SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Weather was less than desirable for a small skiff. Mixed seas and a stiff N wind. Bait was really good from EB but didn’t need it.

We left around midnight hoping to get the jump on the CF of boats we knew were coming. Driving down wasn’t too bad, but it was never “nice” out.

We had some numbers from a buddy who had some really good fishing down there on Friday which was nearby but in a slightly different zone than the primary body of fish on the upper hidden. So hoping to avoid the gang bang we headed to them. We never found the body of fish we were hoping for. The conditions made spotting all but impossible. All kelps we found were dead.

We worked from our initial zone back up the line to the main CF area hoping to find something better. We got into the main area of boats and it looked like a kite flying festival, but still not much to get excited about. The few meter marks we did find did not respond to chum or a dead flyer. We reluctantly decided to skip a yummy downswell back to our original area about 10 miles, mainly to get a break from the weather for a little bit and hoping to find a better zone with no boats.
It was a nice break we needed and we rotated taking much needed naps on the slow ride down swell.
We got back below our original area, and now looked at an even longer ride back uphill, but at least there in the new zone there were no boats and the conditions looked better with birds moving around a color/temp break so we decided to flip around and work this zone with the yummy hoping to either hit it blind or run over a big jag of fish we could work with.
At approximately 11am we got a blind hit on the yummy. Nice 130lb fish at 02 over 17. Still no meter marks and a longer away from home we decided to slowly skip back to port. That’s it, nothing seen the whole ride back back. From the radio chatter I don’t think a whole lot of people did well and we were happy to get what we did. Good luck out there.

A731FF35-211F-452F-9BA7-71C0300BD174.jpeg

255E8A59-014B-479A-85B4-F955691B09F9.jpeg

Last edited:

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE
Name
Nicholas Bronson
Boat
themodcatfish
Top photo should replace BD's "avatar" pic. Bottom photo looks like Matsusaka tuna. Awesome job!

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Weather was less than desirable for a small skiff. Mixed seas and a stiff N wind. Bait was really good from EB but didn’t need it.

We left around midnight hoping to get the jump on the CF of boats we knew were coming. Driving down wasn’t too bad, but it was never “nice” out.

We had some numbers from a buddy who had some really good fishing down there on Friday which was near by but in a slightly different zone than the primary body of fish on the upper hidden. So hoping to avoid the gang bang we headed to them. We never found the body of fish we were hoping for. The conditions made spotting all but impossible. All kelps we found were dead.

We worked from our initial zone back up the line to the maid CF area hoping to find something better. We go into the main area of boats and it looked like a kite flying festival, but still not much to get excited about. The few meter marks we did find did not respond to chum or a dead flyer. We reluctantly decided to skip a yummy downswell back to our original area about 10 miles, mainly to get a break from the weather for a little bit and hoping to find a better zone with no boats.
It was a nice break we needed and we rotated taking much needed naps on the slow ride down swell.
We got back below our original area, and now looked at an even longer ride back uphill, but at least there in the new zone there were no boats and the conditions looked better with birds moving around a color/temp break so we decided to flip around and work this zone with the yummy hoping to either hit it blind or run over a big jag of fish we could work with.
At approximately 11am we got a blind hit on the yummy. Nice 130lb fish at 02 over 17. Still no meter marks and a longer away from home we decided to slowly skip back to port. That’s it, nothing seen the whole ride back back. From the radio chatter I don’t think a whole lot of people did well and we were happy to get what we did. Good luck out there.

View attachment 1148756

View attachment 1148757
Did your yummy survive the attack ?

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Did your yummy survive the attack ?
Yes, fish was hooked perfectly and we cut the hook and yummy out and put it right back out. Couldn’t even tell it had been bit. It’s rigged with a single hook coming straight out of the rail, no trap treble.

Reactions: Otto

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
One is always better than none, especially when it’s a fat one. That Toro looks delicious, great job. Your decks look like a Davis, but without an engine box.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
One is always better than none, especially when it’s a fat one. That Toro looks delicious, great job. Your decks look like a Davis, but without an engine box.
Not my boat, but yes it’s a Davidson with an outboard conversion. I believe similar or same as the Davis just the newer owner of the molds. It’s an amazingly stable and fishable platform. Eats chop at 25+ knots and somehow stays remarkably dry despite its open configuration. It has been a lucky ride for me, I’m fortunate to have good friends share their rides with me while I’m boatless.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
you worked hard for it but still got one and had a good time, doesn't get much better than that, other than putting a few more on the deck...next time.
thanks for the report

ANGLING ALLEN

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2006
Fullerton
Name
Larry
Boat
finatic
Isn't it amazing how one fish can turn a nonproductive day into a lifetime fish story! Thanks for the report and intel. Now that's some bloodydecks!

FishJunkie90

Apr 16, 2020
San Diego
Name
Kurt
Boat
Rubber Float Tube

We had some numbers from a buddy who had some really good fishing down there on Friday which was near by but in a slightly different zone than the primary body of fish on the upper hidden. So hoping to avoid the gang bang we headed to them. We never found the body of fish we were hoping for. The conditions made spotting all but impossible. All kelps we found were dead.

We worked from our initial zone back up the line to the maid CF area hoping to find something better. We go into the main area of boats and it looked like a kite flying festival, but still not much to get excited about. The few meter marks we did find did not respond to chum or a dead flyer. We reluctantly decided to skip a yummy downswell back to our original area about 10 miles, mainly to get a break from the weather for a little bit and hoping to find a better zone with no boats.

View attachment 1148756

View attachment 1148757
Sounds like you put some work in. Thanks for the report. Hope the seas flatten out a bit.

clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261

We had some numbers from a buddy who had some really good fishing down there on Friday which was nearby but in a slightly different zone than the primary body of fish on the upper hidden. So hoping to avoid the gang bang we headed to them. We never found the body of fish we were hoping for. The conditions made spotting all but impossible. All kelps we found were dead.

We worked from our initial zone back up the line to the main CF area hoping to find something better. We got into the main area of boats and it looked like a kite flying festival, but still not much to get excited about. The few meter marks we did find did not respond to chum or a dead flyer. We reluctantly decided to skip a yummy downswell back to our original area about 10 miles, mainly to get a break from the weather for a little bit and hoping to find a better zone with no boats.

View attachment 1148756

View attachment 1148757
Nice Toro sashimi cut!