Fin Fan

Headless Tuna!
Mar 14, 2015
Mission Viejo, Mulege, bcs Mexico
Name
J
Boat
Vaya con Dios
What are they catching the bluefin on? I'm going to the Cortez Bank on Friday and could use the info. Troll, meter baits, colors? Let me know, you'll get a good report back.

J

carterantebi

I hate fishing
Oct 9, 2016
Coronado
Name
Carter
Boat
Grande!
Big bait on 30lb for <100lb fish and balloon rig for cows during the day. Once it gets dark the flatfall bite has been on fire.

Reactions: Fin Fan

Hermosa Pier

Aug 18, 2018
Redondo Beach
Name
Dennis
Boat
None
Cortez and Tanner Banks this year so far = small tuna, nice grade yellowtail & pesky skipjack, been there on 2 open party trips, 1.5 days & 2.5 days. Your best bet for the 100+ lb bluefin tuna is the west side of San Clemente Island. I personally witnessed a 210ish lb Bluefin hit the deck on the 2.5 day west of SCL on a 250g glow flat fall fished in the dark about 4-5am in the morning. All 32 on board had their glowing flat fall jigs in the water on our one and only drop and 2 lucky anglers hooked up, not me = ( , one spat the hook & the other brut was subdued in 20-25 mins on 100lb test on a 2 speed 50 size reel & meat stick. After that 1st & last drop Captain Kirk wanted to go chase the small yellowfin tuna, so we left the west side of SCL to go chase little tuna & skipjack on the lower banks, I was less than happy with the decision, but hey most on board were not properly equipped for the job, so can't blame Captain.

Reactions: Fin Fan