Ctony.clark

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 14, 2012
Carlsbad, Ca, u.s.a.
Name
Tony Clark
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
This afternoon the SAC legal office in Mexico City received verbal notice from CONAPESCA that recreational fishing for bluefin tuna can resume in Mexican waters immediately.

SAC has been informed that the written notification should be available on Monday morning for dissemination to the public. We appreciate CONAPESCA and their leadership for working hard to promote recreational fishing in Mexico.
SAC will continue to work with their associate members in Mexico to promote Mexico sportfishing and improved regional tourism.

A Thank You to all that voiced their opinions and CONAPESCA for taking these actions.

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
Jul 30, 2008
San Diego
cox.net
Name
Rob
Boat
Sea swirl Striper
One week after the ban was announced, the bite was in US waters. Most PBers avoided the islands and Mexican waters for that matter.

Its alway political and financially motivated, so think about the impact of what less Mexican fishing licenses would do to their already declining tourism. I guaranty that the purchases have declined since the FMM permits and now the Blue fin ban.. so reversing the ban is what makes financial cents, that's my .02 cents!

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
It is what it is. Let it go at that and be thankful. Thanks to Ken Franke and SAC and muchas gracias a CONAPESCA.

With recent catches of triple digit Bluefin in U.S. waters, hope it's still biting below the border. Let's go fishing!

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
Don't need to now. We're getting big dawgs north of the border :loverz:

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
In my work I recently saw a document about sustainable energy where they discussed tidal energy, etc. In that document they got into (for some reason) the financial impact of sportfishing in California and the numbers were staggering: Somewhere over $1B and 20,000 jobs, or something like that. I was blown away, skeptical even. Closures like this have a huge impact. Huge.

I was getting ready to do my annual SD LR trip soon and ended up pulling the plug. I have been contemplating looking north for albies and other fish and this prompted me to pull the trigger on that. I certainly plan to get back to SD, maybe early next year (trying to beat any stupid quota-induced closure). But, I just couldn't see spending the time and money to face the prospect of releasing a fat bluefin at the rail. I know it's no big deal for a lot of guys ("Who cares? Go fishing. Be grateful...."). But, loading the freezer is half the fun for me. My wife and kids really love the meals we make from my catch.

I also am curious if this has prompted LR operations to start looking west and NW from SD for future trips. Can't help but think there are some good tuna grounds out past the islands. It often seemed that the default was to exit the harbor and turn south (for good reason, of course). Maybe this will help the learning curve on that.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Dave, yes to your question about fishing U.S. waters for Bluefin by the LR operations. But now, with them relaxing the ban in Mexican waters it has opened things back up again. Win win for us.

Reactions: Abaco