Bluefin 100lb's on Freedom Nov 5th - Tanner Bank

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Nikolay Ivanov, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Nikolay Ivanov

Nikolay Ivanov Newbie

Name:
    Nikolay Ivanov
    Boat:
    26 Searay Sundancer
    Short version:
    Got out on a 1.5 day trip to Tanner Bank for the hot BFT bite reported on the Freedom. Got 2 for 4 on the 85-100lb BF. Live squid on sliding 1oz sinker was the ticket. Some got them on the rubber band. Line used was 50lb fluoro. The fluff:
    My dad came to visit me for the holiday season and I wanted to take him fishing before the season was over. Wanted to do a 1.5 day trip either out of CI or Pedro. The goal was to get some action. Scouted the fish reports and saw promising counts of tuna 10 days before I booked the Nov 4th trip on the Freedom and pulled the trigger. To my surprise 3 days before departure they were all sold out and the reports for the huge BFT rolled in. That was awesome but I really have 1 solid two speed reel, smaller Trinidad, few Lexa 400's and the old backup X40S Daiwa. Spooled everything I got with fresh 65lb spectra and hoped that my solid rod collection will cover the reeling power gap if we would get lucky.
    The boat was running late the day of departure and we heard the news that they got 12 GBFT's which was mixed feeling. Then we saw the fish getting unloaded at the dock and a group that came out of the boat stocked. They lost plenty of fish due to the usual chatter. Under powered, too much rookies and what not. Anyway we got pumped and ready to glow. Yup - glow, not a typo. My first time on the Freedom. Kind of embarrassing, learned they been there for 40 years with 3 or more ownership changes but I mostly fish the Native Sun if I go local or San Diego for the long range stuff. It was never the case that the tuna are so close to LA that I had to find me a local long range boat. Happy I did it. The Freedom was newly renovated with great crew and captain Tino leading the way for this trip. The plan was to make squid at Catalina and continue straight to Tanner Bank. They didn't get any love on the squid at Catalina this time but the boat was more than half loaded with great squid from the previous trip.
    We got to the grounds around 7:30AM and we saw 5-6 other boats working the area already. We drove around for 15-20 minutes and the captain metered a large school. The BFT were waiting and eagerly picked up all of the squid that got to their sweet depth of 150ft. The first biters took the squid that had rubber band with 4-6oz sinkers as we were instructed earlier. We knew not to bother with 30lb leaders early on so everyone on the boat was with 50 or 60lb leaders. Anyway, the first biting fish brought the school up and we got 3-4 hookups really quick and then all the usual mess. People casting on top of each other and crap load of tangles. My dad never ever fished for big game before and was pushed around like a rag doll as he learned the hard way to follow his line :). I had to raise my voice at him at times but he knew it is just fishing and we don't have time to get to analyze the cattle situations...just follow the herd. I had a a solid plan for this scenario and it was to cast on sliding egg sinkers further out from the crowd starting from the corner. It was a good plan but it was just too messy in the first few minutes of the drift. We both got our lines cut off :). No hard feelings. I accept at least 50% fault. At least we didn't lose anyone fish. Seems at this point there are only half of the guys fishing. The others are scrambling to tie new tackle. Now we are on to second backup set of rod/reel setups....and yes, we look funny. I get a Lexa 400 and my dad gets the Daiwa Saltiga 2 spd. So I cast at the corner for my dad where it was least crowded and let him follow his line. I go to grab my Lexa and cast 4 or 5 positions behind him by the time the corner is cleared. So here I hear him shouting that his line is peeling off like crazy and he is panicking not knowing what the hell is trying to pull him over board:). I couldn't help him there and in his panic attack he puts so much pressure on the spool with his thumb that it "burned" him. The fish broke off and my dad learns the hard way that you need to know what drag is and that you can count on it to land the fish for you. I haven't seen a broken 50lb flouro leader snap from stretching but that was it. Had a perfect san diego jam knot with reverse albright for the braid connection that wasn't going anywhere but home. So now that I was tangle free behind him 2 minutes in my soak, I feel the pull and letting it run with it. It takes off slowly and then zips 3-4 seconds into the pull I put the reel in gear and start winding and .... a miss. F...k how is that fair. I rather have the captain make fun of my Lexa 400 than this. Can't believe my 3/0 circle gorilla missed that.
