thomasfishing

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 3, 2006
westminster
Name
Thomas
Boat
1851 seaswirl striper WA & 2601 Striper
Got a hall pass from the wife to go hooping. Call around and finally go one brave soul to go. Wife's brother, although he thought I was nuts going in this weather, but he was game. Saw the red flag on the pole but I knew lobster love this weather. Game plan was to hoop in the long beach area, but when we got out of the harbor, it was pretty calm. Little sprinkles here and there, but nothing too bad. Decided to go south and hit the Izors. I figure if the storm got worst I can ride the wave in and we are alot close to home than from long beach. Best decision ever! Long story short left at 4pm got home at 7pm. Drop one set of 10 nets for double limits. Now before some of you guys give me grief about disclosing locations, Izor reef is a pretty big area. Just trying to give the new guys some sense of directions. Nonetheless the moral of the story is, There are lobsters at the Izors. Only drawback is, I did most of the pulling in 80ft-90ft of water and that was no picnic in the park. Then again when you get limits like this who complaining.

Attachments

• fishing 7 22 07 045.jpg
    fishing 7 22 07 045.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Pulling at 80-90 feet is not big deal for 10 nets.
The minute you have to pull multiple sets at that depth, BY HAND, I agree completely.
Please tell me you did not have a machine doing the work for you?
Congratulations, great job!

Upvote 0

thomasfishing

Feb 3, 2006
westminster
Name
Thomas
Boat
Pulling at 80-90 feet is not big deal for 10 nets.
The minute you have to pull multiple sets at that depth, BY HAND, I agree completely.
Please tell me you did not have a machine doing the work for you?
Congratulations, great job!

Old fashion hand pulling. One thing for sure is my back and arms are paying for it now.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Old fashion hand pulling. One thing for sure is my back and arms are paying for it now.

Agreed, and all I'm saying is you do 3 trips at Catalina in that ripping uphill current at 75 - 90 feet and after that it will come naturally for 3 sets on your next trip. IMO.
After 3 sets it's time to tag someone else in at that depth!

As the season moves on make sure you know where the Lobsters are in 40 feet or less, at all times, wherever you can find them.
This way you do not need to be pulling from those deeper depths.

Upvote 0

thomasfishing

Feb 3, 2006
westminster
Name
Thomas
Boat
I use to think like that, but with the amount of structures that I see there, I had to try and got paid off. Like I said the Izor is a big reef scatter all over in a big area. I have the exact numbers but that wouldn't be fun if I gave it to you. In fact now that I think about, You are right there is no lobster there, they are all in the long beach area. LOL.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Nice job Thomas! I had a night like that a few seasons ago...got 12 bugs in the first set of 10 nets...we got greedy, took another 3.5 hours to get the last 2 LOL.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
LOL, super greedy! We would have been long gone bro! hahahaha

:rofl: no shit...but you tell yourself, "shit, the next set is going to have at least six or seven legals, and we can cull some out"....nope...we kept pulling empty nets, maybe one or two shorts...then kept saying, "ok.. one more try" LOL LOL

Had a night like that at Cat once...three guys, first set, 8 legals..thinking its going to be a early night...NOPE..ended up with 10 bugs, and worked until 3 am. You just never know.

Thomas...you SOB. :)

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
:rofl: no shit...but you tell yourself, "shit, the next set is going to have at least six or seven legals, and we can cull some out"....nope...we kept pulling empty nets, maybe one or two shorts...then kept saying, "ok.. one more try" LOL LOL

Had a night like that at Cat once...three guys, first set, 8 legals..thinking its going to be a early night...NOPE..ended up with 10 bugs, and worked until 3 am. You just never know.

Thomas...you SOB. :)

Another part of the the hooping cycle is knowing when they shut down = stop walking.
I've stopped counting how many nights with 13 legals and 2 guys because I shut it down immediately based on events or lack of events.
Ya gotta know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em, works in poker too

Upvote 0

JTjigger

Jul 30, 2010
california
Way to go dude. I have caught them there before on a few spots before. It is a great place to hoop if you put the time in to learn where they are, just sayin' if you have not caught any here like I did for a few trips, I put my time in and caught some, just sayin'

Upvote 0