Blue Fin every where !!

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by yessokk, Dec 17, 2017.

1. b-reel

b-reel Member

Name:
    HP
    Boat:
    none yet
    Yup, God is good.

spearbodj likes this.
  2. yessokk

yessokk Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Walt
    Boat:
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Yes,,,, 1 turn every 4-5 seconds this is important don't get impatient and start reeling faster. I slow reel in until about 3/4 of the way in then speed crank in to change out the bait. All of my hits came during the first half of the retrieve .....away from the boat.

3. tunawhacker

tunawhacker Newbie

Name:
    Ed Sun
    Boat:
    16ft Nona (canoe)
    Thanks for the tip. I have found that to be effective as well. I do it with two slight variations: 1. I shoulder hook the bait. the bait digs deeper that way, like a slant face lure (eg: Marauder), and they are less likely to get foul hooked. 2. when I use lever drag, I usually put less drag on it, like half way between free and strike. I believe that when a fish hitting the bait at high speed, there is less chance of it getting ripped off from the hook. That might not have been necessary for smaller 4 inch baits in Walt's case. my $0.02.

Tunahead and yessokk like this.
  4. yessokk

yessokk Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Walt
    Boat:
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    I like the shoulder hooking idea. Adding the wt. 2-3 ft in front of the bait helps to get it down. Regarding the drag setting I don't know if that is a benefit. All 4 caught on the slow retrieve had about 6 lbs of drag all 4 got hooked on the strike. I will need more experience with the technique to make a determination.
    It is certainly something to consider implementing.
    Thanks for the additional suggestions. Everything helps.
    Walt

Tunahead likes this.
  5. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Great report and info Walt, glad you got out and got some. I'm foaming a
    week off #8 deltoid surgery and healing fast feels like. Hope to be back
    in the game come spring again. Good to see you,Cory, others out fishing. LOL

6. Cabrachupa

Cabrachupa Iron & Wine

Name:
    Mick Reilly
    Boat:
    No Boat
    Good solid report with the critical details..... nice one!!

7. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    If they don't inhale it on the retrieve and you just feel something other than the slight struggle of the bait, flip it into free spool and watch the line come ripping off. Then it's you're standard fly line bite, wait 3 seconds and put it in gear. I learned this the hard way after having the first bite on the retrieve just feel like the bait turning it's head a bit more than normal, as I'd experienced before, then half my spool was gone. Hook pulled and line wasn't chafed so it didn't pull out of the soft flesh inside the mouth. Fish didn't swallow the hook, short bit the bait. Had it happen exactly the same a few more times, went into free spool and waited for the the fish to take off and run, didn't have that problem.