Dan Banks

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 24, 2015
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
Tuna Tank
We were out on Saturday and drug a marlin spread from North Island down the ridge there then out to the 425 and back on the same path to the S9 for nada. The 12" pink lure after inspection looks like it may have got line hit by a wahoo as a chunk of the #400 leader was chafed. I think all the action is to the north. Doest seem like there is any food for them to the south. We will run north this weekend unless things change.

BenTerrible

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 20, 2013
Ramona
Name
Ben
Boat
AGITATOR
Official Dope for the BIG catch made by the AGITATOR Sunday, October 11, 2015:

That bite happened right on top of the 43 at approximately 2:15. On our way over from the north 9 we saw an incredible water color change maybe 2 miles west of the corner. Deep purple blue with temps around 74-75. Flying fish in the area as well.

The fish bit a Blue/Pink Black Bart rock plunger, double hook setup, 400# leader, short outrigger on my port side.

Bring BIG gear!

Avet ProEX50 2 speed wide spool, 130# line, Phenix Black Diamond Hybrid PHD-700X3H / AFTCO rollers.

We watched 800 yards leave in under 1 minute, reel was cooking. Keep fresh water on board for cooling!

Trolling speed was about 10 knots.

-BT

Meet Marcy the Blue Marlin...

IMG_0102.jpg

Posted Up

A "reel" Bill Collector
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado and So Cal
Name
Ryan Boettcher
Boat
44' Post Sportfish
Wow. Long day on the water, but a fun one without a lot of production. Covered about 150 miles. Went out of SD, targeting blues. I went to the bank 4 miles east of the Coronado's and got bit off on a marlin jig by a smaller size wahoo at 6:45am. Proceeded to the Kidney bank and then to San Salvador knoll and not a sniff of anything. Hit the San Clemente basin NOAA buoy and it gave up a 17 " dorado. Not kidding. I should have bridled it and slow trolled it as bait! That was the only fish of the day. We passes a lo of good looking kelos which I passed up because we were targeting blues. Let me I said ea rlier in the thread, I'd report a legit report good or bad. 1 chaquito dodo and getting bit off isn't exactly knocking em dead. Headed out as I write this and will report back tonight. We drank too much tequila at the dock and we are keeping banker hours today suggestions on my destinations today? Targeting marlin again.

Reactions: Larmo

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Dumped an estimated 500 lb blue today.
Where: 160 fathom line off San Onofre
Lure: Happy Endings behind a bird/spreader bar
Tackle: Simano Tiagra 50wlrs with 50 lb mono

We were fishing for wahoo with 4 Marauders out and the one marlin lure out. Fish bit, gave us one jump and dumped. Estimated at 500 lbs. Angler (Happy Ending Lures) and Captain have extensive blue marlin experience. We were targeting wahoo.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Also what leader material? We were using 300# Momoi and it popped when we leadered hard but not that hard. Leader was thrashed. Might be too soft. No big deal on the fish because it led to a clean release but I lost my lure which was destined for the Hall of Fame...

Thinking of switching to Triple Fish but it's so stiff.
Momoi Marlin Hard 400#.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Nice marlin, looks like another misidentified blue though.
Yep, another blue. About the size of the one we hooked on Sunday up the line off San Onofre. Wonder if our hook set was still in it?

Slice-Of-Life

SoCal Hoo and Blue Club
Jun 18, 2012
San Jacinto
Name
Travis Magnano
Boat
Nope

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Nice! We dragged all day from PL along the 23 line and out to the 9. No strikes. Still epic to have a chance on these fish.
It would be cool to see a real black just because it would be different. At 500 lbs I do not care which one it is as long as it eats my lure.

BenTerrible

Jun 20, 2013
Ramona
Name
Ben
Boat
AGITATOR
Worked the water for a long time yesterday, no Marlin.

Out of Mission Bay by 6:45, pointed to the nine. Choppy, 72-73 temps. Worked north almost to Oceanside. A few flying fish further north along with Dolphin. Looks like the fish may have headed further north with the heated blob of water.
Screenshot_2015-10-24-20-08-30.png

Check the SST if you can and go fish!

-BT

DOS BALLENAS

bisque is better
Nov 25, 2005
cardiff
Name
owyn
Boat
15 ft gregor, dos ballenas dos/ yak, fishstix
I would definitely be interested in a kit.
Kit should be in the mail soon I hope.... James Wraith who is in charge of the tagging program will be in touch with you!

If anyone else is interested in tagging NOAA will provide all the tags and a kit to build a tagging pole.... for free

Send an email to :

[email protected]

Tagging is pretty easy and the results can be pretty amazing.... NOAA keeps track of all the tagged fish that are re-caught.... so if you tag a fish and it gets re-caught NOAA will contact you and let you know how far your fish traveled.

Some of the results from previous tagging:

7 stripers tagged in Socal were recaptured in Hawaii

A tagged Blue traveled 4450nm in 808 days

A tagged Sail traveled 503nm in 27 days

Striper tagged off Peru travelled 3693 nm in 141 days

chucknhb

Apr 23, 2012
Huntington beach
Name
Chuck
Boat
Bertram 38
I was in Cabo for the long weekend relaxing but I did stop by the Bisbee's to check the numbers. Going back out Saturday South of Dana and North SD for Blues and Wahoo. I just need to check to see if the fish have moved.

DOS BALLENAS

bisque is better
Nov 25, 2005
cardiff
Name
owyn
Boat
15 ft gregor, dos ballenas dos/ yak, fishstix
no just for billfish unfortunately.

Or there is a student at Scripps tagging yellowtail you can contact..... if you want to tag and release yellowtail