Blown anti reverse in a new Boss 600 DPX2 Dawg!!!

[email protected]

http://www.accuratefishing.com
Apr 16, 2010
San Clemente, CA
www.accuratefishing.com
Name
Ben Secrest
Boat
Klamath 18
Blew out my anti reverse in my 600 DPX2 Dawg on a 8lb ling cod. The reason I bought this model was due to the advertised strong anti reverse. This was the reel's third outing and has never had a load of more than a 15lb fish. What's my next move???
Send back the reel and we will make it right. Please include note and send it to Service attn: Kristin

Reactions: bparker1225

walkerman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
I used to fish accurates almost exclusively and had 8 or 10 of them,now i dont own any,sad but they did it to themselves.

I have accurates, averts, shimanos daiwas and penns. Honestly, I like them all. Even if one of my Avets has a hole where I reversed the lug. None of them is perfect, but they have all done the job for me.

marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Me too and I never asked accurate to be perfect but when you pay 500 a reel they should continue to make parts for and service them even after they build new models...

BloodyL

Throwing everything I got
Jan 4, 2009
Placentia
Name
Mick
Boat
The Beach
Great reels!
Service dept->Nope!

viortiz

Oct 2, 2009
Buena Park
Name
Vic
Boat
Intrepid.
Vic,
Were you the original owner of this BX2 400? I can't imagine why the drag washers needed to be replaced after only four or five fish unless maybe they were 500# East Coast bluefin. Something must have fouled or glazed the drag washers to a severe degree. Did Accurate send the bad ones back to you? I was under the impression that these washers can withstand miles of drag pressure before requiring replacement due to the fact that the twin drag design distributes even pressure on both sides of the spool. Maybe some lubricant other than Cal's grease was applied to the washers.
I bought it brand new from Charkbait. They had a sale on them because the new Dogpound just arrived. I really liked the reel other than one day after coming back from a 1 1/2 day the spoil would not spin. I drove to Corona and the lady at the front desk told me she new what was wrong with it. The post when I tighten them one of them was hitting the spool. I think that's just a bad design. I used the reel with 65lb spectra and 30lb top shot. I don't believe I caught a Tuna or Yellowtail over 40lb on it. They did send back the old anti reverse barring but not the drags. I to agree there should of been no reason to replace the drags. I had a penn jig master as a kid and caught hundreds of fish and didn't even know what drag washers were.

viortiz

Oct 2, 2009
Buena Park
Name
Vic
Boat
Intrepid.
Good to know, Vic. That's weird. I've never had to replace drag washers in any of the Accurate's I've owned over the years. I guess if there's something hitting the spool where it shouldn't, it could prematurely damage the drag washers as they might have become tweaked out of balance so they don't apply pressure evenly across the entire drag surface.
Do any gear heads out there know if this seems possible? What are some likely scenarios for having to replace Accurate drag washers after only a short usage?
FYI, I am NOT bashing Accurate. I just want to learn how something like this can happen. Cheers...
I must of confused you and not given detail info. The Drags are a total different problem then the spool locking up. Let me explain. The posts screw into the bottom of the reel so you can put on a reel seat. I use deckhand rods. The treads from the reel are drill all the way through. So when you tighten the posts to put on a rod and clamp they would go through the reel and hit the spool causing it to lock up.

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
I have a Penn Baja Special where the rim on one side of the spool was scored from contacting a reel clamp stud, which I think is what Viortiz is talking about above. I re-adjusted everything and solved the proximate problem, but the spool on one of my 3 Baja Specials is scored on one side. Not the end of the world, but still not necessary from such a venerable brand, and so it seems to be the same in this instance with Accurate.

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
Getting off topic, but how do you service anti reverse bearings?

I have had several reels where they started to fail or generally feel like they were in need of servicing. When I took them apart, The ARB's I have seen are pretty cheap looking, stamped steel (from a $150 dollar Penn Spinfisher and from Lamson and Reddington fly reels). They do not seem to like the salt water :)

Day0ne

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Getting off topic, but how do you service anti reverse bearings?

I have had several reels where they started to fail or generally feel like they were in need of servicing. When I took them apart, The ARB's I have seen are pretty cheap looking, stamped steel (from a $150 dollar Penn Spinfisher and from Lamson and Reddington fly reels). They do not seem to like the salt water :)
Go to alantani.com and look around. you will find several threads on servicing ARB's. Basically you clean them and use Corrosion X on them.

Shimano ARB - stands for anti-rust bearings. Doesn't have anything to do with anti reverse. I can be mistaken.
You are. ARB is Anti Reverse Bearing.

Reactions: jerryl

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Accurate uses a mix of Corrosion-X and Cal's Universal Grease for their ARB (just a standard way of talking about one way clutches that is usually recognized).

The general idea is that you flush with a little oil to get out any old grease or corrosion and then the mix of oil and Cal's makes for a lighter lube that protects well when you are done cleaning. Spinning the shaft or sleeve that fits inside the clutch will work the rollers and mix the oil with whatever old gunk is in there to flush it out. Keep working it until the oil coming out is perfectly clear.

Any marine grease can be cut with Corrosion-x to lighten it enough to be used as well for protecting lube. Too thick and the rollers will not move freely enough (especially in very cold weather) causing failure of the anti-reverse.

If the ARB is removable they can be soaked in the solvent of your choice to remove gunk/corrosion, pressed in bearings have to be massaged as above.