Blanks for Rockfishing

Carter W.

Aug 6, 2019
Newport Beach
Name
Carter W.
Boat
Nonexistent
Gearing up for this coming Rockfish season and am looking a new rod for versatile for combo that I can also use for Calico. This will be matched with Daiwa Lexa 300 probably the HD models but maybe the WN. Is there any weight or specific blank that I should consider buying?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and feedback

Last edited:

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
I use that reel, level wind and 50 braid. Have it on a heavier Californian Calico Special from Turners. Love it.

johnny_bass

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 26, 2017
Diamond Bar
Name
Johnny
Boat
SoCal Cattle Rancher
I like fishing rockfish with 20-40 lb rod if you're not too deep and maybe a 30-60 if you're using heavier weight. Also, longer rods are a pain in the ass imo, for rockfishing 8' or shorter works better

Reactions: CommanderPinhead

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
Gearing up for this coming Rockfish season and am looking a new blank for a custom I’m making. I’m planning to pair it with a Abu Garcia Ambassador 5600. Is there any weight or specific blank that I should consider buying?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and feedback
700L is what I use. Works just fine.

agarcia

May 19, 2006
Nor*Cal
Name
Art Garcia
Boat
rowboat
I built a United Composite US 80 Mag last year and it’s been pretty versatile. I wrapped it als a bass rod with a split grip and put a curado 300 on it. Its my go to for bass (3-6oz swimbaits) but had it pulling double duty for inshore striper/halibut and rockfish up to 10oz of weight (iirc 10 ozs was maxed out and probably pushing it a bit).
Also built a CE 80 Mega but prefer the lifting power on the US model for rockfish.