FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
This is a Lamiglas Super Surf rod, SSS132-2MH, rated for 17-40 pound lines and 2-5 oz. lures. It's painted a beautiful dark blue metallic and the wraps are all silver and blue metallic as well.

I probably spent more time working out the functional aspects on this rod then I spent actually building the rod, as the customer is really focused on casting long distance. There were two main issues with the build for achieving that goal. First, the blank is a 30/70 split and I was worried about the butt section being long enough to get good leverage during the cast, because the angler is about 6'5" and has really long arms, plus he wanted a flat section ahead of the reel seat to mount a casting trigger release (I'd never seen one).

In the end, I think it all worked out and although he may not get a 100 yards with it I'm confident he'll be getting longer casts than he's ever gotten from his factory surf rod.

Stan's Surf 1.jpg
Stan's Surf 2.jpg
Stan's Surf 3.jpg
Stan's Surf 4.jpg
Stan's Surf 5.jpg
Stan's Surf 6.jpg
Stan's Surf 7.jpg
Stan's Surf 8.jpg
Stan's Surf 9.jpg
Stan's Surf 10.jpg
Stan's Surf 11.jpg

Last edited:

Nhan Bui Flashbite

Do it, don’t talk too much
  • May 5, 2016
    Westminster
    Name
    Nhan
    Boat
    Sienna
    Beautiful rod. What brand of silver metallic did you use ? I used size A silver from Pacbay for the Reaper but not 100% happy with the color. It wasn’t bright like i want 😆.

JTrelikes

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 3, 2006
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat
    Bubba Jean 28
    the craftsmanship is 10 out of 10. People dont understand how hard it is to get the different parts of the rod to blend together, to be straight, to not have gaps or expoxy errors. The thought it takes into designing and building something like that.

And the LONG FLAT epoxy work is a thing of envy for me.

What Todd said......nicely done Bill! :D

Reactions: tgorman

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
    Nov 11, 2007
    Baja Sur, MX
    Name
    Bill Burkett
    Boat
    the craftsmanship is 10 out of 10. People dont understand how hard it is to get the different parts of the rod to blend together, to be straight, to not have gaps or expoxy errors. The thought it takes into designing and building something like that.

And the LONG FLAT epoxy work is a thing of envy for me.
    Thank you for the compliments Todd. I'm pretty happy with this one.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
    Nov 11, 2007
    Baja Sur, MX
    Name
    Bill Burkett
    Boat
    Beautiful rod. What brand of silver metallic did you use ? I used size A silver from Pacbay for the Reaper but not 100% happy with the color. It wasn’t bright like i want 😆.
    Nhan, the threads are all Pro-Wrap metallic size A. I actually like the Pac-Bay "chrome" as I think it's shinier than the Pro-Wrap.

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
    Aug 20, 2010
    Sequim, WA USA
    Name
    Grant Darby
    Boat
    Which one?
    straight as that looks you'll have to change your card........."artist in thread, with a laser eye"

steelfish

Baja Boy..
    Oct 16, 2008
    Calexico, Ca / BAJA,Mexico
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    dos por favor
    nice rod Bill, simply beautiful.

right now many hardcore surf fisherman are using the last runner guides with single foot guides in order to let the blank more natural and with less restrictions and weight for better casting.
    is a tradeoff from the durability of double foot guides, just what a recently got told from a rod builder of 13 and 15ft long rods for extra long distance casting rods.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
    Nov 11, 2007
    Baja Sur, MX
    Name
    Bill Burkett
    Boat
    nice rod Bill, simply beautiful.

right now many hardcore surf fisherman are using the last runner guides with single foot guides in order to let the blank more natural and with less restrictions and weight for better casting.
    is a tradeoff from the durability of double foot guides, just what a recently got told from a rod builder of 13 and 15ft long rods for extra long distance casting rods.
    Alex, it's interesting to me that you mentioned the guide trains for surf rods, as I spent quite a lot of time deciding on the guides for this build.

For the last few years I've been using mostly Fuji's surf casting guides on the surf rods I've been building. It was hard for me to switch to those guides because the small 16mm ring on the butt guide just didn't seem right for a spinning rod, but the design is based on the use of braided line instead of mono and they worked really well. Every customer that got a rod with that guide train said they had never been able to cast as far as they were with those guides. So, Fuji discontinued them. They still offer the butt guide in two sizes, but only with titanium frames and they offer no other guide that matches the butt guide design. As an artist, I compose a rod build as I would a painting, so mis-matched guides won't be found on anything I build.

The guides on this rod are Fuji K-Alconites and Fuji has recently changed these guides as well. The new guides are the same design, but they are the corrosion control frames and use a different ring material (I don't remember what the new ring material is right at the moment). This change was an issue in this build too, as my customer is very particular about everything being the same on all his builds and he has said he'd likely want a second surf rod. I had enough of these Alconites on hand for two rods, so I chose them. I've now got some of the new version and they are nice, but they are not plated, so they are not as shiny as the older style.

I also purchased some of the American Tackle Microwave surf guides to see if they might be an option. Their system uses single foot guides as the runners. The butt guide on their guide train has a 50mm outer ring with a 30mm ring just ahead then a reduction guide with a 16mm ring (both double foot guides), then the single foot guides with 12mm rings. Based on the success I saw with the Fuji 16mm rings, these microwaves seemed to be too large to me. The largest guide on the rod is a 40mm now. Because this customer wants to cast a long ways, I couldn't risk experimenting with guides I didn't understand, so stuck with the older style that I knew would work. I have three more surf rods to build and they are all on American Tackle blanks and will all get the Am-Tac surf guides, so by next wrapping season I hope to have a better understanding of the latest guide technology.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

steelfish

Baja Boy..
    Oct 16, 2008
    Calexico, Ca / BAJA,Mexico
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    dos por favor
    Alex, it's interesting to me that you mentioned the guide trains for surf rods, as I spent quite a lot of time deciding on the guides for this build.

well, I would have done the same you did.

dont quote me on that new Technique for surf rods, I like surf fishing and been reading a lot lately about lighter but strong 13ft rods or larger, right now its kinda as it was debated/accepted the acid wrap benefits few years ago (and still) where most guys dont completely accept it, you might want to read about Fuji KR Concept, same rules apply to long surf rods, 7ft spinning rods and casting rods, guides 40 and 50 size are out of the picture now, most start with 30 size and downsize pretty fast to use small running guides, etc.

grouping_tip_guides.jpg

9f07cef6ae6a2f896e2d2884612cc171.jpg

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
    Nov 11, 2007
    Baja Sur, MX
    Name
    Bill Burkett
    Boat
    I've been using that for quite some time Alex. The large eye on the Am-Tac guide is 50mm and reduces to 30mm. I don't understand the reason for the 50mm - why not start at 30mm, as it's plenty large enough for braided lines. Only thing I could think of is they wanted it to work with mono lines as well, which makes sense.