kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Curious if the Bluefin are at Cortez yet. If they are Tanner they have to be at Cortez bank. That's a spot you can anchor no problem and get yellowtail. I'm gonna suggest that to my captain tonight and see if anyone has fished there yet
Another Back Seat Captain, That's all they need!

Reactions: yellowfish26

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
You know how far down tanner bank is? No one is anchoring at that spot. They are definitely drifting. Depending where you're at on the bank you would never hit the bottom with an anchor. Not trying to be a dick was just thinking of people trying to anchor at tanner bank and the airplane banks in recent past lol
Well they could always put out the sea anchor and have the tuna get wrapped in the parachute.

Apr 28, 2015
Name
Nikolay Ivanov
Boat
26 Searay Sundancer
At Cortez we anchored at 120ft of water and watched the huge waves that are near the high spot...it was an awesome view. The Yellowtail was a no show, we worked really hard and only one person hooked a YT but it was about 8-10lb range fish. The rest of the guys were picking on whitefish, decent sheepheads and smaller grade rock cod. I was hoping the YT will show up around dusk but to no avail. The bonito was very active and picked all the live bait I threw at them, caught bonito even on the YoYo. Never fished the sea of Cortez before and didn't know what to expect but assumed it was similar to the ridge in Mexico. Heavily infested with YT which come in huge numbers in the AM and then roam around. I guess the BFT is just closer to the squid and likes the temp better at Tanner, have no clue. I guess if someone has a temp break chart will be interesting to take a look at that.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
At Cortez we anchored at 120ft of water and watched the huge waves that are near the high spot...it was an awesome view. The Yellowtail was a no show, we worked really hard and only one person hooked a YT but it was about 8-10lb range fish. The rest of the guys were picking on whitefish, decent sheepheads and smaller grade rock cod. I was hoping the YT will show up around dusk but to no avail. The bonito was very active and picked all the live bait I threw at them, caught bonito even on the YoYo. Never fished the sea of Cortez before and didn't know what to expect but assumed it was similar to the ridge in Mexico. Heavily infested with YT which come in huge numbers in the AM and then roam around. I guess the BFT is just closer to the squid and likes the temp better at Tanner, have no clue. I guess if someone has a temp break chart will be interesting to take a look at that.
It's not the "SEA OF CORTEZ" Like other people are calling it,, The SEA OF CORTEZ is on the inside of the "BAJA PENINSULA". The area you are referring to is the "CORTEZ BANK"

Apr 28, 2015
Name
Nikolay Ivanov
Boat
26 Searay Sundancer
It's not the "SEA OF CORTEZ" Like other people are calling it,, The SEA OF CORTEZ is on the inside of the "BAJA PENINSULA". The area you are referring to is the "CORTEZ BANK"
Yes, right just a habit from hearing it too much on the boat. Cortez bank was featured in some low budget movies like Point Break 2015 or 16 and famous for some nut waves.
On a side note, the fishing at Tanner Bank seems to get even better. More professional fishermen are getting there and you can tell by the fish counts from today.
Go get them guys!

Jul 5, 2016
Point Loma
Name
marshall madruga
Boat
madrugador
The last time I was on a cattle boat, while people went into sit down in between stops, I watched a jerk walk around with his snippers cutting weights off and stuffing them in his pockets..I walked out and asked him wtf are you doing..and he said he was doing the captain a favor by not having the weights bang around against the boat...lol really?? I have also had jerks try to walk off with one of my set-ups..he was standing right at the gate ready to be the first one off when I caught him...unbelievable.
Where? What boat?! You need to put these guys on notice. Unbelievable!!

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Where do I pick up my free pizza? Good job on the bluefin. Have to pick up some glowing sinkers for next year.
Next year???? I suggest go now !!! Never a guarantee we will have local 90-288 lb bft !!!

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
I know it sucks to have to. But I engrave my initials into my jigs!!! Flat falls etc. also glow sliders. Helps. When tangles too.

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
You know how far down tanner bank is? No one is anchoring at that spot. They are definitely drifting. Depending where you're at on the bank you would never hit the bottom with an anchor. Not trying to be a dick was just thinking of people trying to anchor at tanner bank and the airplane banks in recent past lol
What the?!!

lj.fish

Fun Shit Maynard!
May 28, 2007
LBC
Name
larry
Boat
Julia Lee
Curious if the Bluefin are at Cortez yet. If they are Tanner they have to be at Cortez bank. That's a spot you can anchor no problem and get yellowtail. I'm gonna suggest that to my captain tonight and see if anyone has fished there yet
I'm sure that will go over well.

GarytheCPA

Jun 13, 2011
Costa Mesa/California/USA
Name
Gary Craig
Boat
36 BHM
The highspot at Tanner is 80'

I never thought I'd see the sporties anchoring in 350' of water either, but it happens.

Last edited:

Nick Longoria

Aug 18, 2012
Pomona Ca USA
Name
Nick Longoria
Boat
Wellcraft Sportsman 248
It's even higher than 80' in very small areas. We have anchored on tanner many times. Sometimes people being not so educated on spots can detour others from trying. If you aren't certain of what you're talking about, maybe it's best to say so or say nothing at all.

fish&snow

lurker
May 27, 2014
Name
James
Boat
Reel Freedom
The Today's jackpot on the Freedom
18 BFT 80-110 lb on water report

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
Great team work boys!!!!!

Apr 28, 2015
Name
Nikolay Ivanov
Boat
26 Searay Sundancer
The Today's jackpot on the Freedom
18 BFT 80-110 lb on water report
Freedom are on the roll ... they are also building brand new alliances with the SD fleet. They hand out bait to other boats in the area and this will put them on the map next year when they need numbers for some biting fish. Pretty cool IMO.
Wondering how long these BFT will be at the Tanner..really interesting.

LuvBigBoats

Gone fishing
Sep 4, 2014
Name
Paul
Boat
Yeah Baybee!
Great video. Nice that people gave him room. What a great experience.
But wtf with the captain commenting about being 55 and still being able to do what he was doing? As if at 55 you can't reel in big fish? I hope that's not the case. I'm 56....

deadsea

Sep 3, 2007
West Hollywood
Name
Gene
Boat
Project 885
2 for 3. Same trip. It was nice to meet you Nikolay.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikolay Ivanov
Apr 28, 2015
Name
Nikolay Ivanov
Boat
26 Searay Sundancer
2 for 3. Same trip. It was nice to meet you Nikolay.
What a nice pic Kas took for you :) he is a real pro at this. Great fishing with you two! You guys caught most of the fish on this boat :) Also you were way better prepared than most people on the boat. Keep me posted if you guys go for another trip!

Those fish can beat the shit out of you!
Here is yesterdays jackpot, caught by my buddy.
54 inch tall, 38 inch waist.
Nice fish! Grat pics! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: deadsea