Almost A Member
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
Hi ALL,
I have a aftermarket knob installed but it’s does not spin as smooth as I would like. If I loosen the screw about 1/4 turn it will spin smooth, not too lose, no play between knob and arm (perfect!) :-) . I know I cannot fish it this way as the screw will “undo” itself one day and knob will come off. So I was thinking using blue loctile to hold screw in the “perfect” position. What’s your take on this?
Thoughts ?

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Yes red is stronger, it's possible blue might get hot enough if left in the hot sun for awhile. I don't think the screw would back out all the way but might get loose a little. Should work ok

Reactions: Explorer1

KXKH

Almost A Member
Feb 28, 2018
NorCal
Name
Boat
19' Hobie
If I had to use blue loctite because the knob won't install properly and has a chance of the screw backing out, I wouldn't use the knob at all, I'd start looking for something else. Fighting an angry freight train fish without a knob on the handle is a nightmare, I never want to experience that again.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Find out what is binding. A washer may solve your problem without need for thread lock.

You could use a nylock nut....It probably should already be a nylock....but something is wrong with your handle.

zoner

Apr 17, 2018
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
none
Red Loctite is the strongest followed by the blue. Even the blue is strong enough that if you need to disassemble you can break small screws trying to take things apart. If you're going to use loctite and you may need to disassemble later the right choice is purple loctite.

Explorer1

Almost A Member
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
Not sure how the mentioned “Nylock” going in here.

8CCE0F87-79E2-4D7A-941D-3623F997420E.jpeg

Da Mad Anglah

Old fut who still misses home on da islands
Oct 21, 2020
Idaho (and sometimes Honolulu)
Name
Chris
Boat
'93 18' Weldcraft "Rod Rage"
Not trying to take away from the OP's post, but don't forget Loctite Orange, the strength of red (well, almost) and the ability to remove like blue.
I'd try blue if you already have it, as its pretty expensive for the stuff and just to have one little dab of it would suck to have to buy, but if you have to (and nobody you know has either) then go with orange.
Only use a VERY SMALL AMOUNT! It doesn't take much for what you're trying to do!!! About the size of a pinhead is really all you'll probably need to hold it in place permanently, yet still be able to remove, most likely without heat too (as I've done with 8mm nuts/bolts and orange), but you can just leave out in the hot sun and that should be enough to free the screw you're using with orange on it.
Hope it turns out good for ya!
Chris

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    It looks like the outer bearing and screw retain the handle. The handle may not be machined correctly and is causing thrust on the larger inner bearing when the screw is tightened.

You need a small washer that rides on the shaft inside of the outer bearing so that the screw will tighten against the inner race of the outer bearing before loading the inner bearing.

Test with the small washer in your image, put it on the other side of the bearing.

Reactions: Derby and Explorer1