Dbado1

Almost A Member
  • Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat
    Toyota tundra
    I've been wanting to build an old school rod on a 270-8h or a 6480 blank. Getting the blank has been impossible because no one will ship a 8' blank! The confusing part is that some blank manufacturers/vendors will ship the 8' for about $35 (Phenix). Others won't ship them at all and no private sellers (on this forum) will ship them period. I've thought about asking the private sellers if they would be willing to chop 2" from the butt to avoid the over size fee and then ship (after I bought the blank, of course) but dont want to be a PITA. I cannot find a vendor that has the Seeker or Calstar blanks in stock anywhere. Very frustrating.....!!!
    Okay, rant over.
    So, I'm thinking about scrubbing the 270-8h project and doing another Thrasher build on one of their blanks that would closely mimick the action of the 270-8h. It would be for fishing 25-30# live bait with a Penn Fathom 2 15sdcs reel. Thinking the 7'10" Raw 84. What do you guys think? Thanks!
    Dean

Reactions: kuyamonster
    Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat
    Limited load cattle car
    Hi Dean! Hope you're well in AZ! 😁 RAW 84 blank is a really close match and will work with that Penn star drag. If you want a little more softness in the tip for casting, try building on the TRF80M blank. It will handle 25-30 line no problem. I built one and used it last season on the 10-15 lb dorado and schoolie 15-25 lb yellowfin offshore in San Diego/Mexico. It easily whipped a 20+ lb yellowtail as well. It's equally adept flinging live bait but my favorite use for it was tossing Daiwa SP minnows or small poppers like the Halco 105. And I hear you on oversized shipping costs nowadays! 😳 I like the fact that Jason Champion ships any of his Thrasher blanks (even over 8 foot) for a flat $35, all safely wrapped in a PVC tube. (FREE shipping included if your blank purchase is $400+) Cheers on your new build whichever route you go, brother...🐟

Reactions: sealskinner
    Upvote 0

Dbado1

Almost A Member
  • Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat
    Toyota tundra
    Hey Marcel, all is well here. Thanks!
    Thank you for the suggestions. I'll check out the 80M. Do you think the Raw 84 could fish 40#?
    Yes, Jason runs a first rate shop. His shipping policy was one of the things that was puzzling me about the other sellers. He ships 8' blanks at a flat $35 with no problems... yet these other guys act like you just asked them to do the un-thinkable. Jason certainly does not build any shipping costs in to the cost of the blank!
    BTW- what reel seat did you put on that 80M? Thanks again!
    Dean

kuyamonster
    kuyamonster
    Yeah, he's not making much money on shipping. He'll even ship the 9 footer's at a flat $35 fee. I used an Alps CAH-18 since it has the cushioned hood and the blank on the 80M is small diameter. Perfect seat for my Lexa 400 or Komodo SS. Go with the Alps CAH-20 if you want a little more hood space to accommodate different sized reel feet. You'll just have to arbor up a bit more before gluing seat...
    Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
    northwest
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    none
    Try Jamie at Bob Sands, He has shipped me three 8 foot rods in the past, not sure he has what your looking for though. ..I'm not sure what the big deal is, If you keep the shipping tube down to 3" the measurements work out with an 8' rod, leaving a little space top and bottom for a bit of foam

Reactions: Warlord and Dbado1
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I've been wanting to build an old school rod on a 270-8h or a 6480 blank. Getting the blank has been impossible because no one will ship a 8' blank! The confusing part is that some blank manufacturers/vendors will ship the 8' for about $35 (Phenix). Others won't ship them at all and no private sellers (on this forum) will ship them period. I've thought about asking the private sellers if they would be willing to chop 2" from the butt to avoid the over size fee and then ship (after I bought the blank, of course) but dont want to be a PITA. I cannot find a vendor that has the Seeker or Calstar blanks in stock anywhere. Very frustrating.....!!!
    Okay, rant over.
    So, I'm thinking about scrubbing the 270-8h project and doing another Thrasher build on one of their blanks that would closely mimick the action of the 270-8h. It would be for fishing 25-30# live bait with a Penn Fathom 2 15sdcs reel. Thinking the 7'10" Raw 84. What do you guys think? Thanks!
    Dean
    Be patience, it takes awhile to get back up to capasity, after this 19, stuff.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    Unfortunately shipping cost will be going up dramatically for all size packages in the near future. I usually take a couple of trips a year to Calif from AZ. When there I will buy my blanks and bring blanks back with me.

