Offshore Blue Fin Tuna in close 9-27-2021

16glaspar

Nov 15, 2008
Lemon grove ca
Name
Rick
Boat
16' Glaspar Citation
Here's the short version, Left the docks yesterday 09-27-2021 at 10:00 am. Picked up some mixed bait at the bait barge mainly 6-8" inch sardines and mackerel. Headed towards the 9 mile then towards the 302. Found a paddy with nothing picked a few marks while drifting near the paddy so dropped troll lines in and started trolling. Around 11 south west of the Coronado's I hear what sounds like a female voice in the distance and notice one of my lines is just about spooled. Starting winding in on my spool which just happened to be my oldest setup ( Penn 500 jigmaster on a ulgy stik). Thought I was caught on some kelp and when half my line was back on my reel it started to pull line out and I said right on feels like a small 10lb skipjack. Well two and a half hours later its a blue fin. I've caught blue fin before and yellowfin this size but they never fought like this before. I am sore today. There is blue fin in our local waters when I got him to the boat my fish finder went off. Huge schools of fish swimming around my boat. I have video of my sounder going off for almost an hour during the fight. Go out and get-em!

Water temp 68-70 stayed on the temp break. Trolled a 6oz. buck tail yellowish silver (Dan Hernadez) #30 braid with #30 flouro. My BFT seem to want to bite the older equipment and smaller line. Makes for long fight...

1eTNMEZA.jpeg

7KyTspbQ.jpeg

6Rpr2u1Q.jpeg

Blue Fin 09-27-2021.jpeg

Last edited:

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I had the same 16' Glaspar when I was 16; only mine had a wrap around 1 piece windshield and a 6 cylinder 100HP Merc Outboard. It had those back to back seats and it drank gas like no other. Converted Trash can for a bait tank and we were in business chasing yellows off LJ those were the days!

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Congratulations and Thanks for the Report!

Did the Jigmaster come with the boat when they were both new?
    You took that out to the 302 :eek:

Upvote 0