Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Also what leader material? We were using 300# Momoi and it popped when we leadered hard but not that hard. Leader was thrashed. Might be too soft. No big deal on the fish because it led to a clean release but I lost my lure which was destined for the Hall of Fame...

Thinking of switching to Triple Fish but it's so stiff.

Reactions: Ctony.clark

Paul Ward

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
Also what leader material? We were using 300# Momoi and it popped when we leadered hard but not that hard. Leader was thrashed. Might be too soft. No big deal on the fish because it led to a clean release but I lost my lure which was destined for the Hall of Fame...

We were on a couse for the 277 from the 209 it hit a large flyer color behind a ff teaser.It took most of the 600 ft of mono and spectra ,we were so cloce to spooled that we had an assist rod clipped on through parts of the battle. The line broke near tha reel in the last 30 yrds?? If we were to land that fish it would have been in the dark for sure..next time we will have the big guns.

Dan Banks

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 24, 2015
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
Tuna Tank

You gota run #400 with steel on the hooks due to the number of wahoos out there.

Saintwho

Jul 25, 2014
Name
Chris
Boat
2101WA
caught one yesterday about 10 miles off LaJolla, Mexican flag feather with 65lb mono probably weighed about 200 or so lbs.

Striper 2101

It gave an awesome air display

Bradyxxx

Sep 21, 2014
San Diego
Name
Braden
Boat
Catchalot
Top Gun 80 5 Blue Marlin released 10/9

From the H&M fish count web site,
Their fish count was, 19 anglers, 140 YF, 65 YT, 5 Blue Marlin (released)

Last edited:

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
5 Blues on the Top Gun 80 ? I've fished with Bob Taft, owner operator, of that boat. He does know how to fish/catch Marlin.

Dan Banks

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 24, 2015
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
Tuna Tank
wow. How can you catch 5 in 1 day. If you are on each fish even for 1 hour? Great Job to them

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
5 blues ? I for one, hope it is true. If it is, it is just another record from this epic season. Bob and his crew, could have the talent to make it happen. . . . .

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
That's some crazy shit even if it's just stripers.

Big blue was released inside the 43 today. Another was baited 10 miles outside on a paddy after it ate small tunas they were catching. Better have some big rods in the rack ready to go if you find the small tuna.

We released a big striper today about 2 miles outside the 43. Ate an Abaco Prowler in black and purple on the corner. No notice just inhaled the jig and we were on.

Afternoon water temps at the 43 were 78.7. Small tunas have moved off the beach and it seems the Marlin have followed them.

Also heard a radio report from a guy who baited 12 Marlin on the Upper Hidden and released 2. Also got a wahoo down there. That's an epic day if there ever was one.

Thanks for posting here. Don't give up on the blues just yet. There are still trophies to be had!

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Did not catch one today but saw 2 while I was gutting my wahoo around noon, my kids sitting on the bow said to grab the camera! snapped these pics of the larger one! jumping and slamming back into the water many times was a spectacular site!

Wish the pics were clearer :cool:

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.14.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.15.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.15.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.17.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.17.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.18.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 11.18.33 PM.png

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Drug lures all day and slow trolled a couple of yellows for two hours around the 43 today for no biters. Still had a blast in perfect conditions. Heard a guy was on a marlin for 30 mins near the 43 but couldn't confirm and couldn't see him. Would like to know they are still around. Water there looks great.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Drug lures all day and slow trolled a couple of yellows for two hours around the 43 today for no biters. Still had a blast in perfect conditions. Heard a guy was on a marlin for 30 mins near the 43 but couldn't confirm and couldn't see him. Would like to know they are still around. Water there looks great.
I heard from two different sources (both within minutes of each other) that a 677 Blue marlin was weighed in at the SD Marlin Club. I am not sure of the location, but thought it might have been on the 43, but much longer than a 30 minute fish?

The unknown fisherman:p:

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Just confirmed with a call to my friend who is president of the SD Marlin club. Yes a 677 lb Blue was taken today on the 43. He sounded in a hurry, so that's all the info I was able to get just now.

The unknown fisherman:p:

chucknhb

Apr 23, 2012
Huntington beach
Name
Chuck
Boat
Bertram 38
Sunday on the 279 Marlin hit the long purple and black trolled at 8 kts. A 50 wide 2 speed with 100 yards 80 # and 500 yards of 120 # braid was on the reel. The fish had 500 yards out on us and we lost it with slack in the line backing down hard when the fish ran at the boat. fish was only on 15- 20 minutes

Reactions: Larmo

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Sunday on the 279 Marlin hit the long purple and black trolled at 8 kts. A 50 wide 2 speed with 100 yards 80 # and 500 yards of 120 # braid was on the reel. The fish had 500 yards out on us and we lost it with slack in the line backing down hard when the fish ran at the boat. fish was only on 15- 20 minutes
Nice fish won that one despite your preparation. 8 - 8.5 has been our magic speed too.

What size lure and hooks?

Thanks for the report. This thread will be an interesting history of a season we'll talk about for the rest of our lives.

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
The crew is me and my co-caption. She runs the boat and I hang on when the big boys hit.
Lure rigged with double hooks on a 400 # mono 10 foot leader.
If was a good weekend. One big Wahoo on Saturday and had a good shot at a nice blue. It jumped 5 times before the clicker even started singing.

View attachment 630558

View attachment 630559

Livin' the dream right there! And a nice fish too.

I wish I had invented Moldcraft marlin lures. So simple and so effective.

Reactions: limnos

Posted Up

A "reel" Bill Collector
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado and So Cal
Name
Ryan Boettcher
Boat
44' Post Sportfish
Headed out Saturday and Sunday out of SD headed for the corner and then south to the Kidney then back home. Targeting marlin. I'll post legit results good and bad when we're back to the dock. I haven't heard any reports of catches in MX waters, but the have to be there.

Good thread Larmo...good thread.

Reactions: Larmo