very well have been a 300+. Fishing 80 with a VISX 12 is a great rig but I’d call that undergunned for a super. But you just never know what you’re going to hook.
    Yah so true I’m gettin a 50 talica for these times. Looking back I wish I had a bigger rig but line capacity wasn’t the problem and I don’t know how much more pressure I could put on the fish.
    the line was like a piano wire when u touch it.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    X2 what bouttime said. It's nice when you have a strong big circle hook in the rear corner of the jaw, but that isn't always where you are connected. Your gear was fine, your effort was massive, sometimes the fish wins the fight. That's just the way it is. And I think that knowing that it isn't over until it's OVER is part of the reason that offshore fishing is a lifelong obsession. You did very well, and the memory will last a lifetime. Happy dreams.

Upvote 0