Offshore Bluefin 7/17.

erichibler

Dec 12, 2018
Concord
Name
Eric
Boat
2019 Allied Dominator 26
Took 12 hours to trailer the boat from SF Bay Area to Shelter island Friday. Headed out at 5am Sat, got bait and headed out to the flotilla. Flew a kite/balloon frozen flyer for hours with 1 take down. We think it might have been a shark because the bait was mangled, but who knows. Not sure how it could have missed that big ass treble. Threw out an 8 inch cedar plug way back and sure enough, landed a 50+ lb bluefin. Mako must have grabbed its tail reeling in. At the end of the day, we posted up just south of the fleet to drift with flat falls. We lit a couple up with the flash light, 10 minutes later as I’m just getting ready for bed, my 30 wide setup is getting smashed. Peeling line. We’re super stoked. I knew it was big from how tight I set the drag. Fought for a few minutes but it pulled the hook. So bummed. When we set the jigs back down, nothing, and in the morning, every one of them had that cucumber jelly fish on it. We tried flying the kite, cedar plug and nomad diver a little while longer with no luck. We did chase a few foaming yellowfin but they sank as soon as I threw a lure to them. At 11 decided to head back in for the long drive home.
Booked the outrider for my bachelor party trip next month, super looking forward to that.
Fun trip overall, enjoyed not having to burn a ton of fuel to reach the fish.

77DE35F6-4940-49DF-B798-4E2FC2539345.jpeg

E5418C1A-CFEA-4714-8C4E-ABF612897F47.jpeg

ADE7EDA4-EE13-41C5-86F2-6013F0481CA5.jpeg

erichibler

Dec 12, 2018
Concord
Name
Eric
Boat
2019 Allied Dominator 26
Crazy the whole tail got chopped off! How far is way back on cedar plug, and how fast do you troll them?
I'd say the cedar plug was about 150 yards back, and we were only trolling about 3 mph. Typically i troll them at 6 or 7 mph, but we were dragging a frozen flyer so we were going slower. Fish hit like a freight train though, dumping line, a lot of fun.

Reactions: Tom123 and Jankity
Upvote 0