Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
speaking of boat issues. we lost our ability to turn left... sort of. i clearly have air in my hydraulic steering system that's not noticeable at idle speed. under power and the force of the water on the lower unit the wheel spins in circles to the left and takes FOREVER to eventually turn the boat. what a pain in the ass being offshore and you can't turn left. but we made it work and now we have fresh BFT.
Not necessarily air in the system. Could be bad pumps/sticky valves in your helm. A good way to know if there is air in your system is to grab your motor and try to turn it. The steering piston should not move more than say 1/4”.

Upvote 0

Hophead

When’s the next trip
Jun 26, 2004
san diego
Name
ryan
Boat
22’ Seaway
Congrats on being in the right place at the right time. When they want to die, it’s incredible fishing. When they don’t, it can be frustrating as hell. But IMO, do not resort to running over the fish. Not here to beat up the guy posting.

Reactions: Si Como No
Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
I love everything about this post except the suggestion to run over them.

Can't tell if that was sarcasm or legit tactics, because everyone who's been out has reported how boat shy these bluefin have been. My experience included.
No no no no no. NOBODY said run OVER them. We drove right up NEXT to them. LMAO! You've never heard the phrase "run right up on them"? I can't stop laughing picturing us driving right through foamers, chopping them up in the prop.😄 After the first couple of foamers we started getting right next to them. Some stayed up for a looooong time.

Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
Not necessarily air in the system. Could be bad pumps/sticky valves in your helm. A good way to know if there is air in your system is to grab your motor and try to turn it. The steering piston should not move more than say 1/4”.
thanks. i'll try that. what if the piston moves more than that? what does that mean? that there's air?

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Highly unlikely its air in the system . If you are not leaking fluid its the helm . If you have autopilot , add that pump to the suspects . Imo

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
No no no no no. NOBODY said run OVER them. We drove right up NEXT to them. LMAO! You've never heard the phrase "run right up on them"? I can't stop laughing picturing us driving right through foamers, chopping them up in the prop.😄 After the first couple of foamers we started getting right next to them. Some stayed up for a looooong time.
A few years ago, we got an open water yellowtail all by himself. Inter we got the fish in the boat, a bluefin foamer happened upon us, under my boat then to the side then buck under the boat. Not geared for them, it was cool to watch.

Reactions: mike82
Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
so i made an appt for thursday to have it fixed. when i described the issue to the mechanic he said it sounds like a sticky valve in the helm. YOU WIN!!! BFT for a year!!! thanks for the heads up to other possibilities.

Upvote 0