Last edited:
    Reactions: dsl and Dbado1
    Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat
    Limited load cattle car
    I agree if you have to ship rods yourself, USPS is still the cheapest but print the shipping label online from home and just drop off the tube at your local post office. I've had a few instances where I ran out of printer ink and brought the tube in, wanting the clerk to print the label there. Even though I give the exact dimensions and weight, their PC will try to charge an "oversized" shipping fee. My shipping tube is always well under 108" long and 3-4" wide, less than 8 lbs. Then their "quoted" price goes up to $142 or more...🙄

Upvote 0

Dbado1

Almost A Member
  • Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat
    Toyota tundra
    Yup, it's weird. Some vendors get it many don't. Check out the classifieds here...it's all "free local pick up"... which is anything but free. Time, fuel, etc. all add to cost. At least the buyer gets to inspect the goods before purchase. I'll just stick to a reputable vendor who understands how to ship something. I was looking at a 8' blank on eBay...the blank cost was $100.00 the shipping cost was $166.00! I messaged the guy and asked him why he didn't just print a USPS lable for it and ship it for about $30.00 (I would have bought it) he tells me that it would be a violation of eBay policy!?

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    n eBay...the blank cost was $100.00 the shipping cost was $166.00! I messaged the guy and asked him why he didn't just print a USPS lable for it and ship it for about $30.00
    Thats how money is made, on Ebay, Shipping!

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Mudehole, shipping is free, if you buy over $49.99 worth of stuff, I have received 8ft blanks as part of that free shipping.

Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none
    Okay, rant over.
    Dean

its not the business or private sellers fault check the prices yourself on usps, ups, or fedex

make sure u put the length at 97” even though it really needs to be longer for ups to cover a breakage

Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none
    I agree if you have to ship rods yourself, USPS is still the cheapest but print the shipping label online from home and just drop off the tube at your local post office. I've had a few instances where I ran out of printer ink and brought the tube in, wanting the clerk to print the label there. Even though I give the exact dimensions and weight, their PC will try to charge an "oversized" shipping fee. My shipping tube is always well under 108" long and 3-4" wide, less than 8 lbs. Then their "quoted" price goes up to $142 or more...🙄
    u cant ship it 108” long 🤣 total measurement has to be 108 but total lenght for usps has to be 96 or less i think

kuyamonster
    kuyamonster
    Oops. I meant to say I personally never ship anything that long. But to clarify, yes Mike correct. 98" on a non- rectangular package is the maximum length for USPS, designated ground delivery. I've shipped both 3 & 4 inch diameter tubes no problem. Go over 98" and YIKES, that fee skyrockets! 😳
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    Most companies charge an upcharge on shipping because its more stuff they have to pay for. For instance: the tube/box, shipping label, padding material, "handling fee" to take the time to package it up, and insurance costs. Its also a higher risk the rod will be broken in transit and they may lose out on money since they have to prove to USPS that it was their fault and not a shipping container error, and as someone who packaged and insured a 500$ rod in the past that broke through USPS, they are not that easy to deal with and have strict policies about how stuff has to be packaged.

As for USPS, the max is 8ft 2in long without incurring the upcharge, but thats at a 3in round container. If you try to go bigger, they get an upcharge. You can get away with shipping longer stuff sometimes, but if its too long, it wont fit in the truck and they bill you after, especially if you pay online. They automatically deduct it from paypal or your bank card saying you underpaid and you owe them money.

Now, shipping is not expensive. Ive shipped 8ft rods from LA to Florida, New York, Texas, Arkansas, and many other states. Shipping tipically ranges from CA local at around 10-20$ plus tube, to 30-40$ accross country plus tube. Most sellers here dont want to deal with shipping because its a hassle. It adds to the price, people complain, and takes time to do all of that. If im selling a rod and you want me to ship it, Im going to add the shipping cost and throw on another 10-15$ just because youre going to make me go out of my way to do all of the above for you. If youre local, I will meet you halfway. We both take the time, drive the distance, and both take care of our transaction and no one incurs any extra charges. If you want me to do everything, I add a 10$ delivery charge for gas. I was willing to drive halfway to meet you and if its going to cost me 10$ in gas to get to you, I will charge you the 10$ its going to cost. If you drive to me, il knock a couple bucks off the rod.

Have not used fedex or UPS to ship stuff because they charge a shit ton no matter what. Minimum of like 20$ and goes up to 180$. Not worth it.

Reactions: Dbado1 and dsl