Offshore Bluefin Bite Continues in epic fashion...( 5/27 and 5/29)

PENN

Fishingguy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 15, 2007
Orange County
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker
The Bluefin Tuna bite continues…just epic… (5/27 and 5-29)

Decided to run offshore on Friday in search of some more bluefin. Plan was not to over think things and just go fishing. Ended up metering some fish early outside Coronado islands en route to 425. Heard there was fish from hidden, 302, 371, and 425. Started seeing some activity on surface around 11am and figured I should follow the rule of "dont leave fish to find fish." Im not sure how to enter pics in the middle of my post from phone…so hopefully the pics will follow in chronological order below. I would see them cross the meter from 40 feet to 120 feet ish…. Started to slow troll some mac on 50lb fluoro way back on a talica 12 and were rewarded within 5 minutes….. First one hits the deck and we are relieved of getting the skunk off. Ended up just rinsing and repeat until the bite slowed….

As the afternoon progressed, we ventured off a little south of the islands and saw breaking fish in every direction. We fished surface irons, poppers, colts, flat fall etc… but only got a few and lost a bunch. All worked but we didnt find someitng that worked better than another. Either way…stoked for a great day of fishing and plenty of tuna to be had. Exciting to see them blow up on irons n poppers.

My dad wanted to go fishing on Sunday, so we braved the crowds and said why not…. stuck with the same strategy and it paid off again. The volume of fish we saw were amazing. Im sure theres enough to be had for everyone and thats why i write these reports. At the end of the day, it was all about my dad. The man who introduced me into this sport almost 30 years ago. He was all smiles from cheek to cheek. This is what fishing is all about. Creating priceless memories with the ones you care about. Can't wait till my son gets older to show him the ways.

Cant believe its only May… Had an amazing past 2 months catching so many of this jumbo grade bluefin… Maybe 3-4 in the 80's and the rest 50-70 but would like to catch a triple digit one day.

Of course, the foods i made with this were some simple sushi rolls, sashimi and poke bowls. Ill share a recipe with you for the poke:

I call my recipes "mancipes" which consist of 5 ingredients or less. For poke, you just need 4:

1. soy sauce
2. spicy sesame oil
3. roasted sesame seeds
4. cut green onions.

For every pound of tuna use: 5 table spoons of soy sauce, and 4 tablespoons of sesame oil (or to taste) Sprinkle sesame seeds and green onions……and thats it. Wish i could tell you its harder but its not.

Well…thanks for reading. All in all…. its a great time to go fishing. Putting new people on these fish has been absolutely priceless. Cant wait to see what the next few weeks will bring.

Tight lines….
(All my photos didn't load, so I'll try again) for some reason, it's saying "photo too large" yet all the pics are taken from my phone ? Anyone know how to fix this without having to download my pics and resize?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Ripnsumlip

Hooooook upppppp!!!!
Jul 8, 2007
SoCal
Name
Paul
Boat
Edgewater 265CC
The Bluefin Tuna bite continues…just epic… (5/27 and 5-29)

Decided to run offshore on Friday in search of some more bluefin. Plan was not to over think things and just go fishing. Ended up metering some fish early outside Coronado islands en route to 425. Heard there was fish from hidden, 302, 371, and 425. Started seeing some activity on surface around 11am and figured I should follow the rule of "dont leave fish to find fish." Im not sure how to enter pics in the middle of my post from phone…so hopefully the pics will follow in chronological order below. I would see them cross the meter from 40 feet to 120 feet ish…. Started to slow troll some mac on 50lb fluoro way back on a talica 12 and were rewarded within 5 minutes….. First one hits the deck and we are relieved of getting the skunk off. Ended up just rinsing and repeat until the bite slowed….

As the afternoon progressed, we ventured off a little south of the islands and saw breaking fish in every direction. We fished surface irons, poppers, colts, flat fall etc… but only got a few and lost a bunch. All worked but we didnt find someitng that worked better than another. Either way…stoked for a great day of fishing and plenty of tuna to be had. Exciting to see them blow up on irons n poppers.

My dad wanted to go fishing on Sunday, so we braved the crowds and said why not…. stuck with the same strategy and it paid off again. The volume of fish we saw were amazing. Im sure theres enough to be had for everyone and thats why i write these reports. At the end of the day, it was all about my dad. The man who introduced me into this sport almost 30 years ago. He was all smiles from cheek to cheek. This is what fishing is all about. Creating priceless memories with the ones you care about. Can't wait till my son gets older to show him the ways.

Cant believe its only May… Had an amazing past 2 months catching so many of this jumbo grade bluefin… Maybe 3-4 in the 80's and the rest 50-70 but would like to catch a triple digit one day.

Of course, the foods i made with this were some simple sushi rolls, sashimi and poke bowls. Ill share a recipe with you for the poke:

I call my recipes "mancipes" which consist of 5 ingredients or less. For poke, you just need 4:

1. soy sauce
2. spicy sesame oil
3. roasted sesame seeds
4. cut green onions.

For every pound of tuna use: 5 table spoons of soy sauce, and 4 tablespoons of sesame oil (or to taste) Sprinkle sesame seeds and green onions……and thats it. Wish i could tell you its harder but its not.

Well…thanks for reading. All in all…. its a great time to go fishing. Putting new people on these fish has been absolutely priceless. Cant wait to see what the next few weeks will bring.

Tight lines….
(All my photos didn't load, so I'll try again) for some reason, it's saying "photo too large" yet all the pics are taken from my phone ? Anyone know how to fix this without having to download my pics and resize?

View attachment 765983 View attachment 765984 View attachment 765985 View attachment 765986 View attachment 765987 View attachment 765988 View attachment 765989 View attachment 765990 View attachment 765991 View attachment 765992 View attachment 765993 View attachment 765994 View attachment 765995 View attachment 765996 View attachment 765997 View attachment 765998 View attachment 765999

Amazing!! Good job Billy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hey Billy,

WOW!!!!!!!

I need to take notes from you... HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Memories of a life time.

Paul

Upvote 0

kimedquid

Nov 13, 2014
Name
kim
Boat
F21
Awesome fishing! Luck must be with you all the time. Where were you guys again? Do you think asmall boat can go there?

Upvote 0

1fishdude1

Almost A Member
Oct 8, 2008
San Diego
Name
fishdude
Boat
THE DUDE
Thats amazing, you are on fire Billy!!
Love the wright up, great report and great photos, thanks. I think Dads and Grand dads are the reason we ALL fish.
Hoping to go tomorrow and put some BFT on The Dude, still eluding me from my boat.
The Dude

Upvote 0

The Dr.

Almost A Member
May 5, 2015
Name
Kenji
Boat
Ranger 521VX
Kick ass! Awesome grade fish. And, the poke ans sushi look killer! My recipe is almost identical, I add a lil lemon zest on top for color and acid...

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Quote "Putting new people on these fish has been absolutely priceless."

What about putting us old farts on the fish? Ha! Ha! A wish'n and a hope'n! Fine job Billy!

Upvote 0

collector21

Time to fish.
Jul 10, 2011
Sun City Arizona
Name
Bill Achtenberg
Boat
Sea Jay-Trophy 2002 WA 97 New Merc 150 EFI 4 Stroke/14' Alumacraft
Great report and picts, especially the food and recipes, keep those coming.
thanks from the desert

Upvote 0