Bleeding Hydraulics Recommendation

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
I have a Parker 2310 with a Simrad Ap22 system. I did a standard bleed on my hydraulics a few months ago because i could feel a few bubbles. I followed Seastars instructions to a "T." The steering is much better but if i turn the wheel very slowly I can do multiple rotations before the motor actually turns. If I make a sharp turn the steering is instant. the only thing I can think of is that there was still some bubbles in the hydraulics from the AutoPilot. Does anyone have a recommendation on someone mobile with a power purge who would do a full bleed and refill on my system, and what it would cost? I would like someone to do it right with a power system for peace of mind. I'm located in Huntington Beach

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Is the boat on a trailer? If it is take it over to Tony at Fishing Boats Unlimited in Costa Mesa. He did mine with his power purge, in and a out of there in a couple minutes. Didn't even unhook the trailer.

Upvote 0

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
    Fountain Valley, Ca
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2310WA
    I would prefer to not dump all the money into a purge system myself for something that doesnt need to be done that often.
    Can you give me an idea on what tony charged you? i understand it may favor but an idea would be great

Upvote 0

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
    Fountain Valley, Ca
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2310WA
    did you install a vent line or just tee into the lines?
    i went from bleed valve to bleed valve on the motor and then out of the steering column with a hole in the bottle and watched lots of bubbles work their way up the tube from the helm in into the bottle and fluid was worked in.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
    Aug 23, 2004
    Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
    Name
    RICK
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    where's your pump ? it should be mounted above the steering ram. ideally , if you can , just put the tees on the pump , and run your hoses from the engine directly to the pump, and from the pump directly to the helm , you'll need to hook up the vent line from the pump to the helm. stay away from the hard nylon tubing. use 5/16" hydraulic hose with reusable fittings.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    this is how i did mine. easy!

Upvote 0

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
    Fountain Valley, Ca
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2310WA
    Yep pretty much identical to the seastar instructions and the way I did it, but I think there are bubbles In the autopilot system...I spoke with tony and fishing boats unlimited and after explaining the situation to him he thinks there is a bad seal or valve on the helm pump and is going to check it out for me next week

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    Yep pretty much identical to the seastar instructions and the way I did it, but I think there are bubbles In the autopilot system...I spoke with tony and fishing boats unlimited and after explaining the situation to him he thinks there is a bad seal or valve on the helm pump and is going to check it out for me next week
    one thing that messed me up at first was i had a high spot in one of my hoses. make sure your hoses run uphill towards the helm. otherwise air will get trapped at any high spot.

Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
    Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat
    Trophy 2509
    I invested in a Power Purge Jr unit a few years back.....one of the best purchases I’ve made for my boat.

Actually have used it to purge the hydraulic steering systems of several guys from here on BD.....they each threw me between $60-$150 cash for the favor/service.
    A couple of them trailered their boats over to my house in Seal Beach, and a few guys have paid me to come out to their boats to perform a purge on location.

Pretty hard to beat being able to know for 100% certain that you flushed ALL of the air out of your system, and any issues or weird occurrences continuing after that are not resulting from air bubbles stuck in the works.

Upvote 0