Blown anti reverse in a new Boss 600 DPX2 Dawg!!!

big dog62

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
Blew out my anti reverse in my 600 DPX2 Dawg on a 8lb ling cod. The reason I bought this model was due to the advertised strong anti reverse. This was the reel's third outing and has never had a load of more than a 15lb fish. What's my next move???

BloodyL

Throwing everything I got
Jan 4, 2009
Placentia
Name
Mick
Boat
The Beach
:rockin:You have to hook a fish big enough to activate the anti reverse mechanism on the 600 size reel

big dog62

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
We need to know "the rest of the story."
Not much more to tell, was out on a 2 1/2 day, bottom trip. The reel caught a few reds, then hooked the ling, as I got it close to the surface, went to lift the fish to gaff, and the reel spun backwards. No noise, no prior warning signs, worked fine until then.???

OnoEric

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
Like Chad said above. Give Accurate a call. It's a piece of machinery built by humans. Shit happens. Sometimes things break that shouldn't break. I'd be upset too. But it's all about how the company supports their product. They should take care of you.

Reactions: al_n_vb757

cudun

Aug 30, 2005
ORANGE COUNTY, CA
Name
LUAN
Boat
26' Grady White CC & 2530 Parker
send it back to accurate. Call them 951-479-0909. No need to air your dissatisfaction, I am sure they will take care of it.
So it is ok to praise a product and "air your satisfaction" but not the contrary? I thought it works both ways. I love the performance of my BX2s but they're now sitting in my glass case as art works as I prefer the ease of maintenance of the Talicas.

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
Yes. Had this been a technical review of the reels fault that would be helpful to the bd community. Good story about the talicas bro.

Mr GreenJeans

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
So it is ok to praise a product and "air your satisfaction" but not the contrary? I thought it works both ways. I love the performance of my BX2s but they're now sitting in my glass case as art works as I prefer the ease of maintenance of the Talicas.
IMO it works both ways. If there is a pattern of failure I would be interested in hearing about it. The only way to see a pattern is if people post about it. Pretty amazing that the dog system would fail, as it should be pretty bullet proof. Please follow up with a post on what Accurate has to say about why it failed.

big dog62

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
IMO it works both ways. If there is a pattern of failure I would be interested in hearing about it. The only way to see a pattern is if people post about it. Pretty amazing that the dog system would fail, as it should be pretty bullet proof. Please follow up with a post on what Accurate has to say about why it failed.
Will do, just mailed it

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Will do, just mailed it
they will take care of you' that is why I buy good Quality gear so when you have a problem they back their product
remember in this world the only thing that is perfect is our Wife's that what she keeps telling me.

mitchman

Feb 19, 2007
cape cod
Name
Mitchell Buck
Boat
none
I would suspect that the dogs failed to engage, but this would be surprising as I believe that they are spring loaded.....

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
the grease may have congealed or is contaminated with salt crystals around the dogs and prevented them from engaging. A cold morning can exacerbate the problem.

big dog62

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
Well, just got the reels back today, ( sent a 665H for service also ). No real explanation to why the reel failed, just a list of parts replaced, side plate bearing, ar bearing, gear shaft bushing .105 and .315, and 3 anti reverse springs . The bill was $34.30 after they knocked $28.00 worth of parts off. The bill for the 665H was $70.75 plus $19.20 for shipping.

One thing they did say was that they recommend servicing every year. Living up here in nor cal, it's a 40 dollar bill, round trip, to send these reels to Accurate. You know, when the DPX2-600N failed, I remember leaning up against the rail, watching the other guys fishing on. I kinda felt like the guy who was broke down on the freeway, leaning against his high dollar sports car, watching all the Hondas and Toyotas drive by. I'm sure Accurate is a fine product for a lot of people, but for me, I think I will go in a different direction.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Well, just got the reels back today, ( sent a 665H for service also ). No real explanation to why the reel failed, just a list of parts replaced, side plate bearing, ar bearing, gear shaft bushing .105 and .315, and 3 anti reverse springs . The bill was $34.30 after they knocked $28.00 worth of parts off. The bill for the 665H was $70.75 plus $19.20 for shipping.

