I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 18, 2010
Kalama Valley, HI
Name
JD
Boat
24' Alii Kai "Goose"
Howzit gang,

We decided to try something new on Saturday. Friday I put the boat in the water at Hawaii Kai and docked her at our friend's house. Dropped the trailer at Waianae, went back got on the boat and started fishing our way west. Launched about 5AM.

GPS wouldn't work so I tried to aim us towards HH by memory. About 10:15 center rigger slams down. Taking line like a freight train. 30 minutes later we get him in the boat. He fought like a champ. 187 pounds G & G.

GPS came on a little later; we figure we were about 25-28 miles outside barbers when we hooked up. No more hits the whole way to the barn. Was stoked to stay dry the whole day, and score this fatty.

Aloha,
JD

Attachments

Blue Ice

Apr 2, 2010
Oahu/Hawaii
Name
Big B
Boat
2670 Glacier Bay "Maddie Girl"
JD,

Good plan with launching HK and ending at waianae. That's a nice toad you got too!

Big B

Pacific Lures

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 19, 2012
Hawaii
www.pacificlures.com
Name
Kawika
Boat
Melanie M
Nice Going, Thats a Good Size Ahi...

KIWI808

Jul 28, 2009
Hawaii Kai
Name
mark Kalaugher
Boat
745 Extreme
Nice fish!
Gotta love the downhill run!
Cheers

BluePabst

Jun 1, 2012
Somewhere between heaven and hell
Name
Phil
Boat
Bertram 30
GPS wouldn't work so I tried to aim us towards HH by memory. About 10:15 center rigger slams down. Taking line like a freight train. 30 minutes later we get him in the boat. He fought like a champ. 187 pounds G & G.
:rofl:Blind squirrel found a nut :rofl: great fish man!

jd808

Jan 18, 2010
Kalama Valley, HI
Name
JD
Boat
24' Alii Kai "Goose"
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Forgot to mention we caught this guy on 9" Tsutomu lure. Thanks G; this lure is our most constant performer, permanent spot on the stinger. It has caught ahi, mahi, ono, and marlin. Highly recommend Tsutomu lures.

JD

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Dear Mr. Squirrel and crew,
That's a mighty fine nut you have found there. Not too often does one get to ride down sea for the whole trip, great ahi!!! Way to go JD.

Cheers
Pat

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
Way to go! Not only did the blind squirrel find a big tasty nut but it also kicked any monkeys off the boat. Can't do much better than that; go get another and congrats on a very nice catch.

J_B

Captain
Feb 8, 2010
Kilauea, HI
Name
JB
Boat
21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
Nice Ahi congrats. Laffed my ass off when I read "blind squirrel found a nut".:hali_olutta:

BretPeavy

fishing and dishing
Feb 1, 2010
Mililani, HI
Name
Bret
Boat
wish I had one
:Dynamite:The cookie hole in the bottom of the fish hurt us at the block. Can anyone give me an idea of what punched a hole on our fish? I have never seen this before.

jd808

Jan 18, 2010
Kalama Valley, HI
Name
JD
Boat
24' Alii Kai "Goose"
Courtland, Pat, JB & G,

Thanks for the kind words guys. Price low on the ahi cause had cookie cutter bite out of his stomach. Is this very common? Aside from this Ahi, we've caught a mahi with one cookie cutter bite. Buggas must be fast huh to bite pelagics?

JD

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
JD and crew,
Congrats on your nice Ahi! I know how that feeling is when the GPS is not working .....almost like fishing in the blind! You know that fish was meant to be when you are given those kinds of challenges and still catch. Regarding the cookie cutter hole....good thing the hole was by the anal hole! If it was on the side of the fish or closer to your prime cuts I'm sure the price would have been lower.....BTW, what did you get for your fish? Sounds like the going prices ranged from $4-$5.50/lb. for ahi in good condition. On your check stub did UFA have a comment like CC (cookie cutter), GF (gaff),etc? If not, the price you got was just the going price that day.

jd808

Jan 18, 2010
Kalama Valley, HI
Name
JD
Boat
24' Alii Kai "Goose"
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Russ, we got $3.50/lb. because of the cookie cutter and my spaztic gaff job. Oh well, still more than we had when we left the dock.

Aloha,
JD