    Anyway, it slows down and I decide to take the time off and re-spool the Daiwa X40SH. So I got it ready and prepared for the second drift which happened about 30-45 minutes after the first drift. The boat pulled 3-4 fish from the first drift. Plenty of casualties but lots of peeps can't keep it cool under pressure, don't allow themselves enough space to soak the baits or just don't know the basic follow your line. Now in the second drift I am still sticking to the sliding 1oz sinker setup. I wait for everyone to cast and allow more space at the corder and cast for my dad and them myself right behind him. He gets bit 2-3 minutes in again but this time knows not to touch the line or the reel. He got the X40SH in gear and got hooked up. The reel drag did amazing job at making that fish run to less than 30 yards. He turned the head of the fish and after 30 minutes with the help of the crew and myself he got the fish bouncing on the deck. For those of you that think you need a huge reel to land those fish - "You are wrong!"
    Just need a good rod. I got Calstar graphiters and they are awesome to break the fish not you or your reel. It was definitely a bitch to pull on 90lb fish with one speed jigging reel but that could be survived as long as your drags don't smoke you. There is rails, armpits, hips and whatever else you can hang that rod on to help you break the fish faster.
    I will post vide of Capt. Tino schooling my dad on how to properly reel fish in.... it is awesome to see the amount of pressure that fish took without a single hiccup from the tackle.
    Anyway...it is getting way too long lol...so we missed the first 2 bites, my dad learns how to reel in on big fish and that you use the drag and not your fingers to stop the fish and now is my turn to get bit on the Saltiga 2spd. It was 2-3 minutes into the soak off the bow where it was more clear from crowd. I just casted in the corner from the bow with a 2oz sliding sinker and got slammed hard. Set it in gear and had another perfect corner hookup and in 25-30 minutes number two was on board. Handed it to my dad to fight it also until he got wasted and the crew helped him bring it on board. One fish was 80b the other was 90lb. It is not a huge secret but no one mentions the glow in the dark sinkers for some reason were the hot ticket to the quick bites. I had plenty with me and gave 5-6 pieces to unfortunate fisherman on the boat for free. It was sad that someone stole our sinkers from our rigged rods in between stops and just left the hooks hanging on the guides. Just ask dang it. If I have it will share, don't have to go nasty and steal bulshit like this.
    At 2pm Cap. Tino got intel that a boat had 70 Yellowtails on the Cortez bank and made the 1.5 hour drive to check it out. The alternative was to chase YFT in gray light on the way home but we opted to go for the sea of Cortez. One of my favorite spots with that high surf spot ..amazing to see. Too bad the Yellowtails were gone for the day and we scratched at bones for the end of a great trip.
    In conclusion, none of the fishes we landed took too much line for the first run, so drag around 20lb. was plenty. The reel capacity was needed for a longer soak duration mainly. I would say 300yd capacity was sufficient for the grade of fish we got. Don't use bass rods as you will not hurt the fish will waste other fishermen precious time fighting a fish forever. We lost at least 15-20 fish as a group. If you only had a second chance at most of these trivial errors hahaha :)
    If you read all of this ...you get free pizza.
    Take care. good luck and enjoy the amazing times for So Cal fishing that we get these past few years.
    -Nikolay

