Offshore Blue Marlin Release (Certified ID at Marlin Club ILTT)

PENN

Billy V

Seabass Commando
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
On Friday and Saturday September 19th and 20th we fished The Marlin Club ILTT and Mission Bay Marlin Club Charity Heart Tournaments.

Boat Name "Lively One"
Gerald Lively MBMC President at the controls
Billy Vitale MBMC Weighmaster crew member
Clint Lively MBMC Angler
John Noble MBMC Leader Man

We were restricted to IGFA 30 lb. line under ILTT Rules, so we use that gear both days.

The fish approach from starboard and knocked the outrigger jig clear out of the water, then turned to the whiskey line jig and stuck. It was hooked and fought on IGFA 30 lb. Line. It took 1 hour and 9 minutes to leader where it was photographed and successfully released.

Pictures were presented at The Marlin Club today for verification by an IGFA Observer who certified it as a Blue Marlin and official release.

Tight Lines
Billy V

B1.JPG

Upvote 0

Billy V

Seabass Commando
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
The fish was caught on the North 9.

Another club member Ken Yasuda of "Encounter" hooked a BIG Blue at the same time we did and fought it for 7 hours before it came unbuttoned.
His fish came as a double strike on the jigs, and his fish was hooked on dropped back Bait 50 lb. line. as he was fishing the Heart Tournament and not restricted to ILTT rules.

BTW
We also hooked and released a Short Bill Spearfish Yesterday.

These are Good Times.
Billy V

CIMG5020.JPG

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Dang Billy, I talked to John last night and he told me about your day. He left out the part about your marlin being a blue though. :eek: (Or I need to pay better attention LOL)
    I bet that's the first EVER Blue Marlin, Shortbill Spearfish combo in Ca. waters.

:daman:

Upvote 0

saltwaters

Sep 4, 2003
    offshore
    Name
    none
    Boat
    none
    On Friday and Saturday September 19th and 20th we fished The Marlin Club ILTT and Mission Bay Marlin Club Charity Heart Tournaments.

Boat Name "Lively One"
    Gerald Lively MBMC President at the controls
    Billy Vitale MBMC Weighmaster crew member
    Clint Lively MBMC Angler
    John Noble MBMC Leader Man

We were restricted to IGFA 30 lb. line under ILTT Rules, so we use that gear both days.

The fish approach from starboard and knocked the outrigger jig clear out of the water, then turned to the whiskey line jig and stuck. It was hooked and fought on IGFA 30 lb. Line. It took 1 hour and 9 minutes to leader where it was photographed and successfully released.

Pictures were presented at The Marlin Club today for verification by an IGFA Observer who certified it as a Blue Marlin and official release.

Tight Lines
    Billy V

View attachment 545283

Congratulations on a fine catch and release. Marlin certainly love those 28 Topaz boats. Selling mine was a huge mistake.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    A Sailfish would be cool! I'd have kept that spearfish too.

Reactions: slydawg
    Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
    Sep 24, 2006
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Freefrom Boats Club
    WOW!!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!

Congrats gentlemen, wear the crown with pride, you deserve it!!!!

Upvote 0

Marlinloco

Gyro Guy
    Aug 24, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Warren
    Boat
    Jewel Lure
    So awesome, congrats!!! Hoping to get a shot at one next weekend. We'll be trolling 50# and 80# on the short corners which won't count for our tournament but who cares. Once in a lifetime opportunity.

Upvote 0

Noble Hook

May 4, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    John
    Boat
    25' Outrage "Inhaler" & 29’ Shamrock Walkaround “Novia Loca”
    Thanks for posting Billy! Unbelievable day on the water. Blue Marlin, Spearfish and don't forget the misc. tuna and skipjack which is what these fish gotta be eating.....

Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
    Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
    Blue Marlin and spearfish on the North 9?? Geez. Meanwhile I'm getting the snot beat out of me on the 371 trying to catch small tuna. Maybe I should just take the kayak out to the 9 and see what happens :)

Great job! Thanks for posting pictures of your rare catch!

Upvote 0