One thing they did say was that they recommend servicing every year. Living up here in nor cal, it's a 40 dollar bill, round trip, to send these reels to Accurate. You know, when the DPX2-600N failed, I remember leaning up against the rail, watching the other guys fishing on. I kinda felt like the guy who was broke down on the freeway, leaning against his high dollar sports car, watching all the Hondas and Toyotas drive by. I'm sure Accurate is a fine product for a lot of people, but for me, I think I will go in a different direction.
They are not hard to service and you can easily do it yourself with a few tools.

Sounds like this was the AR Bearing only model? It would be amazing that both a bearing and multiple dogs when out at the same time?

The AR bearings are in the handle and require regular care to not have trouble. The dogs can be added to your reel as a back up and are plenty reliable enough on their own.

If you want the convenience of an ARB for instant anti-reverse then they MUST be serviced regularly or this is inevitable.

Michael T.

Apr 12, 2015
Lucerne Valley, California
Name
Michael T.
Boat
Nitro 170 TF
They are not hard to service and you can easily do it yourself with a few tools.

Sounds like this was the AR Bearing only model? It would be amazing that both a bearing and multiple dogs when out at the same time?

The AR bearings are in the handle and require regular care to not have trouble. The dogs can be added to your reel as a back up and are plenty reliable enough on their own.

If you want the convenience of an ARB for instant anti-reverse then they MUST be serviced regularly or this is inevitable.

Hey There johndtuttle,

What is going on in that Tuna Boil...how big are those fish and where was this photo taken.....?....Absolutly Awesome....

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Hey There johndtuttle,

What is going on in that Tuna Boil...how big are those fish and where was this photo taken.....?....Absolutely Awesome....
Panama. 40-150++lbers.

viortiz

Oct 2, 2009
Buena Park
Name
Vic
Boat
Intrepid.
No, of course not... I brought an extra pair of underwear too. :D
I had a BX2 400 that I only caught four to five fish on. I wanted the stainless AR and sleeve so I sent it in after getting a quote on them and the shipping and service fee. When I checked my credit card bill I noticed there was an additional $50 dollar charge from the original quote. So I called accurate to find out why. The lady told me that they replaced two carbon washers at $25 dollars each. I was upset because no one ever called me to tell me this. They just replaced them and charged me. I told the lady that I only caught four fish with this reel it shouldn't need new drags. I store all my reels in free spool with the clicker on. Needless to say I had seven Accurates. I now have seven Okuma Makiras with free service for five years. I can't afford $75 dollars per reel every year X7.

marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
I used to fish accurates almost exclusively and had 8 or 10 of them,now i dont own any,sad but they did it to themselves.

[email protected]

http://www.accuratefishing.com
Apr 16, 2010
San Clemente, CA
www.accuratefishing.com
Name
Ben Secrest
Boat
Klamath 18
Blew out my anti reverse in my 600 DPX2 Dawg on a 8lb ling cod. The reason I bought this model was due to the advertised strong anti reverse. This was the reel's third outing and has never had a load of more than a 15lb fish. What's my next move???
Send back the reel and we will make it right. Please include note and send it to Service attn: Kristin

Reactions: bparker1225

walkerman

May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
I used to fish accurates almost exclusively and had 8 or 10 of them,now i dont own any,sad but they did it to themselves.

I have accurates, averts, shimanos daiwas and penns. Honestly, I like them all. Even if one of my Avets has a hole where I reversed the lug. None of them is perfect, but they have all done the job for me.

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Me too and I never asked accurate to be perfect but when you pay 500 a reel they should continue to make parts for and service them even after they build new models...

BloodyL

Throwing everything I got
Jan 4, 2009
Placentia
Name
Mick
Boat
The Beach
Great reels!
Service dept->Nope!