Capt. Tino kicking ass and schooling pops ...great stuff :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Nice fish and report!

That sinker stealing sucks.

Noah & Scoot likes this.
  3. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Great video. Excellent coaching by the coach. My compliments.

4. lobzila

lobzila Member

Name:
    e-man
    Boat:
    204 Angler
    Where do I pick up my free pizza? Good job on the bluefin. Have to pick up some glowing sinkers for next year.

jsl, SoCalAvet and Nikolay Ivanov like this.
  5. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Thanks for posting, I sure miss fishing with my Dad.

6. 45king

45king Tuna smasher

Name:
    danny
    Boat:
    bw montauk
    You're way too nice. I would shouted out " whoever is STEALING my weights better not get caught asshole"!

Nikolay Ivanov likes this.
  7. lynndeva

lynndeva Fishing mom

Name:
    Debi
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal
    The last time I was on a cattle boat, while people went into sit down in between stops, I watched a jerk walk around with his snippers cutting weights off and stuffing them in his pockets..I walked out and asked him wtf are you doing..and he said he was doing the captain a favor by not having the weights bang around against the boat...lol really?? I have also had jerks try to walk off with one of my set-ups..he was standing right at the gate ready to be the first one off when I caught him...unbelievable.

Nikolay Ivanov likes this.
  8. 45king

45king Tuna smasher

Name:
    danny
    Boat:
    bw montauk
    Holy cow Debi. So what happened?

9. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Outstanding, congrats!

10. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Great job putting your dad on the fish. Congrats.

11. viti

viti Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    none
    Good job and thanks for sharing all the details. Did you use a swivel or anything else as a "stopper" for the sliding sinker, or was it free to slide all the way to the hook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    Buy your Dad a 2 speed for Christmas... :D

SD Fish Guy likes this.
  13. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    About the matter of people not following their lines, I'm almost wondering if there's someone who simply isn't doing it, if someone should step in and talk to one of the deckhands about it, so maybe the deckhand or captain could explain to the person how to do that again and how important it is for everyone on the boat.

Just seems like on every trip I've been on this year, there's a learning curve in the morning when some people try to figure out how to follow their lines, but then in the afternoon, it starts to become obvious who's really trying to do it and who's not, and it's usually the same small group of guys who simply aren't doing it. And I've never really been sure if it's because they don't care, are just stubborn, or don't really understand or know how to do it....

14. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    Nice job and fun time with your Dad! Very cool to have that in your memory bank!

15. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Awesome to spend time with your dad, and catch some nice fish at the same time!

16. RamsNducks

RamsNducks Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    None
    Awesome job I'm so stoked for you and your dad. Those are trophy fish that you two are gonna talk about for the rest of your lifetime. I leave tonight, and did you use any swivels for the sliding sinker?

17. Steve Francis

Steve Francis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    StephenKatSea
    Boat:
    .--.
    Good report and video. Really enjoyed it. The Freedom, along with its sister The Liberty, has an excellent So Cal history, all the way back to Pierpoint Landing in LB. Anyoone recall those twilight WSB runs? Taka Tanaka, among many other good captains, once ran The Freedom.

18. Nikolay Ivanov

Nikolay Ivanov Newbie

Name:
    Nikolay Ivanov
    Boat:
    26 Searay Sundancer
    Did not use swivel, just straight up/down to the hook. I think the glowing sinker all the way down to the hook helps with putting my bait on the map :) Also someone mentioned that the glowing weight mimics the male squid's head and make it all more attractive to the fish.
    About the guy that stole the sinkers :) I am sure he didn't catch anything so no point making a huge drama out of it. I had to hide my sinkers in my pocket at this moment on and still had a good backup.
    The guys that all get tangled in the morning is simply too much excitement when that first few fish take off and people forget to think! They don't allow any space between their casts or simply cast on top of each other and there is no way the drift will straighten these lines ever specially when you get over 30 lines on the same side.
    All in all try to stay clear from the crowd when it is the hottest bite or at least cast next to someone that knows what he is doing.
    Now for X-mass he is getting fighting belt as he is all bruised up and I will be getting some Talica's. My dad would have been happy pulling on bonito but the lucky bird thought otherwise for him ;) They visit once a year for a month and back home in Bulgaria the biggest fish is either carp or catfish. He still enjoys his fly fishing more than anything.
    Good luck on tonight's trip and let me know if you have any other questions.

19. GarytheCPA

GarytheCPA Member

Name:
    Gary Craig
    Boat:
    36 BHM
    Are the boats Anchoring on the Tanner (I didn't look up the depth) or drifting? Please say drift....

20. RamsNducks

RamsNducks Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    None
    You know how far down tanner bank is? No one is anchoring at that spot. They are definitely drifting. Depending where you're at on the bank you would never hit the bottom with an anchor. Not trying to be a dick was just thinking of people trying to anchor at tanner bank and the airplane banks in recent past lol

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016